Jonboy

Titans Releasing Josh Kline

tgo   
4 minutes ago, NewsToTom said:

Jones at RG would be a reprise of the Leroy Harris experience, except maybe not as good. I can't see them doing that. Saffold was a (left) tackle early in his career, I'd move him to RG 10/10 before I put Jones there.

Why do you say this Tom?

Just don't think Jones is an adequate guard?

7 minutes ago, tgo said:

It was interesting hearing Robinson talk about Grasu at the combine. He actually made a point of saying he's mostly played center, downplaying Kuharsky asking him about Grasu playing guard, with I thought was weird at the time. 

I could see Grasu starting at center with his rapport with Mariota and Jones moving to LG if they don't want to start Levin. Grasu has been working out with Mariota all offseason. 

Grasu was a really promising player that got derailed by injuries. 

I can't see them moving Saffold out of his regular position though.  I think he's a LG period.

As far as Marcus and Hroniss working out together, that may just be Marcus teaching him the protection calls.

Or it could just be their friendship.  They were best buds and roomies at Oregon.

So much of Hroniss' game was about his mobility that I believe his playing time will be dictated by how well he's recovered from his injury.  If you go back and watch Oregon's running game, more often than not if the play goes to the right, Hroniss would pull from center and lead the charge around the right end. 

When Chip Kelly was in Philly, Jason Kelce became that guy too.  The pulling center is one of CK's trademarks.

Soxcat   

Saffold played RG for the Rams after moving from LT.  So he has played both sides and OT. 

In fact he might be JRob's emergency plan at OT if Conklin doesn't work out or we have injuries. 

abc2330   
51 minutes ago, tgo said:

Any chance we see Levin in the starting lineup?  They seem to like him, though he clearly wasn't ready last year.

tgo   
3 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I can't see them moving Saffold out of his regular position though.  I think he's a LG period.

As far as Marcus and Hroniss working out together, that may just be Marcus teaching him the protection calls.

Or it could just be their friendship.  They were best buds and roomies at Oregon.

So much of Hroniss' game was about his mobility that I believe his playing time will be dictated by how well he's recovered from his injury.  If you go back and watch Oregon's running game, more often than not if the play goes to the right, Hroniss would pull from center and lead the charge around the right end. 

When Chip Kelly was in Philly, Jason Kelce became that guy too.  The pulling center is one of CK's trademarks.

Sorry I meant RG. 

Obviously Saffold will stay at LG next to Lewan. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

tgo   
Just now, abc2330 said:

Any chance we see Levin in the starting lineup?  They seem to like him, though he clearly wasn't ready last year.

Yeah, definitely a chance. He played pretty well at center last year. 

AvgJoe   
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Major props to JRob here for being willing to make this move. Another mistake he's admitting and moving on from, despite the contract. It does give us $3.5 million in projected dead money, but frees up $3.25 million as well.

Jones to RG and draft Bradbury to be the new C. 

My prediction is similar. Jones to RG, Sullivan signed for C

tgo   
Just now, AvgJoe said:

My prediction is similar. Jones to RG, Sullivan signed for C

Definite possibility. 

BudAdams   
2 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

It is good when JRob corrects his mistakes.

Giving him that big contract is a mistake that pretty much everyone thought was a mistake as he made it though. Maybe don't make this kind of bad move in the first place!

Exactly.  It never made sense to give him that deal.

tgo   
5 minutes ago, NewsToTom said:

Yeah. I ended up writing a lot about those Texans teams, so I watched them closely. That right side of the line fell off a cliff after they lost Brisiel at RG. They tried Jones and a few other guys there, basically stopped running right (they went from balanced to like 2/3 left-handed, which is crazy), and heavy front teams just beat the tar out of him. He'd be a downgrade from Kline.

Good to know, thanks for the info. 

I guess we should trash that idea then

Edited by tgo

abc2330   
8 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

It is good when JRob corrects his mistakes.

Giving him that big contract is a mistake that pretty much everyone thought was a mistake as he made it though. Maybe don't make this kind of bad move in the first place!

I don't understand the issues with his deal.  He was an adequate starter at that point.  He actually graded out in the top 5 as far as pass protecting efficiency was concerned for Gs.  No doubt you could do better, but at what cost?  Easier to cut ties now.