OFFICIAL Biden thread, since it looks like he's getting in

Legaltitan

I like having one global for all the candidates, and then one for certain individuals but y'all feel free to merge if you think we should.

Positives: experienced, knowledgeable, tied to Obama, can talk to the middle class, can trade blows with Trump, seems like a positive guy, passes the "would you want to drink a beer with him" test

Negatives: old (will be 78! at the time of innaguration) experienced, tied to Obama, will trade blows with Trump, a gaffe machine, has seemed inappropriately handsy at times

Thoughts?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You would think he could express all of his shitty thoughts and responses in a more concise manner.

They also didn't have 3.5 years worth of the train wreck known as the Trump presidency staring them in the face in 2016.

Posted Images

I predict he starts strong and then fades as he realizes the energy isn't out there for him and that people are far more in love with the memories and idea of him than him as a candidate. We'll see though, in terms of name recognition he's far an away the strongest. 

30 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

His name recognition is essentially the same as Bernie’s in the polls I’ve seen. 

Bernie has certainly closed the gap with all voters but Biden is still the most well-known among likely democratic voters from what I've seen. The establishment loves them some Biden, I just don't think the grassroots feel the same way.

Unfortunately for him, I think his time passed after 2008. He would be a formidable candidate from a knowledge POV, but I think his age would be used against him hard.

He also has an extensive voting record on things that are unpopular today. Even if he has thanked positions on some things, the voting record still shows that at one point he held different opinions, and, unfortunately, if there is one thing we have learned, politicians are not allowed to evolve and change opinions over time. 

I also think #MeToo would do him in a bit.

Edited by TitansFan777

One thing that irks me about Biden is that he is not a proponent of legalizing marijuana.

Apparently he supports “decriminalizing” it, but had called it a “gateway” drug. I think he’s behind the times on this issue. 

Edited by tgo

10 hours ago, tgo said:

One thing that irks me about Biden is that he is not a proponent of legalizing marijuana.

Apparently he supports “decriminalizing”

it, but had called it a “gateway” drug. I think he’s behind the times on this issue. 

I think as he gets scrutinized, Biden will end up this way on a lot of issues.

It's not really that he is too moderate for the Democratic Party. Marijuana legalization, for example, doesn't break down that way necessarily. Plenty on the right and even far right that support legalization. Biden's problem is more generational than where he falls on the left-right spectrum. And this issue demonstrates it. I bet there are others that do as well. Support for the Iraq war and other military conflicts is another.

That's a liability Trump doesn't have. He's also an old guy, but being in the entertainment and pop culture industry has allowed him to keep his finger on the pulse of generational changes.

1 minute ago, Legaltitan said:

I think as he gets scrutinized, Biden will end up this way on a lot of issues.

It's not really that he is too moderate for the Democratic Party. Marijuana legalization, for example, doesn't break down that way necessarily. Plenty on the right and even far right that support legalization. Biden's problem is more generational than where he falls on the left-right spectrum. And this issue demonstrates it. I bet there are others that do as well. Support for the Iraq war and other military conflicts is another.

That's a liability Trump doesn't have. He's also an old guy, but being in the entertainment and pop culture industry has allowed him to keep his finger on the pulse of generational changes.

To the Iraq War point, he did end up supporting it eventually but voted against it in the Senate initially and spent a lot of time and political capital railing against it and the Bush admin. 

You’re probably right that other issues will pop up that will coincide with this problem (esp if pundits and reporters and leftists keep giving him a really rough time!) 

But even so, I think he’s the right person to right this ship. Restore leadership globally, restore the strength and bureaucracies of our institutions, restore faith in government, restore a level of unity. Even the red hats (Trump populists) won’t be able to totally hate him, even if they disagree with his policies. 

Talk to me about policy in 2024. I want to win back the Senate and the White House, and to restore general facets of government with a long time insider and master of Washington and to wipe away the stink Trump and his cartel. Everything else is secondary in my mind. 

11 hours ago, tgo said:

Apparently he supports “decriminalizing” it, but had called it a “gateway” drug. I think he’s behind the times on this issue. 

How is he behind the times?  It is a gateway to stronger destructive drugs.  

Weed is also addictive, destructive and dangerous - https://www.cnbc.com/id/36465700.

10 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

How is he behind the times?  It is a gateway to stronger destructive drugs.  

Weed is also addictive, destructive and dangerous - https://www.cnbc.com/id/36465700.

I don't do weed or any drugs, don't believe in it, but I philosophically am opposed to "victimless" crimes. 

I think marijuana has some negative effects, but so does alcohol to a lot of people, etc. 

For some people though, I know it does a lot of good. Particularly medical marijuana. 

Legalizing and regulating marijuana would solve portions of the "drug war" and would have the residual affect of making society more equitable for minorities, keeping them out of prison when they shouldn't be in, eliminating portions of the black market, and it would save enormous amounts of money and decrease gang activity and violence to an extent. It would also make it easier to regulate THC levels and make things safer. It would also generate enormous amounts of tax revenue and would have positive affects on the economy by bringing the business out of the darkness of a cash only business. 

It would also allow you to re-direct money from enforcement to education and rehab for those that become addicted to the point of it causing issues in their lives. 

The benefits of legalizing marijuana are too many and too great to even enumerate. 

Any opposition to it at this point is arcane and asinine and is simply an attempt to regulate morality. 

Edited by tgo

Old guy stuff like this won't help either:

The younger generation now tells me how tough things are. Give me a break. No, no, I have no empathy for it. Give me a break. Because here’s the deal guys, we decided we were gonna change the world. And we did. We did. We finished the civil rights movement in the first stage. The women’s movement came to be. So my message is, get involved. There’s no place to hide. You can go and you can make all the money in the world, but you can't build a wall high enough to keep the pollution out. You can't live where—you can't not be diminished when your sister can't marry the man or woman, or the woman she loves. You can't—when you have a good friend being profiled, you can't escape this stuff. And so, there's an old expression my philosophy professor would always use from Plato, 'The penalty people face for not being involved in politics is being governed by people worse than themselves.' It's wide open. Go out and change it."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbpxx8/biden-trashes-millennials-in-his-quest-to-become-even-less-likable