Let's talk Pete Buttigieg - After that CNN town hall, dude deserves his own thread

Legaltitan

I watched 3 separate hour long vids on Mayor Pete today. While some stuff was repetitive, he really dialed in his messages for the venue and spoke substantively on issues. His intellect carries him through in a pragmatic, thoughtful way. He doesn’t attempt to ‘Trump it up’ with anti-repub rhetoric and instead speaks of reconciling the antigovernment sentiment. He seems as authentic as any politician I’ve ever heard and is very inspiring (the audience reactions are notable). He’s a great candidate who will absolutely influence the 2020 Dem message.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” — George Orwell 

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Justafan said:

0% chance of winning the nomination. 

I believe he has a greater than zero chance, but even if not, one can be a serious candidate without having a legit shot to win. He will have a significant affect on the dialog and issues, IMO.

And if the guy finishes in the top three or better in Iowa, watch out. 

I've listened to lots of Mayor Pete as well. I don't like all his answers, but he's not playing politics. It doesn't feel like he's pandering.

The fact that he's a church going gay man is going to piss off a lot of the conservatives if he made it to the general. They would use it as a rally point. To keep this "abomination" out of the White House. They would see it as a mission from God.

19 minutes ago, NFLStudent said:

I've listened to lots of Mayor Pete as well. I don't like all his answers, but he's not playing politics. It doesn't feel like he's pandering.

The fact that he's a church going gay man is going to piss off a lot of the conservatives if he made it to the general. They would use it as a rally point. To keep this "abomination" out of the White House. They would see it as a mission from God.

They already vote dutifully as an energized block since practically any Dem at this point is considered an abomination.  Trump is a savior and a prodigal son who has delivered on the federal / SC courts as promised.

17 minutes ago, begooode said:

They already vote dutifully as an energized block since practically any Dem at this point is considered an abomination.  Trump is a savior and a prodigal son who has delivered on the federal / SC courts as promised.

Yeah exactly. 

And while being gay could hurt with moderates and some dems, the churchgoing thing will help there imo

If nothing else I hope some conservatives will learn that plenty of LGBTQ people are people of faith. in my experience they are barely less likely to attend church than the average Democrat, depending on locale of course. Almost all the gays I know in Macon go to church regularly. 

BTW the really interesting thing from that Emerson poll is:

(1) in the same poll just a couple of months ago, Pete was at 0%. That's a big rise in name recognition.

(2) Pete is polling at 22% among 18-29 year olds. That's Bernie's base. Bernie still leading with this group with 44%, but it makes sense Pete would appeal to that demographic. If this trend continues, that puts Bernie in some peril.

Freedom

Democracy

Security

That's Mayor Pete's slogan and it will be interesting to see if these elements as outlined by him and his team make it to the final Dem messaging campaign.

btw - one of his talking points I think he's absolutely on target with is the need to depoliticize the Supreme Court nomination process.  As we have seen, our judicial branch is far too important to allow blatant politics to drive it.

Edited by begooode

17 minutes ago, begooode said:

Freedom

Democracy

Security

That's Mayor Pete's slogan and it will be interesting to see if these elements as outlined by him and his team make it to the final Dem messaging campaign.

btw - one of his talking points I think he's absolutely on target with is the need to depoliticize the Supreme Court nomination process.  As we have seen, our judicial branch is far too important to allow blatant politics to drive it.

Yep, and right after freedom democracy and security, his next most frequent talking point is that the Republican party does not have a monopoly on faith, and that Democrats should no longer just cede this to Republicans. Sure there are plenty of Atheists in the Democratic party, but there are also Baptists, Presbyterians, Methodist, Evangelicals, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, and Muslims. He is a guy who can talk about faith in a real way, but while also maintaining the "big tent" of the Democratic Party.