AvgJoe

Ballard and the Colts

abc2330   
5 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Except that even that argument doesn't work because it was still Ballard that identified and drafted these players. You talk about "can't miss" prospects as if that's really a thing. Chance Warmack was universally declared a "can't miss" OG prospect and how did that work out? Again, you're looking for ways to invalidate what the guy has done. Putting pieces the right pieces around your QB and keeping him upright is not as easy as you make it out to be and in fact the overwhelming majority of GM's fail to do so.

Discounting what a GM is able to draft simply because he has good draft picks is also laughable because the majority of even high draft picks fail to live up to expectations. !st round pick or not, you still have to know what you're doing to identify the right player. You talk about Ballard's drafting as if he was just lucky and by virtue of simply having high picks in his pocket that it would automatically result in two all-pros. This is where we end up when we make reductionist arguments. Finally, J-Rob is a really good GM that we all love so why you think it's relevant to bring him up is beyond me.  

I guess my comments originated from people who were clamoring for Ballard  as a GM, and somehow turned into me saying he was bad, which I wasn't .  I'd be happy with either GM.  But I think he has a far easier job than Robinson, and he was unwilling to accept the challenge and go through the process that Robinson did.  So we should be grateful.

Mythos27   
47 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

I guess my comments originated from people who were clamoring for Ballard  as a GM, and somehow turned into me saying he was bad, which I wasn't .  I'd be happy with either GM.  But I think he has a far easier job than Robinson, and he was unwilling to accept the challenge and go through the process that Robinson did.  So we should be grateful.

Ah, I see. I agree 100% with you. I'm perfectly happy with J-Rob as our GM