Titans Trade for Tannehill, Release Gabbert

Jonboy

3 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Clearly hedges against Mariota with someone that is just as good or better in Tanneyhill.

Or as NashvilleNinja would say, we have our Joe Montana/Steve Young!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Given their injury history Mariota and Tannehill might just be able to cover a full 16 game regular season schedule.

Part of my job is keeping up with tech news, software updates, bugs, etc. so I have twitter open all day at work. I use Tweetdeck and have it docked to the side of my screen at all times. So when some

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Titan8425 said:

Just some more food for thought:

ESPN reported Miami originally was going to pay 3.5 mil vs 5 of the guarantee, but upped it most likely to buy the 4th next yr.  

Hey Touched, remember what I told you about the cammo.

"8MM makes me think of "8 Mike Mike" like "40 Mike Mike" as in 40mm grenade launcher!"

Screams Tard Army doesn't it?

25 minutes ago, Huston said:

Didn't even consider this point

Mike Herndon‏ @MikeMiracles 2

"After pondering the Tannehill deal for a while I really think there is almost zero downside for the Titans. Since MIA is paying $5M of Tannehill’s $7M guaranteed and the Titans are saving $1.5M by releasing Gabbert, it’s a net add of $500k to the cap for 2019. Not bad...at all. The 4th round pick in 2020 isn’t a huge price for a cheap, very competent backup QB, but even better, the Titans could possibly flip Tannehill next offseason and get that pick (or more) back. If they let him walk and don’t end up signing a big FA class themselves...they could end up netting a 2021 4th or 5th round comp pick for Tannehill. If that happens, the whole deal might end up being a lot closer to free than it looks right now AND the Titans aren’t completely screwed if Mariota’s injury issues rear their head again. Win, win, win."

Exactly.

And what competent GM wouldn't make that move?

JRob KILLIN' it out there in FA Land.

28 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Basically:

Dolphins - Getting out of that massive amount of money they were going to owe a backup QB that was not in their future plans, even though they had to pay him $5M to do so.

Titans - Finally get a competent, starter-quality backup who can legitimately keep the team's goals on semi-track in case Mariota goes down who they didn't have to give up a shit ton for.

Mutual win/win for both teams.

Everything else? Narratives, opinions, and bullshit.

There have been narratives on this board that you shouldn’t try to upgrade at backup QB because they “all suck”. I never understood that mentality. Thankfully Robinson doesn’t either. 

It was already quite clear the Mariota’s future was cloudy;  this was underscored by  JRob’s comments after the season .   Marcus is obviously the de facto starter for 2019...but his status beyond that is very much TBD and hinges on what happens this year.