Titans sign DE Cameron Wake.

heyitsmeallen

15 minutes ago, Number9 said:

That's forward thinking.  The game is changing and special TE's don't ever hit the market.  It not necessarily what the Titans will do, but it's in the realm of possibility.  

Think about the odds of a Kelce or a Gronk or a Kittle or Delanie not being extended or re-signed in their prime.

Some people were shocked when Jimmy Graham was traded after a couple of the 1,000+ yard seasons he had in New Orleans.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, I miss the good ole' days when we carried 60 million + of cap space into the season with a roster riddled with holes. 

Robinson is not in any type of jeopardy. He fixed a franchise that had been a doormat for a decade. And he is not the GM who drafted Mariota. No way should a GM who flipped the culture, added a ton of

Wake is just a one year rental to bridge the gap for the youth to step up. Doesn’t affect the cap long term overall and can play to start the season.    Seems like an ideal signing as spendi

11 hours ago, Soxcat said:

He got hurt.  Your comment is pretty dumb.

Delanie had 74 catches for 800 yards in 2017 and he was a MAJOR loss last year.  The guy is worth every dime we pay him to be a Titan until he retires.  One of the best players in the history of the organization.   

delanie's stats in 2017 were good but many said he looked slower and inconsistent that season. not sure if he dropped more balls or it just seemed like it that year because they were more significant drops

but he DID have his hand/wrist wrapped up pretty heavily almost all 2017 and i saw several plays where he'd be shaking it out in pain after the play was over. 

so a perceived step back in 2017 plus 2 years and a brutal leg injury... yeah.. people are going to doubt his ability to contribute this year. 

that said, i dont see us looking to replace him this season. we've only met with like 1 TE that we know of.  I think, barring a horrendous year, he'll be back for 2020 but most likely gone in 2021. 

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Since we got the front covered, think they might go TE in round 1?

not according to our visits. seems much more likely we go for a deep threat WR with average to good size on him. 

45 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

The right TE (Like Hockenson) could also help the right side of the O-Line.

Recently a pundit described the blocking of a great TE like Gronk as having a 3rd OT, allowing double teams by the guard/center or RG/RT.

So a great blocking TE that's big enough to win against a 280lb DE/OLB becomes even more attractive at 19, and as they get more comfortable with the passing concepts and scheme, steps into a dominant pass-catching role in the mold of a Kelce.

Great thought.  TE has me perplexed. I see and can agree to the two side of the argument.  We're set; other needs, etc...Drafting Hock gives insurance and once in a moon player.  Gotta let JRob and crew earn that money

9 minutes ago, titanruss said:

delanie's stats in 2017 were good but many said he looked slower and inconsistent that season. not sure if he dropped more balls or it just seemed like it that year because they were more significant drops

but he DID have his hand/wrist wrapped up pretty heavily almost all 2017 and i saw several plays where he'd be shaking it out in pain after the play was over. 

so a perceived step back in 2017 plus 2 years and a brutal leg injury... yeah.. people are going to doubt his ability to contribute this year. 

that said, i dont see us looking to replace him this season. we've only met with like 1 TE that we know of.  I think, barring a horrendous year, he'll be back for 2020 but most likely gone in 2021.

I don't think the likelihood is high, but I can't find a downside to taking a TE, especially Hock or maybe the kid from TAMU at 19 after the way FA has played out, and the D-Line/PR depth in this draft.

But Hockenson's blocking is already sound for a kid coming out, so I have to believe he could be a big contributor in both the run and the pass game before his rookie season is over.

Unlike most, I'm not near as big on Fant as I am Hockenson.  Some see them as interchangeable but I don't.  Fant may be the better pass catcher but Hock is better balanced between his blocking and pass catching.

I gotta watch more of that Jace Sternberger kid from TAMU, even though he's not as big as Hock, I hear he blocks well.

13 minutes ago, Titan8425 said:

Great thought.  TE has me perplexed. I see and can agree to the two side of the argument.  We're set; other needs, etc...Drafting Hock gives insurance and once in a moon player.  Gotta let JRob and crew earn that money

I wouldn't say we're set.  We have a number of bodies with potential at the position.  As much as they improved last season none of them approach Delanie.  Pruitt may be the closest in terms of balance, but none of them meet the prototypical size requirements for a dominant TE like a Kelce or Graham or a Gronk.

With Walker and Smith ahead of him at TE and with Davis, Hump and Lewis ahead of him in targets he would at best be fifth in targets his rookie year. I just dont think that's what you want for 19th pick with all that other talent available.

7 minutes ago, Huston said:

With Walker and Smith ahead of him at TE and with Davis, Hump and Lewis ahead of him in targets he would at best be fifth in targets his rookie year. I just dont think that's what you want for 19th pick with all that other talent available.

But he brings blocking to the table that only Delanie, of all those players you mention, does.

If you can consider an IOL at 19, you can certainly consider Hockenson.

And with Derrick Henry being the bell cow RB, Lewis becomes primarily a 3rd down, passing situation guy.

For the most part, Smith doesn't impress.  He's years away from being the Delanie clone he was billed as coming out.

Even then, out of a 12 personnel set you have the possibility of Delanie, Hock, Lewis, Davis wide, and Hump from the slot, as targets for Marcus.

That would be tough to defend either balanced or unbalanced.

8 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I don't think the likelihood is high, but I can't find a downside to taking a TE, especially Hock or maybe the kid from TAMU at 19 after the way FA has played out, and the D-Line/PR depth in this draft.

But Hockenson's blocking is already sound for a kid coming out, so I have to believe he could be a big contributor in both the run and the pass game before his rookie season is over.

Unlike most, I'm not near as big on Fant as I am Hockenson.  Some see them as interchangeable but I don't.  Fant may be the better pass catcher but Hock is better balanced between his blocking and pass catching.

I gotta watch more of that Jace Sternberger kid from TAMU, even though he's not as big as Hock, I hear he blocks well.

yeah i'm not against it either (getting a TE) . i just dont see us doing the research on TEs like we are at WR... other than the Sternberger kid that we met with at the shrine game. i havent seem much tape on him either. just that he had basically 1 year of production because of transferring but it was a monster year. that site seems to indicate he puts great effort into blocking and is OK at it but not great. good at contested catches.. good hands.. decent speed. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jace-sternberger 

Fant seems to just be Jonnu but from a bigger school. 

2 minutes ago, Huston said:

I think Smith has more value then people are giving him credit for, he was directly responsible for a few of Henry big runs and the 99 yarder.

i thought that we had like 3 TE in on that play and they all were directly responsible. 

Just now, titanruss said:

i thought that we had like 3 TE in on that play and they all were directly responsible. 

He ran through Smith's hole, it was the one he got hurt on.

10 minutes ago, titanruss said:

^This

All 3 were there, Pruitt blocked his guy 20 yards down the field, Smith took on 2, his own and one that was missed by someone else, and took his knee out in the process.

Pruitt actually comes closer to a Delanie clone than Jonnu, but none of them have the extreme size that the dominant ones have.