Why Kline over Spain?

TheBukafax

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Spain is way better than the turn-stile that is Kline. What I think is irrelevant though. The FO clearly doesn't think that and I trust them enough to take their analysis at face value. It suc

I dont think Kline spot is as safe as we think with Pamp resigning.

The first 12 seconds of this clip by Baldy is why Spain was the first to go. I don't know what PFF's criteria is, or what people here were looking at all season, but this happened too often, and

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Kline's contract does not assure him a roster spot and since we were looking at competition at two OGs spots last year and now only one Kline could lose his starting spot in camp if he doesn't play well.  Apparently they don't like Spain's fit in the system or they could bring him in to compete.  Either way Kline needs to start out strong or he could be watching a rookie, Pamphile, Stinnie or Marz starting ahead of him and lets face it.  The bar is not that high.  Also we could draft a rookie C who would play there for a year (or Jones moves to OG).  I'm not sure if Conklin is doing well they wouldn't consider Kelly at RG as well. 

More than that. You could also see Levin and Kelly potentially in there as well.

15 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

From what I saw of Levin at OG I'm not optimistic.  Seemed much better at C for some reason.  If Levin was the C Jones is an option at OG as well.

I mentioned Kelly.

Oh absolutely. I should have clarified. If Kline struggles they could inset Levin at C and move Jones to RG as you mentioned.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know enough about OL play or technique to even offer an informed opinion....but I spent a fair amount of time last year re-watching games and paying extra attention to the O-line.    Based on what I saw, Spain's performance seemed about average, whereas Kline was just downright terrible....a far bigger liability than Spain.   But for whatever reason, it was Spain who was benched during the Jets game and  has now been replaced outright.

Spain didn't get pushed backward and ragdolled on a regular basis like Kline did....so I can only assume Spain's issues were more about mistakes and missed assignments.  Maybe he consistently struggled to recognize and pick up stunts...or maybe he was slow to pass off and/or pick up defenders in pass protection.

I have no doubt that Saffold will be a dramatic upgrade over Spain...and I feel confident that Conklin will bounce back after spending this offseason internalizing the offense rather than rehabbing a knee injury.

I'm less confident about Kline's ability...but he did play far better over the final four weeks than he did in the first twelve games;   hopefully it was just a matter of absorbing the system and he'll be able to carry it over to this year.

An O-line is only as good as its weakest link;   Saffold is a huge upgrade...but there's only so much he and Lewan can do if Kline or Conk keep getting their asses kicked like last year.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:35 PM, ChemEngr79 said:

I was wondering if Levin might be our C this year and Jones sliding over to RG? That would push Kline to a backup role.

If that was the plan, they would've cut Kline by now imo.  

Spain was probably a little bit better than Kline but the difference isn't that big.  The truth is, the right tackle was hurt and the TE and the backup TE struggled early to block.  That means Kline got lined up without help quite often and as a result got beat quite often.  So did Spain by the way.

It's a zone blocking scheme and all three of the interior linemen were plodders with below average feet and quickness and your starting RT and TE were out all year.  

You can get away with one below average guy on the line but if all three of your interior guys are below average and your RT is out, it's going to be tough.

Saffold coming in and Conklin being back will be huge.  Kline is below average but he'll have competition.  Pamphile and a rookie will both be hungry for his spot so he'll play better or get released.  You can't have a starter who gives up 38 pressures and has the contract Kline has.  That doesn't work.  

I think a second year in the system for both the line and Mariota along with a, hopefully, much-improved run game should help things dramatically as well.  hell, just adding a slot WR who can bail you out will likely help quite a bit too.  I like the moves they've made so far.  I just hope they nail a later round OL pick this year and really solidify that line going forward.  

40 minutes ago, nine said:

I'll be the first to admit I don't know enough about OL play or technique to even offer an informed opinion....but I spent a fair amount of time last year re-watching games and paying extra attention to the O-line.    Based on what I saw, Spain's performance seemed about average, whereas Kline was just downright terrible....a far bigger liability than Spain.   But for whatever reason, it was Spain who was benched during the Jets game and  has now been replaced outright.

Spain didn't get pushed backward and ragdolled on a regular basis like Kline did....so I can only assume Spain's issues were more about mistakes and missed assignments.  Maybe he consistently struggled to recognize and pick up stunts...or maybe he was slow to pass off and/or pick up defenders in pass protection.

I have no doubt that Saffold will be a dramatic upgrade over Spain...and I feel confident that Conklin will bounce back after spending this offseason internalizing the offense rather than rehabbing a knee injury.

I'm less confident about Kline's ability...but he did play far better over the final four weeks than he did in the first twelve games;   hopefully it was just a matter of absorbing the system and he'll be able to carry it over to this year.

An O-line is only as good as its weakest link;   Saffold is a huge upgrade...but there's only so much he and Lewan can do if Kline or Conk keep getting their asses kicked like last year.

I think a lot of people look at a guy like Kline and just imagine he would be a good fit in a zone system. He was always a power guy with good feet on pulls before last year. As you noted he was better down the stretch. 

17 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Spain was probably a little bit better than Kline but the difference isn't that big.  The truth is, the right tackle was hurt and the TE and the backup TE struggled early to block.  That means Kline got lined up without help quite often and as a result got beat quite often.  So did Spain by the way.

It's a zone blocking scheme and all three of the interior linemen were plodders with below average feet and quickness and your starting RT and TE were out all year.  

You can get away with one below average guy on the line but if all three of your interior guys are below average and your RT is out, it's going to be tough.

Saffold coming in and Conklin being back will be huge.  Kline is below average but he'll have competition.  Pamphile and a rookie will both be hungry for his spot so he'll play better or get released.  You can't have a starter who gives up 38 pressures and has the contract Kline has.  That doesn't work.  

I think a second year in the system for both the line and Mariota along with a, hopefully, much-improved run game should help things dramatically as well.  hell, just adding a slot WR who can bail you out will likely help quite a bit too.  I like the moves they've made so far.  I just hope they nail a later round OL pick this year and really solidify that line going forward.  

As CTM noted, Kline’s contract becomes guaranteed in a few days. He’ll be on the roster even if he loses his spot.