Titans sign DE Cameron Wake.

heyitsmeallen

4 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Anyone think a 10 mil guy is anything like a 15-16-17 mil guy? We simply don’t sign those people. Argue semantics. Bouye was the top tier guy, not Ryan. Robinson doesn’t operate like that. 

Robinson tried to sign Bouye, Butler got 5 years 61 mill, 30 guaranteed, around the same amount, same signing bonus and 4 mill more guaranteed. 

We simply do sign those people

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, I miss the good ole' days when we carried 60 million + of cap space into the season with a roster riddled with holes. 

Robinson is not in any type of jeopardy. He fixed a franchise that had been a doormat for a decade. And he is not the GM who drafted Mariota. No way should a GM who flipped the culture, added a ton of

Wake is just a one year rental to bridge the gap for the youth to step up. Doesn’t affect the cap long term overall and can play to start the season.    Seems like an ideal signing as spendi

38 minutes ago, notsolegato said:

It's already been leaked that Humphries' deal is essentially a 1 yr, 12 million dollar year with team options at ~7/yr moving forward. Wake is almost certainly a 1 yr contract in reality, and it's highly likely Staffold is on the same type of deal

Oh you mean like all NFL contracts

31 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Didn't he sign Butler right out of the gate last year and Logan Ryan the year before?  Not trying to be contrarian but those were pretty big signings.  Demarco Murray wasn't a huge out of the gate signing but it was a big trade that made a splash.  

Yes, it's pretty much the same as this year

4 hours ago, Number9 said:

True, but that wasn't the reasoning totally.  It's been his age.  People say that all the time about football players when they reach a certain age.  Tom Brady is an example, people have been saying that about him.  But if the Titans signed him...

Wake has to beat 300 lb+ guys over short distances, Delanie has to beat guys who are younger and fast over up to 40 yard distances; of course age is going to be more of a concern at his position.

7 minutes ago, notsolegato said:

Nice job explaining how it's a panic move ?

They aren't panic moves, panic was a bad choice of wording if that's what I said. They might even work out. My point was these moves are not going to shoot the Titans up the standings. Matthews, Jones and Kline were similar signings and none of them worked out well, at least not long term or big. 

A few years ago the Titans wanted Brandon Williams, missed and got Sly Williams, busto. 

My two points were these FA signings, all of them for all teams are vastly overrated by fans and as for Robinson..... If the Titans take a step back(tough schedule) and Mariota is unresolved after this season he'll be under pressure in 2020

9 minutes ago, code said:

FWIW, both Saffold and Humphries signings are fundamentally 2-year deals with low dead money buyouts at the end of the first two years.

IMHO, Robinson hasn't been particularly good, but he is aggressive, and he is quick to correct his mistakes. That's something.

Titans have a lot to like on the defensive side of the ball.  Nice blend of young talent and veterans. I may overvalue Landry, Brown, Evans and Finch,

but I like their potential anchored by Woodyard.

If Conklin bounces back this season, the offensive line should be very good. I want the skill position players (all of em including the one that can't be mentioned in every thread) to be as good as hoped. 

Unpopular as it may be, I tend to agree with Oman on the Robinson warming seat. I think Amy Adams is wholly committed to him. That said, his drafts and his free agent decisions have been wildly inconsistent. 

Time defines.

He's had a lot of misses but he's had a lot of hits as well.  This is a 9-7 team with a chance to take a step forward.  Three short seasons ago this team was the laughing stock of the NFL with Kendall Wright and Justin Hunter your starting WRs.  You had Lewan, Levitre, Schwenke, Warmack Poutasi in front of a rookie Mariota and don't forget about Bishop Sankey.

The defense was better but still had some guys like Parrish Cox starting that just make you scratch your head.

Jrob hasn't been the best GM in the league but he's been pretty damn good.  If his seat gets warm, I think it's because fans have unrealistic expectations and not because he's done a poor job.  

