TheBukafax

Why Kline over Spain?

Mythos27   
3 minutes ago, TeamRamrod27 said:

Because JRob paid the wrong guy

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c882f5f2f7a764163

Agreed but I think it's become pretty clear that J-Rob disagrees. He's treated Spain the way we'd expect him to treat a guy that plays like Kline. 

3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Agreed but I think it's become pretty clear that J-Rob disagrees. He's treated Spain the way we'd expect him to treat a guy that plays like Kline. 

100%. There was probably something else going on besides on-field performance. 

Neither are good, and neither should get paid, so JRob owns the Kline contract.

But even though Spain doesn't let his man past as often as Kline, Spain gives a lot of ground in pass pro and the run game, and often ends up backing into in the QB's lap or cutting off the RB before he can pick his path.  In pass pro it may look better because the rusher isn't free to get to the QB, but the QB still ends up pushed off his spot when Spain backs over him.

When a rusher gets past a lineman he can still be picked up by the RB, or on a run play, avoided altogether.  But when an O-Lineman is giving too much ground the pocket gets collapsed in a way that makes it cluttered and prevents escape, and keeps the QB from stepping up in the pocket.

In addition it takes up space that other O-Linemen may need to maneuver.

Against the Colts in '17 there were a number of highlights that showed Spain obviously getting pushed around and creating this scenario.

tgo   
4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Right but I'm not sure Kline gets paid if the FO thought Spain was better. Maybe I missed something in how that all went down. I think @tgo prefers Kline to Spain as well though I'm not positive about that.

I think Spain is better but they obviously prefer Kline so I’ll defer to their judgement. He must miss assignments a lot or something. 

1 hour ago, japan said:

Right.  Kline is the better blocker in open space.  Plus, I think a lot of Spain's issues were mental.

LOL!  Of course you did.

Nash   

I’m hoping Aaron Stinnie , a UDFA , a former left tackle learning the guard spot, is going to claim the spot and Kline becomes the swing guard for this season

Edited by Nash

OILERMAN   

Lewan had a bit of a down year be elite LT standards, Kline was terrible at times and Conklin was even worse. Those 3 guys have all got to bounce back and play much better this season regardless

japan   
1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Its the contract plain and simple. Only @japan believes Kline is better than Spain. 

They didn’t pull Kline from a game because he had no idea what he was doing. 

japan   
25 minutes ago, Righteous said:

LOL!  Of course you did.

You do know that Spain was pulled from a game because he didn’t know his assignments, right?

i understand that you are angling for a racial component to this but the facts are  the facts. 

Edited by japan

12 minutes ago, japan said:

You do know that Spain was pulled from a game because he didn’t know his assignments, right?

i understand that you are angling for a racial component to this but the facts are  the facts. 

Which game was that?  Link the article.  

Mythos27   
10 minutes ago, japan said:

They didn’t pull Kline from a game because he had no idea what he was doing. 

It was the first year in a brand new blocking scheme.Whatever it was, it was sorted out since he started every game after that. Kline apparently knew exactly what he was doing and was still hot garbage.

1 minute ago, Nash said:

Actually Jones played left guard pretty well and Levin played center pretty well that day

I was wondering if Levin might be our C this year and Jones sliding over to RG? That would push Kline to a backup role.

Mythos27   
3 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Which game was that?  Link the article.  

It definitely happened. I just don't remember anyone saying/confirming that it was because he didn't know what he was doing.