Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tgo

TGO's Potential Titans Free Agents Targets

Recommended Posts

tgo   

Here's some mix of what I think will happen and what I want to see happen based on fit and connections: 

 

(My mini offseason plan)

 

Release: 

Jonathan Cyprien

Blaine Gabbert

 

Re-sign:

Kenny Vaccaro - 3.5M/year over 2 or 3 years. 

Luke Stocker - 1M/year over 1 or 2 years. 

Tye Smith - (RFA Tender - 2M)

David Fluellen (ERFA Tender - .6M)

 

Sign: 

OLB Za'Darius Smith - 11-12M per year. (Alternative: Justin Houston at a similar price)

WR Randall Cobb - 6-7M per year. (Alternative: John Brown at a similar price)

NT Danny Shelton - 3M per year. (Alternative: Malcolm Brown at a similar price)

G Jamon Brown 2M per year. (Alternative: Zane Beadles at a similar price)

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3M per year. (Alternative: Mike Glennon at a similar price)

 

Draft: 

1. Jeffery Simmons

2. iOL

3. WR

4. OLB

5. Trevon Wesco

7. S

 

Let me explain some reasoning here: 

 

I won't even bother with Za'Darius Smith, the fit is so obvious. I've read that Randall Cobb could be in play with the Patriots, so if that's the case we probably couldn't compete. I think receivers like Tate, Humphries, Beasley, Crowder and of course Williams will go to higher powered offenses that would benefit more from these players and teams that would pay more. I think it's unlikely that we'll pay for more than one high dollar free agent. I think the Titans would benefit from Randall Cobb being able to play Y and Z both, and being a true leader in that room. His production would be marginal, which would coincide with his price tag. Being from Tennessee and spending time there in the offseason could be a pull for him vs other teams if the money is similar. 

 

Don't get me wrong - I'd much prefer guys like Tate/Humphries/Beasley/Crowder, but I just don't know how realistic that is if we sign a top flight OLB. 

 

You could structure those contracts in such a way that allows for more cap space overall in 2019, which is what Robinson typically does in back loading contracts. For instance, a contract for Smith could have a large signing bonus and a lot of guaranteed money, but only count 8M or so on the cap year one, similar to how Butler's contract only counted 6M last year. 

 

Edited by tgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
6 minutes ago, tgo said:

Here's some mix of what I think will happen and what I want to see happen based on fit and connections: 

 

(My mini offseason plan)

 

Release: 

Jonathan Cyprien

Blaine Gabbert

 

Re-sign:

Kenny Vaccaro - 3.5M/year over 2 or 3 years. 

Luke Stocker - 1M/year over 1 or 2 years. 

Tye Smith - (RFA Tender - 2M)

David Fluellen (ERFA Tender - .6M)

 

Sign: 

OLB Za'Darius Smith - 11-12M per year. (Alternative: Justin Houston at a similar price)

WR Randall Cobb - 6-7M per year. (Alternative: John Brown at a similar price)

NT Danny Shelton - 3M per year. (Alternative: Malcolm Brown at a similar price)

G Jamon Brown 2M per year. (Alternative: Zane Beadles at a similar price)

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3.5M per year. (Alternative: Mike Glennon at a similar price)

 

Draft: 

1. Jeffery Simmons

2. iOL

3. WR

4. OLB

5. Trevon Wesco

7. S

 

Let me explain some reasoning here: 

 

I won't even bother with Za'Darius Smith, the fit is so obvious. I've read that Randall Cobb could be in play with the Patriots, so if that's the case we probably couldn't compete. I think receivers like Tate, Humphries, Beasley, and of course Williams will go to higher powered offenses that would benefit more from these players and teams that would pay more. I think it's unlikely that we'll pay for more than one high dollar free agentI think the Titans would benefit from Randall Cobb being able to play Y and Z both, and being a true leader in that room. His production would be marginal, which would coincide with his price tag. Being from Tennessee and spending time there in the offseason could be a pull for him vs other teams if the money is similar. 

 

Don't get me wrong - I'd much prefer guys like Tate/Humphries/Beasley, but I just don't know how realistic that is if we sign a top flight OLB. 

