Jonboy

Titans Releasing Josh Kline

Huston   
6 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

And signed him to a deal he could get out of easily.  Kline played well before he got paid.  Who knew Kline would pull a CJ?

Right, everyone was surprised how well he played and wondered why New England let him go.

Edited by Huston

tgo   
3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Spain was better than Kline. Both the tape and analytics confirmed that and it's really not that debatable. What you had in your favor was that it was clear the FO preferred Kline for reasons no one really understood but now that Kline has been sent packing it shows that even they didn't  like him as much as we thought they did. 

Most likely because he was assignment sound and Spain wasn't. 

10 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Spain was better than Kline. Both the tape and analytics confirmed that and it's really not that debatable. What you had in your favor was that it was clear the FO preferred Kline for reasons no one really understood but now that Kline has been sent packing it shows that even they didn't  like him as much as we thought they did. 

Saying Spain was better than Kline is like saying death by hanging is better than death by strychnine ingestion.

Is it true? Maybe, but both suck.

Nash   

Since Henry runs better to the outside zone, does that mean anything as to how we build the iol?? 

We were always going to draft an interior O-lineman. So now we HAVE to draft a STARTING RG. Or a starting center and slide Jones to RG. The guy has to be an improvement over Kline.

I don't think this is too big of a task, I've been thinking we need to draft an interior O-lineman, an edge rusher and a D-lineman who can get pressure up the middle in the early rounds. 

Not a bad number of holes considering. Houston still needs two starting tackles from the draft unless they are planning on keeping one of their back up caliber tackles starting. Also, their secondary was a problem last year and it got worse. 

Edited by Tex in a Can

Mythos27   
Just now, tgo said:

Most likely because he was assignment sound and Spain wasn't. 

It's the only plausible reason but even that isn't substantiated to the level of a fact by any legitimate sources. 

Soxcat   

It is debatable now after last season if Kline was really that much better in the coaches eyes.  They obviously made the decision to move on with both OGs. 

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Saying Spain was better than Kline is like saying death by hanging is better than death by strychnine ingestion.

Is it true? Maybe, but both suck.

Spain rated out much better than Kline.  It was also obvious watching the games Spain was way less of a problem.  I think the deal with Spain is they just wanted a little more athletic zone blocking OGs and signed one of the best in the NFL.   I also think JRob knows Pamphile can easily step in for Kline making Kline, and his contract, expendable.  If Kline takes the cut in pay and stays he is probably a depth player.  Obviously this opens the door for JRob to draft another OG but he isn't forced to use an early pick.  He can take a C or OG when they have the best value.  Pamphile is a decent enough player if they have to go with him.

17 minutes ago, Nash said:

Since Henry runs better to the outside zone, does that mean anything as to how we build the iol?? 

See, that's what makes the acquisition of Grasu earlier this offseason so interesting.  Pulling to the outside on run plays to the right was something Grasu always excelled at.

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Holy shit. I dont check the board for 4 hours and this happens? Nice to know jrob doesnt let mistakes linger.

im awake and sober at 4:20 am because of this shit. 

6 hours ago, tgo said:

Hah holy shit this is surprising to me. 

I don't like Kline so this is fine by me, he was tossed around like a rag doll. 

I am shocked. Relieved, but shocked. He was AWFUL. But I thought the money forced us to keep him. JRob has elephant balls.

@woolfolksunclesuncle any intel on JRob's balls? I haven't seen em.

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

This was great news to wake up to, JRob admitting an error and fixing it.

What it also does is better align one of our top needs in the draft to what is likely to be available at 19, have been campaigning for a while that IOL/TE should strongly be considered at pick #19 because personally I believe the options at IOL/TE are going to be highest graded players than the 5th Edge guy who might be available or the 4th-5th IDL.

Never understood why many were so against IOL at 19 especially when guys like Cody Ford, Garrett Bradbury or Chris Lindstrom could be available, any of them could be plug and play guys for the next decade.

Would also point out that Titans OL Coach Keith Carter spent a tonne of time watching/working out Cody Ford at the Oklahoma Pro Day, if available he would be a beast at RG with the upside of being an insurance policy at RT should Conklin struggle again or not be retained long term.

AMEN! I think you and I have been two of the biggest proponents that TE/IOL are just the positions where the value of those guys at our pick is higher than some of the other defenders. I would love to get a stud OLB/IDL but speaking realistically the guys who actually could have a big impact could very likely be off the board by the time we are on the clock.