Legaltitan

OFFICIAL Biden thread, since it looks like he's getting in

1 hour ago, ctm said:

There are multiple ways to win an election. One is to persuade swing voters to come to your side.  Another is to turnout more non-voters of your persuasion to the polls.

Obviously you would like to do both.  One of my fears about Biden is that he can't do both.  I don't see him inspiring marginal non-voters of the young, ethnically diverse type to turnout. 

Trump will inspire them to vote. It’s Trump and the other guy .. just have to wait to find out who “not Trump” is 

5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Except when they show Biden losing ground in the primary after a debate, then everyone’s all over it. 

It’s not one poll anyway, every general election poll done so far shows Biden beating Trump and beating him with bigger margins than any other candidate. This has been the case for months on end. 

I think looking at one poll to show that Biden is ahead with young voters now is silly. Unless it's been a trend in several polls (has it?) I wouldn't claim he's winning them "now."

I think posting the new polls (multiple) that come out after an event is interesting. A trend starts to emerge.

Generally I like to look as at much of an overview as I can, such as this article.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-2020-polls-front-runner_n_5d2508eee4b07e698c42435a?8af

Even this though, while interesting, is mostly not worth much in the long run! It's so early. A lot can change.

Biden definitely has the best general election numbers right now. His trend seems to be negative in metrics that would matter to him winning the nomination in the first place though.

ctm   
37 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

Trump will inspire them to vote. It’s Trump and the other guy .. just have to wait to find out who “not Trump” is 

Only 50% of voters under the age of 30 voted in 2016 when Trump was on the ballot. That's significantly less than other age groups.  Lot of room for improvement if the right candidate is on the ballot.

2 hours ago, ctm said:

Only 50% of voters under the age of 30 voted in 2016 when Trump was on the ballot. That's significantly less than other age groups.  Lot of room for improvement if the right candidate is on the ballot.

I don’t think the candidate matters much. No one thought he’s win before. The next election will be all about him

OILERMAN   
6 hours ago, tgo said:

Except when they show Biden losing ground in the primary after a debate, then everyone’s all over it. 

His performance was a bigger issue than the polls 

tgo   
10 hours ago, Titans279 said:

I think looking at one poll to show that Biden is ahead with young voters now is silly. Unless it's been a trend in several polls (has it?) I wouldn't claim he's winning them "now."

I think posting the new polls (multiple) that come out after an event is interesting. A trend starts to emerge.

Generally I like to look as at much of an overview as I can, such as this article.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-2020-polls-front-runner_n_5d2508eee4b07e698c42435a?8af

Even this though, while interesting, is mostly not worth much in the long run! It's so early. A lot can change.

Biden definitely has the best general election numbers right now. His trend seems to be negative in metrics that would matter to him winning the nomination in the first place though.

There were multiple polls early as well that showed him ahead with young voters, although several had Bernie ahead. 

tgo   

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/10/joe-biden-strategy-2020-1404992

Article talks about how Biden supporters and donors want him to take a more aggressive approach and have a better showing at the next debate. 

Also talks some about the Harris feud. 

“Coming out of the debates, something the campaign felt strongly about is, we needed to be assertive on what his record was, both in terms of moving forward but to also demonstrate to the political world at large that we weren’t going to take that sort of thing without a response,” the Biden adviser continued. “We went out and tried to, best we can — especially with a slick and slippery person — try to pin Kamala Harris down on her own record.”

"Harpootlian characterized Harris’ debate assault as below-the-belt given Biden’s past political support for her and Harris’ friendship with Beau Biden.

“It’s not right, it’s distressing. It shows a lack of integrity: win at any cost,” Harpootlian said. “Why is she taking that shot when Joe Biden and his son did everything they could to help her? It was more of a comment about her than it was about Joe Biden.”

"Another Biden surrogate, former Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, expressed a similar sentiment.

“Kamala Harris got a lot of applause when she said Americans didn’t want to see a food fight. Then she took a whole platter of mashed potatoes and gravy and dumped them on the vice president,” Rendell said. He then suggested that other campaigns were combing through Harris’ record as a prosecutor, saying if she made mistakes: “They’re going to find them in her dossier. So be careful what you wish for.”

"Other Biden team members and surrogates have kept up the anti-Harris drumbeat on cable news, social media and on Twitter.

A person close to Harris who declined to be named dismissed the criticism, saying that “trotting out a parade of 70-something white guys to attack a black woman’s integrity may not be the best look.”"

^^^^Maybe so, but there's a lot about her "integrity" that will be open to attack once people outside California learn more about her. 

Edited by tgo

Rolltide   

Beto came to Nashville and absolutely trashed the USA and everything we stand for and our history. He did it in front of immigrants!!! People who chose to come here to make a new life!!!!

Biden is a rival of his for the democrat nomination. So why doesn't Biden trash Beto and what he said? Here is a golden opportunity for Biden to stand up for America and separate himself from the anti American loons. Will he do that? 

Edited by Rolltide

tgo   

I guess he liked Biden's foreign policy speech this afternoon. 

Bush's first UN Ambassador (before fuckface Bolton) and then his Undersecretary of Political Affairs in the State Dept. Lifelong Republican. 

Edited by tgo

tgo   

Wright is a Senior Fellow at the conservative Brookings Institute btw. 

tgo   

Also, Obama's top foreign policy guy Ben Rhodes weighs in. His book is great if anyone hasn't read it. 

The path to Medicare for all starts with a public option. There’s no way around it. Get rid of the law stipulating the government cannot negotiate prices with the pharmaceutical companies. Get rid of these massive tax breaks for huge industry who are not investing in our country. Keep the tax breaks for manufacturing and small businesses. Raise taxes on the top 1% and voila you have a legitimate public option anyone can buy into without removing workers healthcare plans while not going into deficit spending to pay for it. 

If over time the public option becomes streamlined like Medicare then the natural movement will be to Medicare for all. 

tgo   
29 minutes ago, ctm said:

@tgo  I like Joe's healthcare plan announced today.

Yeah, I think it's great, and realistic.