 

You could structure those contracts in such a way that allows for more cap space overall in 2019, which is what Robinson typically does in back loading contracts. For instance, a contract for Smith could have a large signing bonus and a lot of guaranteed money, but only count 8M or so on the cap year one, similar to how Butler's contract only counted 6M last year. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When we discussed this earlier, you said we'd sign 3 starters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did we hear anything about the Butler deal last year before it happened? Just curious because right now we haven't really heard anything about the Titans potential moves. The main question is will we be making any big moves or will we continue to pick from the second tier of FAs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
3 minutes ago, ctm said:

When we discussed this earlier, you said we'd sign 3 starters

Yeah, Za'Darius Smith, Randall Cobb, and a guard (Jamon Brown in the case above). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
3 minutes ago, terradawg said:

Did we hear anything about the Butler deal last year before it happened? Just curious because right now we haven't really heard anything about the Titans potential moves. The main question is will we be making any big moves or will we continue to pick from the second tier of FAs.

I think it wasn't until the eve of free agency itself that it broke. 

 

Just keep an eye on who's not signing with other teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
Just now, tgo said:

Yeah, Za'Darius Smith, Randall Cobb, and a guard (Jamon Brown in the case above). 

Brown at 2M per year isn't a starter.  That's a depth contract at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
3 minutes ago, ctm said:

Brown at 2M per year isn't a starter.  That's a depth contract at best.

He's not going to get much more on the market than that. Nor will many of the low tier guards in the 2nd or 3rd waves of free agency. You'd sign him not guaranteeing him a starting position, but having a strong opportunity to start. 

 

His salary last year was 800k and Spain made 1.9M as our starter. 

 

I feel like we need that guard position to be a low salary spot on the team with the way the OL is structured money wise. I wouldn't complain if we signed a bigger time guard though of course. 

 

Regardless, I think I said "starting caliber player" specifically in the conversation we were having. Danny Shelton would start on early downs if we signed him. Wouldn't just be a backup.  

Edited by tgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   

Not sure what Barr is looking for so I'd consider him if he is reasonable to take Morgan's spot. 

I like the idea of Sheldon.  Might do well in our system and cheap.  Decent 2 down player. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
3 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Not sure what Barr is looking for so I'd consider him if he is reasonable to take Morgan's spot. 

I like the idea of Sheldon.  Might do well in our system and cheap.  Decent 2 down player. 

 

It's been reported that the Lions are the front runners for Barr, followed by the Jets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
Just now, Huston said:

They aren't going to sign a guy to a big contact who has little to no experience in a NFL 3-4 defense IMO.

Agreed. It could pay off for someone, but it's a risk and a projection almost like a draft pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
Just now, TeamRamrod27 said:

This thread title is very deceptive at a time like this lol

Is it? Sorry, I'll change it. Wasn't intentional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   
5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Agreed. It could pay off for someone, but it's a risk and a projection almost like a draft pick. 

The guy is 6'5, 255, athletic with long arms and his best asset is rushing the passer.  Barr played in a 3-4 defense at UCLA and had 13 sacks the first year.  10 sacks the next.  He ran a 4.66 40 at 255 pounds and had a 6.82 3 cone.  He was totally miscast in his role with the Vikings.  Now everyone is in love with Smith (8.5 sacks) but he hasn't had that great of a 4 year career.  He averages less than 5 sacks a year and 3 of his sacks last year were against the Titans.  If we are going to throw $12 mil around we might as well get the better athlete.  Smith is more of a DE than LB and doesn't offer the versatility (3 cone 7.42).  Barr could rush the passer equally as well and be more effective in space or in running people down.  Big difference in athleticism, speed and agility of the two.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
3 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

The guy is 6'5, 255, athletic with long arms and his best asset is rushing the passer.  Barr played in a 3-4 defense at UCLA and had 13 sacks the first year.  10 sacks the next.  He ran a 4.66 40 at 255 pounds and had a 6.82 3 cone.  He was totally miscast in his role with the Vikings.  Now everyone is in love with Smith (8.5 sacks) but he hasn't had that great of a 4 year career.  He averages less than 5 sacks a year and 3 of his sacks last year were against the Titans.  If we are going to throw $12 mil around we might as well get the better athlete.  Smith is more of a DE than LB and doesn't offer the versatility (3 cone 7.42).  Barr could rush the passer equally as well and be more effective in space or in running people down.  Big difference in athleticism, speed and agility of the two.   

 

In college, Barr got abused in the run game and had a lot of major flaws as an edge guy, which is why he was drafted into a 4-3 in the first place. I like Barr fine, but I don't know that he fits in this defense where it seems to prefer huge edge guys. Look at Clowney in Houston, Flowers in NE/Det, Suggs/Smith in Baltimore. That's the defense we run. Not sure we can afford to have *two* small guys like Landry and Barr manning the edges every down. 

 

Anyway, I bet he ends up with the Jets since they've been heavily linked to him. 

Edited by tgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...