2019 Free Agency News & Rumors

Jonboy

57 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

Yeah, I think the board is just going to fall that way. I did my entire 1st Round projection earlier today. I can easily see Bosa, Allen, Williams, Sweat, Gary, Oliver, Wilkins, and Burns all off the board before we pick. That would be unfortunate, but it also would not be the worst thing. We can hopefully either take a really good Offensive prospect (Bradbury, Hockenson, Whomever you consider WR1) or potentially trade back to get additional picks (but as Jrob says, "you need a dancing partner")

I think they are targeting DL in the 2nd or 3rd round as they have met with or will meet with Mack/Wren/Saunders/Wise so far that we know.

Bradbury would be my betting favorite.  Especially in light of the fact that the Panthers just signed a center and released their LT.  Very likely he's available and there are indications the front office wants to make running the ball and protecting MM a priority.  In addition Jones is a free agent in 2020.

As far as an offensive playmaker goes, it depends on how they evaluate T. Taylor and J. Smith.  Which guy do you want to take off the field?

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ctm said:

Bradbury would be my betting favorite.  Especially in light of the fact that the Panthers just signed a center and released their LT.  Very likely he's available and there are indications the front office wants to make running the ball and protecting MM a priority.  In addition Jones is a free agent in 2020.

As far as an offensive playmaker goes, it depends on how they evaluate T. Taylor and J. Smith.  Which guy do you want to take off the field?

Thats a ton of investment in the offensive line, but the tape I’ve watched on Bradbury would make it where I wouldn’t be upset with the pick. He’s perfect for the zone scheme. Put him next to Saffold and watch the entire left side of the line absolutely dominate. If we go that route I think you cut Kline immediately and let Jones and Pamphile battle it out for RG. 

Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

Thats a ton of investment in the offensive line, but the tape I’ve watched on Bradbury would make it where I wouldn’t be upset with the pick. He’s perfect for the zone scheme. Put him next to Saffold and watch the entire left side of the line absolutely dominate. If we go that route I think you cut Kline immediately and let Jones and Pamphile battle it out for RG. 

The decision on Kline will be made in 3 days.

6 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Yeah I forgot about that. Does the same go for Jones? 

No.  Jones could be cut at any time especially in light of the fact that the team currently has two other centers on the roster.  The question on him is whether the cap savings is worth giving up the experience.  But they could easily delay the decision on him till another player they crave comes available need the cap space.

Edited by ctm

3 minutes ago, gnawed said:

Is there any chance Bradbury would be available with our second pick? 20%?

Some people say no but there’s certainly a chance. It’s not guaranteed that he’s the first center taken even. Plenty of teams like other centers more. He’s a zone only center. 

I personally think Levin can succeed Jones at center and can be a very good player. 

Edited by tgo

It’s really difficult to come in and take over protection schemes as a rookie, esp in a year where they’re trying to contend and set Mariota up to maximize his success. 

People underestimate the rapport between Jones and Mariota in terms of protection schemes and how important that is, they’ve both spoken extensively about it as has Vrabel. 

Saffold and then Kline in the 2nd year of the ZBS on either side will make Jones look better. 

You’re setting yourselves up for disappointment thinking they’re gonna take a center at 19 I think. 

Edited by tgo

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

It’s really difficult to come in and take over protection schemes as a rookie, esp in a year where they’re trying to contend and set Mariota up to maximize his success. 

People underestimate the rapport between Jones and Mariota in terms of protection schemes and how important that is, they’ve both spoken extensively about it as has Vrabel. 

Saffold and then Kline in the 2nd year of the ZBS on either side will make Jones look better. 

You’re aetting yourselves up for disappointment thinking they’re gonna take a center at 19 I think. 

I’ve said for a while the only way our first pick is a center is via a trade down. There’s simply going to be too many good players at premium positions to justify it. Still, Robinson goes for his guy, so maybe Bradbury impresses the hell out of him. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

You’re aetting yourselves up for disappointment thinking they’re gonna take a center at 19 I think. 

Exactly, plus Jones makes most of the line calls as well. Levin would be the only player I could see play center this year outside of Jones.

Bradbury would be a perfectly fine pick at 19. Not sure if they'd make that pick, but they've clearly shown they want to upgrade the interior. If he's available, they should absolutely consider him. Jones is also on the last year of his deal so why not upgrade if you can? You could kick him to guard, let he and Kline compete and cut/do whatever with the loser. 

Personally, I still want to take a pass rusher in the first round. However, if they want to upgrade the IOL, by all means, I'm chill with that too. 

2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Robinson is transparent and truthful about his intentions, and I'm not seeing WR being in play at all in round 1.  If the goal is to add a play maker this year , I'm not sure anyone in the draft makes sense.  Hockensen should be plug and play, but I'd be surprised to see him get much more than 500 yards in his first year.  DT/OLB makes about a thousand times more sense, as we really don't have any investment in a young pass rusher other than Landry, and the WR group is deep.

He had fewer yards than Taylor last year.  Hell, his last two years combined hardly add up to Taylor's production last year.  What are you seeing?

Oh I 100% agree with you that OLB/DL make a ton more sense, but if the board falls in a way where all the best talent at those two positions are gone then you have to look at alternative options and getting a sure fire TE or ZBS Center would be two great moves as well. 

While yes we have invested a lot, the realistic approach and note is that it is very likely that Jones and Kline are both off the roster before next year and if Conklin does not come back strong he could be gone as well.

I’m just playing devils advocate that if Burns/Oliver/Wilkins are gone then you have to consider going BPA and that could very likely be offense.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic