Titans Trade for Tannehill, Release Gabbert

Jonboy

The Titans have actually done really well for a team that has only had 2 seasons where they had a full 16 game slate played by their starting QB, 2002 McNair,2011 Hasselbeck. Out of their first 20 seasons Tennessee only managed to have a starting QB play all 16 games 2 times out of 20 seasons but still managed to put up 170 wins regular/postseason good for 11th overall in wins.

Total Wins By NFL Franchises Last 20 Seasons 1999-2018 (Regular & Postseason)

Also below are the only teams above .500 their first 20 seasons overall.....

1-Pats 263

2-Steelers 218

3-Colts 216

4-Pack 204

5-Eagles 200

6-Ravens 199

7-Seahawks 193

8-Broncos 188

9-Saints 182

10-Cowboys 171/Giants 171

11-Titans 170/Chargers 170/Vikings 170

12-Panthers 168/Falcons 168

Just imagine how much better the Titans record would be if we had say a Phillip Rivers the past 15 years. Anyway we are literally a single solitary win from being in the top 10 in wins the past 20 years and with a roster that only had a QB play the full season just 2 times out of 20 seasons.

Even Vince Young had a lot of game winning drives when he was here and had a couple major comebacks like the 21 point comeback vs Giants. VY only problem was being lazy and immature other than that he played well at times and times he didnt due to not studying enough but by no means was he a bust. Out of 4 franchise QB's McNair,VY,Locker and Mariota only one was a flat out and out bust Locker. All the rest had double digit comeback wins,saw playoff action,back to back winning seasons EXCEPT Locker.

We won games just like we always did after VY replaced McNair. In Mariota's first 4 years he actually led the NFL in comeback wins 1 year and has 3 straight winning seasons. The ONLY surefire BUST was QB Jake Locker here 4 years and had 1 single solitary comeback and 3 game winning drives and VY was here the same amount of time and had nearly 15 comebacks and 7 winning drives. Locker sucked and was the main reason we had 4 straight losing seasons. Locker was the only QB we had who didnt see a playoff game in his tenure.

We also had 4 GM's Reese,Reinfeldt,Webster and Robinson. Stick Webster's ass right there with Locker both sucked and both were the only ones not to see any playoff action or winning seasons. Webster/Locker was the only miss in the first 20 years here in Tennessee.

Edited by MIKE75

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Given their injury history Mariota and Tannehill might just be able to cover a full 16 game regular season schedule.

Part of my job is keeping up with tech news, software updates, bugs, etc. so I have twitter open all day at work. I use Tweetdeck and have it docked to the side of my screen at all times. So when some

Posted Images

Take Webster's tenure out as GM and below is what the Titans record looks like minus Webster's 4 straight disastrous losing seasons. Also According to Jim Wyatt, “Even before Ruston Webster replaced Mike Reinfeldt as Titans general manager in January 2012 he had a hand in some decisions BUT was not GM until January 2012.

Look below and see how much it looks different taking out Webster's disaster of a 4 year tenure 2012-2015.

1999-13-3---Reese

2000-13-3---Reese

2001- 7-9----Reese

2002-11-5---Reese

2003-12-4---Reese

2004- 5-11---Reese

2005- 4-12---Reese

2006- 8-8-----Reese

2007-10-6----Reinfeldt

2008-13-3-----Reinfeldt

2009- 8-8------Reinfeldt

2010- 6-10----Reinfeldt

2011- 9-7------Reinfeldt

2016- 9-7-----Robinson

2017- 9-7-----Robinson

2018- 9-7------Robinson

On 3/15/2019 at 7:59 PM, Tim said:

There have been narratives on this board that you shouldn’t try to upgrade at backup QB because they “all suck”. I never understood that mentality. Thankfully Robinson doesn’t either. 

Same here never understood it argued against it and glad that our GM sees the need as well. For a long time on this board i've been saying that if we had a strong team why throw a good season down the drain just because the starter gets hurt. Yet over and over posters would say that if the starter gets hurt thats it its over. Which is wrong. We saw recently a backup QB win a Super Bowl!!

So if you have a good team it makes all the sense in the world to have a good backup QB. Foles the backup QB to Wentz helped Philly win a title. What if Philly decided to have the mentality of the posters here who said the season is basically over if the starter gets hurt?? They never would've won a title.

Some teams dont care and have a weak backup QB but most teams nowadays try to have a good number 2 just in case. Brady has Hoyer as a backup. Brees has Bridgewater. Eagles had Foles. Vikings at one point had Bradford. Now in case Mariota goes down they have a good backup in Tannehill.

11 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Annual ydg averages over the time they've been in the league

Romo: 2442

Rodgers: 3067

Luck: 3381

Mariota: 3001

Mariota has missed an avg of 1.75 Game Per Year.

Luck: 3.42 GPY

Rodgers: 1.45 GPY after initially sat for 3 years.

Romo: 2.54 GPY

All pretty comparable actually.  But carry on with your narrative.

Do the same comparison for TD's.....Or # of years where they played the entire season. 

11 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Do the same comparison for TD's.....Or # of years where they played the entire season. 

How about the number of years they didn't play at all in a season, or missed most of the season.

Oman is trying to claim the reason QBs get hurt is because they process too slowly, looking to reinforce another of his BS narratives.

So I think the point has been proven that he's wrong, yet again.

YMMV

2 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

Take Webster's tenure out as GM and below is what the Titans record looks like minus Webster's 4 straight disastrous losing seasons. Also According to Jim Wyatt, “Even before Ruston Webster replaced Mike Reinfeldt as Titans general manager in January 2012 he had a hand in some decisions BUT was not GM until January 2012.

