Free Solo

TampaTitan

This doc was in some theaters last fall, but finally made its way to television recently on Nat Geo. If you haven't seen it, it's a must watch. The absolute most incredible athletic feat I've ever seen. You think you've got balls? Watch.

Was just watching Joe Rogan's interview with that guy last night. Well, I was watching an interview he did with a Navy seal and they brought up this guy. Then I went watched that interview. I'm surprised the guy even has the energy to do that given how much strength it must take to carry balls that big with him.

I saw this clip a couple weeks ago.    I won't pretend to know anything at all about it...hell, I can barely climb a set of steps.  But it's interesting hearing a guy who does it at a master level reviewing and critiquing the way free climbing is portrayed in Hollywood films.

Ok, after watching some of the movie on Nat Geo I get why he does what he does. I have to wonder if he isn't a bit sociopathic. Not that he's a serial killer or anything evil like that, but his brain just doesn't function the way a lot of other people's brains function.

They even get into it in the movie a bit where they show him getting a brain scan and it showed a pretty substantial decrease in activity in the amygdala. The doctor was saying that what passes for stimulation for most people doesn't really apply for him, that it really takes a lot to get him stimulated to the level of other people.

Depression and a more nihilistic view of life probably helps to inform his life's choices too. I mean, if he fell to his death he said he'd prefer to be alone instead of having other people there to witness it.

He just seems like a really chill guy with an extremely not chill passtime. Hopefully he satisfies the itch he feels to climb soon because I get the feeling we'll be hearing about his death pretty soon if he doesn't.

7 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Ok, after watching some of the movie on Nat Geo I get why he does what he does. I have to wonder if he isn't a bit sociopathic. Not that he's a serial killer or anything evil like that, but his brain just doesn't function the way a lot of other people's brains function.

They even get into it in the movie a bit where they show him getting a brain scan and it showed a pretty substantial decrease in activity in the amygdala. The doctor was saying that what passes for stimulation for most people doesn't really apply for him, that it really takes a lot to get him stimulated to the level of other people.

Depression and a more nihilistic view of life probably helps to inform his life's choices too. I mean, if he fell to his death he said he'd prefer to be alone instead of having other people there to witness it.

He just seems like a really chill guy with an extremely not chill passtime. Hopefully he satisfies the itch he feels to climb soon because I get the feeling we'll be hearing about his death pretty soon if he doesn't.

Agreed on all of this. It's like they said in the movie, if you're constantly pushing yourself and searching to find the edge, you're eventually going to find it. When you consider how young he is, you gotta imagine he's going to be doing this for a long, long time. The odds are not in his favor.

Archived