Sign in to follow this  
AussieTitanFan08

Dolphins may be in the mix for Tyrod Taylor

I know a lot of members of TR were intrigued by the idea of bringing in Tyrod Taylor to backup Mariota, some pre-FA rumors that the Dolphins are keen to sign Taylor as a placeholder QB until they can find their QBOTF in the draft, that might not be until the 2020 Draft.

Have to think if Taylor has a chance to start in Miami he would be no chance to take a backup job in Nashville.

Number9   
12 minutes ago, titanruss said:

we arent' going after tyrod taylor. 

Do you think TT would make a very good backup if JRob could get him?  

10 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Do you think TT would make a very good backup if JRob could get him?  

not really... but i'm also not one of the ones who believe we ever got to run the offense that was intended for last year. 

if they want to run (stupidly) a run-first offense based of RPO and the wildcat?... sure bring in Tyrod. 

if they want to run last years intended offense?... then no i dont think Tyrod would be very good. 

the major point is if marcus only misses a couple of games - we can get by with gabbert fine. if marcus misses a ton of games then we already know we are moving on and the season is lost... so why try and salvage it with a guy as a backup that everyone knows is just good enough to not let us be terrible but not good enough for teams to care that he's the QB?

Edited by titanruss

Number9   
1 minute ago, titanruss said:

not really... but i'm also not one of the ones who believe we ever got to run the offense that was intended for last year. 

if they want to run (stupidly) a run-first offense based of RPO and the wildcat?... sure bring in Tyrod. 

the major point is if marcus only misses a couple of games - we can get by with gabbert fine. if marcus misses a ton of games then we already know we are moving on and the season is lost... so why try and salvage it with a guy as a backup that everyone knows is just good enough to not let us be terrible but not good enough for teams to care that he's the QB?

That's one way to look at it.  I think we have a playoff caliber team.  We need the best backup possible to keep the team winning if MM misses time.  This is kinda similar to when they brought NOD in.  Steve had some injury problems and NOD saved the 1999 season.  NOD reeled off a bunch of wins, but when Steve was ready he was back starting.

35 minutes ago, bostontitan said:

Titans are not going for new back up there happy to keep gabbart. There all ready said there happy with him there are more pressing needs ..not going to waste more money on a back up 

This is true. They actively fight against competition for the golden boy. It's sad and funny that clipboard jesus has been the closest thing to competition for Mary.

OILERMAN   

The Titans need more than a "back-up QB", they need a starter in waiting. MM will likely miss games and Gabbert has proven horrible. 

If MM misses games and it cost them like it has the last two seasons it's all on Robinson 

ctm   
5 hours ago, titanruss said:

if they want to run last years intended offense?... then no i dont think Tyrod would be very good. 

It depends on which weeks he misses.  There is a big difference in missing week 1 vs. missing a colts game, week 17 or a playoff game.  I'm of the opinion that Gabbert needs to be upgraded, if possible.

abc2330   
41 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The Titans need more than a "back-up QB", they need a starter in waiting. MM will likely miss games and Gabbert has proven horrible. 

If MM misses games and it cost them like it has the last two seasons it's all on Robinson 

Is the expectation that we go undefeated with a backup QB ?  

Soxcat   

If you want one extreme of the argument go to the other.  JRob needs to make sure our backup sucks so bad we can't win games with him.  Is that the expectation?

We have people literally wanting Gabbert over Taylor because Taylor might be too good?  Really?  The point is to have a guy who is as good as we can find within monetary reasonableness. 

This was always the problem. Taylor thinks he can still be a starter and a team might give him that chance outright. We'd be one of the better places to go if he has to go somewhere to become a backup though.

cenj   

For a full time starter I wouldn't advocate this, but it's not a bad idea to draft an athletic, scrambling QB late in the draft as a backup.

Those guys don't become franchise QBs who can sustain offenses, but as a gadget guy off the bench for a couple games? It probably would give us a better chance than some lead-footed vet who also can't consistently pass.

We wouldn't care about him taking too many hits, nor his ability to command the entire offense. Just give him some RPOs, get Henry moving, and tell him to make a few broken play first downs. I honestly believe we'd have a better chance to win with a guy like that than Blaine Gabbert.