Titans sign DE Cameron Wake.

heyitsmeallen

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, I miss the good ole' days when we carried 60 million + of cap space into the season with a roster riddled with holes. 

Robinson is not in any type of jeopardy. He fixed a franchise that had been a doormat for a decade. And he is not the GM who drafted Mariota. No way should a GM who flipped the culture, added a ton of

Wake is just a one year rental to bridge the gap for the youth to step up. Doesn’t affect the cap long term overall and can play to start the season.    Seems like an ideal signing as spendi

12 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I posted earlier that Robinson was facing pressure this season, a losing season and/or Mariota flaming out and he's not looking too good. 

This off season so far looks like a bit of a panic to me. 

That's ridiculous.  The first two signings were signings at positions of need who will immediately help this football team.  I understand people being skeptical about the Wake signing but it's clear that he was brought in for a purpose.  To mentor the young pass rushers (Landry, Finch, rookie(s)).

He's also done a good job keeping his own people to help the depth.  Right now they have one real glaring hole and I would expect that'll be filled in the draft.

But these moves have been smart and strategic.  I don't see a hint of desperation in any of these moves.

2 hours ago, Justafan said:

You have been clamoring for some of these quality older free agent bargains.  

Well I've always felt that older vets have a huge upside for a year or two. I think age is overrated. Don't get me wrong, Id obviously prefer 27 to 37, but IMO you look to the draft more for your long term investments & FA to plug holes or a big ROI for a year or two.

In this case though I don't think some here realize just how great of a player Wake is. He is absolutely dominant when healthy & finished last season unblockable. And has been for a decade. He's also a pro's pro. He takes his trade seriously, he's in great shape, studies film, eats well.  I admit 37 is awfully old but even if we get just 1 more prime Wake year it's worth it.

Did you see the deals the Smith's got? They're not even in Wake's stratosphere.

This also allows the team another year or two to see what they have in Finch and/or take advantage of an incredible edge class. The Packers are obviously out of drafting an edge & they looked like a no doubter for one in the 1st. If a stud drops to 19 we can still go that route now.

The more I think about it, the more obvious it is that the 3 year contract was only executed with the function of spreading the dead money over a 3 year term. 

I don't think we're done yet either. Keep an eye on the lower tier guards, DL, LBs, and WRs over the next several days. 

There are guys like Albert McClellan and Brian Peters with ties to the staff who are great ST LBers and team leaders. 

4 minutes ago, Face said:

Well I've always felt that older vets have a huge upside for a year or two. I think age is overrated. Don't get me wrong, Id obviously prefer 27 to 37, but IMO you look to the draft more for your long term investments & FA to plug holes or a big ROI for a year or two.

In this case though I don't think some here realize just how great of a player Wake is. He is absolutely dominant when healthy & finished last season unblockable. And has been for a decade. He's also a pro's pro. He takes his trade seriously, he's in great shape, studies film, eats well.  I admit 37 is awfully old but even if we get just 1 more prime Wake year it's worth it.

Did you see the deals the Smith's got? They're not even in Wake's stratosphere.

This also allows the team another year or two to see what they have in Finch and/or take advantage of an incredible edge class. The Packers are obviously out of drafting an edge & they looked like a no doubter for one in the 1st. If a stud drops to 19 we can still go that route now.

I'm up and down on Wake.  I think he's a better OLB than he was a DE (Which is a big statement!) and so it's definitely a bargain considering the other players available.  Having said that, he was slower than usual last year and it did show.  He had a drop in sacks as a result.  There's significant risk that he won't be a significant player and he's on a pretty good size contract. 

There's a lot to like though.  He could be a really good situational type guy and is good insurance.  I imagine they will for sure bring in a couple of rookie DL/OLB and Wake's presence is a huge plus.  I just hope he stays healthy and has another productive season (or two!)

6 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

There are plenty of posts noting his age. He was still very productive last year against the pass and run and hopefully can continue to do so for at least a year. It’s basically going to be a one year deal with team options after that. 

Edge rushers for some reason are able to maintain close to their level of play well into their 30's. Look at Julius Peppers, dude retired at 39 & was still a very good player. Granted he's a freak of nature but look at Dwight Freeney & James Harrison, they were still very productive rushing the QB in their late 30's. 

I still wouldve preferred Justin Houston because of the 7 year age difference but maybe he priced himself out. 

BtW Wake is also a great run player. 

Trust me, the fans are going to see how great this guy is. 

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

The more I think about it, the more obvious it is that the 3 year contract was only executed with the function of spreading the dead money over a 3 year term. 

I don't think we're done yet either. Keep an eye on the lower tier guards, DL, LBs, and WRs over the next several days. 

There are guys like Albert McClellan and Brian Peters with ties to the staff who are great ST LBers and team leaders. 

I don't think we'll see any more big name signings and I think they stay pat with Gabbert as backup QB.  Right now they are somewhere in the 25million (being a little generous) cap space remaining range and they would most likely still like to extend Byard.  

I can definitely see them bringing in some depth/bargain guys/ST players though and would be a little disappointed if they don't actually. 

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

I don't think we'll see any more big name signings and I think they stay pat with Gabbert as backup QB.  Right now they are somewhere in the 25million (being a little generous) cap space remaining range and they would most likely still like to extend Byard.  

I can definitely see them bringing in some depth/bargain guys/ST players though and would be a little disappointed if they don't actually. 

Yeah, any remaining signings would be rotational or reserve players I would think, or competition for Kline at guard. 

There's an outside chance they could sign a veteran outside receiver for cheap, but I doubt it. 

I do think they'll be looking for a run down nose guard. 

4 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I'm up and down on Wake.  I think he's a better OLB than he was a DE (Which is a big statement!) and so it's definitely a bargain considering the other players available.  Having said that, he was slower than usual last year and it did show.  He had a drop in sacks as a result.  There's significant risk that he won't be a significant player and he's on a pretty good size contract. 

There's a lot to like though.  He could be a really good situational type guy and is good insurance.  I imagine they will for sure bring in a couple of rookie DL/OLB and Wake's presence is a huge plus.  I just hope he stays healthy and has another productive season (or two!)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-age-not-an-issue-for-cameron-wake-as-he-enters-free-agency

This is a great write up on him. PFF isn't the end all be all but they do a good job evaluating the front 7. 54 pressures in 284 rushes is just insane.

I do think they should watch his snaps though, whether that's Finch getting snaps  or maybe finding a big edge in the draft that can kick inside on 3rd down, like the Allen kid from BC.