Sign in to follow this  
Number9

2019 Top FA's

Number9   

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-updated-top-101-nfl-free-agents

Rodger Safford  #22

He's the top guard available, with his dominant performance against Cowboys linebackers Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch in the playoffs fresh in the minds of decision makers. Don't be shocked if Saffold becomes the league's highest-paid guard, despite the fact that he'll turn 31 in June. 
UPDATE: The Titans are signing Saffold to a four-year, $44 million contract that includes $22.5 million guaranteed, Rapoport reports.

Adam Humphries #47

Good football player alert::Humphries is a tough slot receiver with good hands, easy separation between the numbers and a punt returner's ability to make something out of nothing after the catch. Julian Edelman -- after taxes. 
UPDATE: The Titans are signing Humphries to a four-year, $36 million contract, Pelissero and Garafolo report.

Cameron Wake  #54

Although no longer a double-digit sack artist at 37, Wake still has enough life in his legs to help a Super Bowl contender as a rotational edge rusher. 
UPDATE: The Titans are signing Wake to a three-year deal worth $23 million (with $10 million guaranteed), Pelissero reports.

Kenny Vaccaro  #62

Although largely ignored in free agency one year ago, Vaccaro joined the Titans in August and immediately solidified their secondary. He's averaged more than 800 snaps in his six seasons. 
UPDATE: The Titans are re-signing Vaccaro to a four-year, $26 million contract that includes $11.5 million in guarantees, Rapoport reports.

Teams labeled the early winners

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-early-winners-from-2019-nfl-free-agency-blitz

Lions   Browns  Eagles   Bills   Packers   

Edited by Number9

Number9   

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26248069/2019-nfl-free-agency-winners-losers-steelers-stars-breaking-up

ON THE FENCE

TENNESSEE TITANS

The Titans were one of the most active teams in the NFL this week, making three major deals by signing offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, receiver Adam Humphries and defensive end Cameron Wake while also re-signing Vaccaro at safety. I'm just not certain what to make of it.

On the one hand, giving Wake $10 million guaranteed at age 37 seems excessively hopeful. But on the other, giving relatively inaccurate quarterback Marcus Mariota a productive slot receiver in Humphries seems like a good idea. Saffold, assuming he is healthy, fits the smash-mouth run style the Titans are expected to pursue.

I understand the Titans' incentive after they were in the AFC South division race until Week 17 last season. But will this eclectic haul do anything to push them past the Texans and Colts? We'll leave the Titans in the winner/loser purgatory for now.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

The Titans got some ink in this one.

Le'Veon Bell

Bell has been getting bad press saying he lost holding out.  Opinions usually are "he's not making as much now as... blah b blah"  I think the Steelers lost.  They lost the division to a weak Ravens team.  The three B's became the one B and the organization is in the worse shape I have seen, regardless of how they want to tell the story.  They will have to rethink how they handle players.

LaVeon Bell got 35M guaranteed.  Minus 14M the Steelers were going to pay him equals 21M.  The Steelers played Bell under the tag and told him he could leave.  They reneged and lost him.  The Steelers had used him 420 times in 2017 and their plan was to do that many or more in 2018, so he could possibly have been done by the end of the year.  Bell also earned his manhood by saying to them, you can't just mistreat me.  Priceless.   I seriously doubt AB would have done what he did if Bell played the season and the team probably would to the playoffs.  The Steelers lost a lot.

People say we spent too much on no name players. But they don't know football. I kinda scratch my head about Cam Wake, but the other signings were clutch. 

We got to cut some fat off cap by signing the guys we did. We also gave ourselves some breathing room to go BPA or trade back regardless of who falls at #19. 

Soxcat   

After further analysis Wake makes perfect sense. 

His 2018 season, which earned an overall grade of 81.6 and a pass-rushing grade of 81.1 (15th and 11th, respectively, among qualifying edge defenders last year) more than proved that Wake is far from the grasp of Father Time, as the veteran pass-rusher still managed to produce 54 total pressures from his 313 pass-rush snaps on the year. His pass-rush win rate of 21.7% ranked fourth among edge defenders with at least 100 pass-rushing snaps, while his pass-rushing productivity of 21.0 ranked third at the position, beating out notable names like Khalil Mack (18.2), Von Miller (16.8) and J.J. Watt (15.0).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-titans-get-one-of-the-best-sign-cameron-wake-to-a-three-year-contract

54 pressures in 300 snaps.  4th best % in NFL.  That is exactly what we needed.  He will be a situational pass rusher playing around 300 snaps. 

Might be the best bargain out there.  Obviously now it is a question of how much and for how long he can keep playing at a high level. 

4 minutes ago, ctm said:

With Wake, Landry, Correa and Finch all on the roster, the question now is what kind of priority is OLB?

Who knows. I think we can wait to add another young piece. A 1st doesnt seem necessary

ctm   
1 minute ago, headhunter said:

Who knows. I think we can wait to add another young piece. A 1st doesnt seem necessary

My gut instinct is that they wouldn't have paid Wake and still plan to use a high pick.

1 hour ago, ctm said:

My gut instinct is that they wouldn't have paid Wake and still plan to use a high pick.

I think wake is as much a player-coach as anything. They'll limit his snaps to even less than he got last year in miami if they are smart. ~40%

I dont think it will effect the draft if theres a guy they like there. 

But i still think the plan all along has been to get the best Dline Guy available to help out Casey. Im surprised we havent gone there even a bit during FA.

Edited by titanruss

Huston   
15 minutes ago, titanruss said:

I think wake is as much a player-coach as anything. They'll limit his snaps to even less than he got last year in miami if they are smart. ~40%

I dont think it will effect the draft if theres a guy they like there. 

But i still think the plan all along has been to get the best Dline Guy available to help out Casey. Im surprised we havent gone there even a bit during FA.

There is still time, I'm done trying to predict what they will do in free agency. But I dont think there is anyone out there that is reasonable better then what they have on the Dline right now outside of Suh, scream draft to me.

7 minutes ago, Huston said:

There is still time, I'm done trying to predict what they will do in free agency. But I dont think there is anyone out there that is reasonable better then what they have on the Dline right now outside of Suh, scream draft to me.

Yeah.. maybe Muhammed Wilkerson if hes still got any juice left but Its getting so far deep on Dline and edge guys that its impossible to guess. 

Number9   

Okay.  Today, the Titans showed they are serious.  Up until this point, the elephant was still in the room.  Nobody was saying much, but he was still crowding space.  Today, by signing Ryan Tannehill the Titans added a bonus room.  The AFC South is a tough division.  Last season, we had two teams in the playoffs with the Titans being a near miss.  Titans have to be solid in every phase of the game to compete with the Colts and Houston, plus we have to beat Jacksonville.  

So far, we have addressed all key areas of need and it's obvious they are nowhere near done.

Mixed early reviews.  See Two Takes Below.

SKIP TO THE 2:55 MARK ON THE ONE BELOW

Edited by Number9