Wake is a solid signing, IMO.     He obviously isn't a long-term solution, but this should give the team a productive rotational player for 1-2 years;  if he disappoints, they can easily walk away after a year.

It's also worth noting that the Wake signing doesn't necessarily preclude them from pursuing a big fish like Houston or Suh .  I wouldn't be surprised if JRob is still very much involved in those conversations.

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

They aren't panic moves, panic was a bad choice of wording if that's what I said. They might even work out. My point was these moves are not going to shoot the Titans up the standings. Matthews, Jones and Kline were similar signings and none of them worked out well, at least not long term or big. 

A few years ago the Titans wanted Brandon Williams, missed and got Sly Williams, busto. 

My two points were these FA signings, all of them for all teams are vastly overrated by fans and as for Robinson..... If the Titans take a step back(tough schedule) and Mariota is unresolved after this season he'll be under pressure in 2020

Saffold is the signing where I think you could be wrong here.  Potentially, he could be a Kevin Mawai type signing where he really bolsters the interior O-line for several years.  They were in a tough spot last year as Spain, Jones, and Kline were all just average athleticism.  Saffold has been really good the last two years and is very athletic.  He could have a very positive impact.

Wake is situational.  He'll have an impact but it will be limited.  If they want to elevate pass rushing they will have to hit in the draft.  Humphries will make them more versatile but it comes down to what Mariota does.  So I agree but I think Saffold has the potential to make a big time difference.  Also, it addresses some pretty obvious holes they had last year in what we thought was a very solid roster. 

3 minutes ago, nine said:

Solid signing, IMO.     Wake obviously isn't a long-term solution, but gives them a productive rotational player for 1-2 years;  if he disappoints, the team can easily walk away after a year.

It's also worth noting that the Wake signing doesn't necessarily preclude them from pursuing a big fish like Houston or Suh .  I wouldn't be surprised if JRob is still very much involved in those conversations.

I'm betting it's more of an insurance signing for a drafted player.  My bet is they are looking real hard at Sweat.  

Good news is, everyone had Green Bay drafting an edge player but they probably won't after signing two big-time free agents.  One more guy to fall down the board. 

JRob has had his share of hits and misses in free agency, just like any other GM.   Nobody bats 1.000.

But he's shown the ability to quickly recognize and address his mistakes, and he hasn't hamstrung the team by throwing huge money at average talent.

We can nitpick individual moves and micro-analyze all we want....but the fact is, JRob has done an excellent job of adding talent and improving the roster year over year.   The team is in a far better position now than they were when he was hired....which is really all you can ask from a GM.

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

It's odd that a lot of people have expressed concern that Delaine might slow down at age 34, then have zero concern about Cameron Wake at age 37.  When we sign a player, he's the greatest.  If we miss signing a player we have been raving about, aw he isn't that good and got too much money.  It's not even logical that could repeatedly be right.  Like LeFleur, he wasn't that good, made a lot of mistakes.  But somehow, he gets a premiere HC gig.  

Same thing with posts.  You say what the people I suck up to say, you are a genius.  You say something different, you are stupid.  Juvenile.  

What are you talking about?  A lot of people, including me said Walker looked old and done in 2017.  We were talking about replacing him in that last draft.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I don't think the Wake contract was "huge" but Staffold and Humphries absolutely were. Salary cap doesn't matter anyway. 

Humphries for example is a WR who was the 3rd or 4th option on a high volume passing team getting signed to be a starter and paid big money. I have no idea how he'll turn out but this is the formula in free agency that causes poor ROI

I mean, its the same situation that JRob used when he signed Matthews off the Dolphins.  He was the 3rd WR and he panned out until he became a head-case.

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Anyone think a 10 mil guy is anything like a 15-16-17 mil guy? We simply don’t sign those people. Argue semantics. Bouye was the top tier guy, not Ryan. Robinson doesn’t operate like that. Butler was like Ryan, the second tier. Saffold isn’t. He’s the top tier. 

He was prepared to sign Suh to a large deal last offseason.