Look below and see how much it looks different taking out Webster's disaster of a 4 year tenure 2012-2015.

1999-13-3---Reese

2000-13-3---Reese

2001- 7-9----Reese

2002-11-5---Reese

2003-12-4---Reese

2004- 5-11---Reese

2005- 4-12---Reese

2006- 8-8-----Reese

2007-10-6----Reinfeldt

2008-13-3-----Reinfeldt

2009- 8-8------Reinfeldt

2010- 6-10----Reinfeldt

2011- 9-7------Reinfeldt

2016- 9-7-----Robinson

2017- 9-7-----Robinson

2018- 9-7------Robinson

Take out the losing seasons in 2001, 2004, 2005, and 2010 and then it will look even better!

One playoff win since 2003. 

One season in the Tennessee era with more than 1 playoff win in a season. 

FWIW, the franchise has only done that 3 times (78/79 where they lost to the Steelers in the AFCC).

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

How about the number of years they didn't play at all in a season, or missed most of the season.

Oman is trying to claim the reason QBs get hurt is because they process too slowly, looking to reinforce another of his BS narratives.

So I think the point has been proven that he's wrong, yet again.

YMMV

I'm sure in some cases, he's right.  In the same vein that some QB's take sacks that are on them, not the OL.

I didn't take what he said applies to all QB injuries.   

1 hour ago, MIKE75 said:

Same here never understood it argued against it and glad that our GM sees the need as well. For a long time on this board i've been saying that if we had a strong team why throw a good season down the drain just because the starter gets hurt. Yet over and over posters would say that if the starter gets hurt thats it its over. Which is wrong. We saw recently a backup QB win a Super Bowl!!

So if you have a good team it makes all the sense in the world to have a good backup QB. Foles the backup QB to Wentz helped Philly win a title. What if Philly decided to have the mentality of the posters here who said the season is basically over if the starter gets hurt?? They never would've won a title.

Some teams dont care and have a weak backup QB but most teams nowadays try to have a good number 2 just in case. Brady has Hoyer as a backup. Brees has Bridgewater. Eagles had Foles. Vikings at one point had Bradford. Now in case Mariota goes down they have a good backup in Tannehill.

I think it very much varies.  If you are a team with an elite QB that goes down, you are in all likelihood fucked.  Philly was an interesting case as Wentz was in the MVP hunt when he tore his ACL in week 13.  Foles came in and was pretty pedestrian until playing lights out in the playoffs (like Flacco did in 2012).  The Giants won a SB with Hostetler in 90 after Simms went down late in the year but that was a defensive/ball control team that won in the last seconds both in the NFCC and SB. 

Indy with Manning was a SB contending team.  Without him, they went 2-14 and drafted Luck.  If NE lost Brady and Hoyer is at QB, sorry they are not winning the SB. 

Tannehill and Mariota are close enough in ability that if/when Mariota gets injured or struggles, they could plug in Tannehill and not have to see a huge drop off.  Saying that, it's more of a commentary of the type of player Mariota is.

46 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

They fell in love with the mobile QB and that's the downside - they tend to get injured more. 

Personally, i don't think mobile QBs get more hurt because they are mobile but instead because they tend to have much slighter frames than the pocket guys. Mariota, Tannehill, RG3, etc, just  look fragile and thier bodies just don't hold up to the punishment. I've been saying for a while now that Mariota needs to gain like 10-15 to cushion himself against the hits. Russell Wilson is probably the most mobile QB in the league and he rarely gets hurt mainly because he's built like a damn RB at 5'10" 207. Cam's big ass only really got hurt because he actively tries to truck defenders which is obviously dumb. 

Just now, Mythos27 said:

Personally, i don't think mobile QBs get more hurt because they are mobile but instead because they tend to have much slighter frames than the pocket guys. Mariota, Tannehill, RG3, etc, just  look fragile and thier bodies just don't hold up to the punishment. I've been saying for a while now that Mariota needs to gain like 10-15 to cushion himself against the hits. Russell Wilson is probably the most mobile QB in the league and he rarely gets hurt mainly because he's built like a damn RB at 5'10" 207. Cam's big ass only really got hurt because he actively tries to truck defenders which is obviously dumb. 

Build is part of it sure - to your point Wilson has been durable but in addition he has the best feel I've ever seen for avoiding hits by sliding or running out of bounds when he does run.  His football intelligence and instincts are pretty rare in that regard.

Mariota and RGIII don't have that.  Mariota takes way too many unnecessary hits and it doesn't help his duability.

Just now, BudAdams said:

Build is part of it sure - to your point Wilson has been durable but in addition he has the best feel I've ever seen for avoiding hits by sliding or running out of bounds when he does run.  His football intelligence and instincts are pretty rare in that regard.

Mariota and RGIII don't have that.  Mariota takes way too many unnecessary hits and it doesn't help his duability.

Definitely. While RG3 had literally no sense on when or how to avoid getting hit, I actually think Mariota does. Mariota's problem is that every once in a while something comes over him and he decides he's gonna be the hero and either makes a block he shouldn't be attempting or tries to get that extra yard when he should already be sliding. Prime example is that hit on Henry's run vs the Giants. I loved it and it hypes the team up to see their QB going hard out there but if he'd dislocated his shoulder or something it would just look stupid. He knows better, he just makes some bad decisions sometimes. I agree it needs to stop.