Let's talk Pete Buttigieg - After that CNN town hall, dude deserves his own thread

Legaltitan

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” — George Orwell 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Herman Caine is at least 50 IQ points above you.

If Herman Caine is stupid why did Pillsbury hire him to run 400 of their Burger King restaurants in 1980 and why did they later put him in charge of the entire godfather's pizza chain?

You guys hate Herman Caine because he is a black man who doesn't need your fucking reparations.  

https://youtu.be/1BNgRpRuWGs?t=41

This is the ideal black man to the libtards. Not somebody like Herman Caine.

Who is Herman Caine???

Mayor Pete has work to do in the black community but he knows this and is doing it. But he's doing it the right way, and no falling over himself to pander. This is his biggest hurdle to winning the nomination and inspiring the base, but I think he is up to the challenge. I think the guy can talk to anyone, and being in the military and doing outreach in the black community in South Bend should serve him well.

Will be very very interested, as we start getting into the real primary season, how he registers among black voters.

16 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Mayor Pete has work to do in the black community but he knows this and is doing it. But he's doing it the right way, and no falling over himself to pander. This is his biggest hurdle to winning the nomination and inspiring the base, but I think he is up to the challenge. I think the guy can talk to anyone, and being in the military and doing outreach in the black community in South Bend should serve him well.

Will be very very interested, as we start getting into the real primary season, how he registers among black voters.

It's interesting. I am reading a lot of Bernie supporters moving to Pete - yet their style and policies are quite different. Elections are all about building and holding coalitions of voters.   Does him being openly gay- allow him freedom to talk like a moderate more than say Biden?   If so, can he hold those together and be successful?   Its all very interesting.  

I am really interested in how he could do as an openly gay candidate who is already married.   I've already heard several times how that is a deal killer because people believe it will make him unelectable in the general election.   Could be true.   Like racism -  most people don't talk about those types of reservations but they come out in who and how they support a candidate.   In theory and via polls, people just don't care much anymore.  And Pete (which is easier to spell) is walking a line right now between not hiding from it being a part of who he is without making it a central campaign piece.     

All in all- that seems a bigger key part of what will either make or break him than his age.  His age is hardly a talking point at all.  

If he can be inoculated from the left attacks in anyway so that he doesn't have to push hard to the left and pivot to the general- I think it could really help him be a very strong candidate against Trump. 

In general it all comes down to his communication skills. He's getting his time.  The attacks will come and it will be all about how he handles them. Right now it feels like Obama and to a degree Trump.  He seems to be drawing a lot of early attention. 

21 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

If he can be inoculated from the left attacks in anyway so that he doesn't have to push hard to the left and pivot to the general- I think it could really help him be a very strong candidate against Trump. 

This is something I have been thinking about lately, too. Another comparison to Obama, who also had the ability to avoid too much flak from the left in the primaries because of his history as a community organizer and historical significance.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/10/pete-buttigieg-conservative-praise-1264075

He’s called the Green New Deal a “sound framework” for confronting climate change. He’s called for abolishing the Electoral College and has endorsed the idea of single-payer healthcare. And he’s openly gay.

But Pete Buttigieg is getting rare praise from some unlikely voices — conservatives.

Right-leaning pundits and politicians have taken notice of Buttigieg’s rising popularity, an ascent that began in early March after the South Bend mayor’s widely heralded CNN town hall performance, which garnered a sprinkling of compliments from Republicans. In the time since, a number of conservatives have shown a growing interest in Buttigieg and at times offered positive remarks about the Democratic candidate, a treatment quite the opposite of what most of the mayor’s primary challengers are receiving from the GOP.

It’s unclear if Republicans’ salutes to Buttigieg are earnest or attempts to siphon support from Democratic front-runners — probably a little bit of both, Washington Examiner Executive Editor Seth Mandel said.

4 hours ago, Pragidealist said:

I saw a YT clip from the Young Turks where they already seem to be challenging Mayor Pete's policies as not being progressive enough.  Not trying to parrot here, but Buttigieg has artfully positioned his argument that he wants to talk values first, then policy AND ensuring that as the policies emerge there is a practical way to implement.  Considerably less revolutionary than many want in their next Dem leader.  At the same time, I like the practicality expressed, knowing that if indeed America wants to go more progressive it certainly can with the advantage of the experience gained along the way.  Problem is if we end up in an situation where interim policy becomes an inefficient status quo.