Beto O'Rourke announces he's running for president in 2020

OILERMAN

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So conservatives, any crime, no matter how seemingly minor, is important to whether someone should be president?

I'm beginning to get the sense that Rolltide doesn't like any of the Democratic candidates. Weird.

Beto is taking a ton of shots from the Twitter Bernie Sanders supporters and from the right wing. Shows that they both seem to see him as the biggest threat in the primary and general elections respec

Posted Images

This is interesting:  O'Rourke came close to the vote of Cruz and it was not an increase in Hispanic nor youth vote - he got a good share of the White vote. So throw-in the minority and youth increased turnout of a presidential election and ====

Nate Cohn: “His relatively close loss is promising for the party because he did not take full advantage of the longer-term trends that might put it over the top sooner than later. His strength came almost exclusively from white voters, not from the growing Hispanic population in the state.”

“Mr. O’Rourke’s close result wasn’t because of an exceptional turnout that will be hard for other Democrats to repeat in 2020. Republican voters, defined as those who have participated in a recent Republican primary, turned out at a higher rate than Democratic ones. Neither the Hispanic nor youth voter share of the electorate was higher than it was in 2016, when President Trump won the state by nine points.”

“On the contrary, Democrats in 2020 can be expected to enjoy a more favorable turnout because presidential races tend to draw in more young and Hispanic voters.”

What state was THE republican state of the 1950s, 60, 70s and 80s?  During that time period, when one thought of what state represented republicans it was California.    Things change.  Democrats could have a popular Hispanic running for Senator and O'Rourke running for President.  Add to that:

"Texas is going to be ground zero for House seats pickup. Democrats have a chance to pickup 2-4 House seats, the biggest haul they can expect in any state this cycle."

O'rourke and Castor would mean Republicans would have to spend serious money defending the next republican state to flip democrat in the near future just as California did.   Texas Republicans have always been timid on immigration so as not to make that flip come early.  Trump has upset that mood. 

Edited by 9 Nines

32 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

If a marketing department designed a candidate to meet the overall demands of the country, it would be him. 

Yeah, just with a little bit too strong a touch of naivete and lack of executive experience. 

8 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

You mean the ones that predicted Obama over Hillary in 2008? Yeah, I’m not too worried about your opinion...

So did I.

But I thought it was obvious I was making a throwback to our positions before 2016 election. I mean we give each other on this board shit like this all the time. I was actually pretty tame. Lighten up.

Edited by Legaltitan

Something else about Texas and why O'rourke will help so much: 

Texas is one of the highest property tax states in the country. State property tax is ~1.95%.  In the suburbs, there is an additional 1 to 2% for Municipal Utility Districts.    Almost all the growing suburbs are paying 3 to 4%.    The republican tax bill cut off deduction of property and other local taxes at $10K.   Do the math.  So people with houses valued, for taxes, over ~$350K are seeing their deductions limited.   And unless they make millions a year, people who the tax bill was designed to help, which they are not, they are paying more federal income taxes than before.  And the majority of those people likely voted Republican in the past.  So unless they like paying more taxes, some of them are likely going to rethink their Republican votes. Add to that the already growing pressure against Republicans in American suburbs because of Trump, which is where most of those homes are, and you get ===================

So Republicans are already going to have to spend serious money in Texas to defend the Senate and more House seats, but O'rourke, would add to the Republican cash drain even more.  No he probably would not win Texas but he would mean $10s of million more Republicans would have to spend there. 

Edited by 9 Nines