18 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

So I'm confused here. I didnt hear her specify professionals. 

Maybe that was just my interpretation and I'm wrong.  Either way, I'm not offended by her statement.

So the ppl it was intended for didn't care much one way or the other to leave their opinion?

Maybe that is why she is upset and feels the need to attack those who did leave an opinion?

I couldn't say - I don't really follow review-system for movies closely.

Perhaps.  There may have been a line of questioning to lead to this statement.

I haven't seen Wonder Woman or CM. Never been a fan of comics or the movies although I have watched some. But I would say both being comic based and both female leads, similar style. I'm sure you'd agree.

WW was the 7th highest grossing comic adaptation film. And if you take out the Avengers movies (which we should because I dont think it's fair to compare a movie with multiple heros/villains to a movie that is about an individual character even if they tie it in to the whole shebang), it was top 4. Black Panther was #1.

Shapiro made a good point. I'll post the video.

He says "When Black Panther does great, it's not indicative of how racist the country isnt, but when CM bombs, it is indicative of how sexist the country is". WW doing 7th highest gross should slap anyone in the face that believes the criticism is due to sexism/female lead.

I'd agree that there are similarities between CM and WW, yes.  

I imagine Shapiro's video (didn't watch - just commenting on your quote) is moot due to CM not bombing and therefore his premise is false.  As for criticism towards a female lead, another posted research that shows there is a bias.  An anecdote, but my FIL couldn't stand Wonder Woman because he couldn't believe a woman could do any of that (nevermind that it is a comic movie, fiction, etc). 

3 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

So why are ppl crying about sexism hurting the movie?

Kinda funny, no?

I think it was the organized attempt to subvert the movie with false reviews that people have an issue with.  

But it does point out that this is a vocal minority that gets amplified on the internet.

18 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

.As for criticism towards a female lead, another posted research that shows there is a bias.  An anecdote, but my FIL couldn't stand Wonder Woman because he couldn't believe a woman could do any of that (nevermind that it is a comic movie, fiction, etc). 

So because, possibly, 40 or 50k ppl felt a certain way, that's cause to call out an entire group?

She also went on to say Ill make sure my tour doesnt consist of a lot of white males.

What if they are actual fans? She's going to punish true fans because of 0.001% of the population, if that, leaving negative feedback?

Who the hell does she think makes comics so big and gives her the opportunity to make 5 million by doing a comic based film?

We all know what would happen if she picked a different race and said that.

I understand ppl wanting to fight for those they feel are still treated or judged unfairly, but when did it become ok to vilify and entire group because you have a problem with 3% of that group?

16 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

I think it was the organized attempt to subvert the movie with false reviews that people have an issue with.  

But it does point out that this is a vocal minority that gets amplified on the internet.

They werent false reviews. They were previews. Comments that came about before the movie even happened. Ppl saw the trailer, criticized it. That's why you may have seen them talking about the "need to see" rating being low. 

But again, that didnt happen for WW. So how all of a sudden, a year after WW, all of these sexists came out of nowhere to bash this movies trailer and not WWs?

Maybe it was ppl pissed off about previous things she said that they felt targeted them, so it waa payback more than it was an "attack on a female lead in a comic based movie". And it was more personal and directly about Brie, not the Movie or her being the lead. 

Edited by JakePA_Titan

20 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

That's what the spin doctors were saying to preemptively save face in case the movie flopped, and the first weekend numbers gave them reason to gush over how CM pounded the trolls, but you could easily say that RT's move to take down the "Want To See It" score (it wasn't reviews) was them bending to Disney's will because they were worried it might hurt the film's box office. I mean, there are a ton of gushing reviews of this movie from people that you could say have just as visible an agenda...  but I guess that's ok? Even if the movie is not a good movie (not saying it is... i haven't seen it)? Different strokes notwithstanding...

You can attribute the backlash to a "vocal minority" if you want... but people are getting increasingly tired of the in their face politics encroaching on their entertainment. Most people who work regular jobs might just want to tune the out of all the bullshit on the weekends a little. Idk why is that such a difficult thing to accomodate for some people.

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

That's what the spin doctors were saying to preemptively save face in case the movie flopped, and the first weekend numbers gave them reason to gush over how CM pounded the trolls, but you could easily say that RT's move to take down the "Want To See It" score (it wasn't reviews) was them bending to Disney's will because they were worried it might hurt the film's box office. I mean, there are a ton of gushing reviews of this movie from people that you could say have just as visible an agenda...  but I guess that's ok? Even if the movie is not a good movie (not saying it is... i haven't seen it)? Different strokes notwithstanding...

You can attribute the backlash to a "vocal minority" if you want... but people are getting increasingly tired of the in their face politics encroaching on their entertainment. Most people who work regular jobs might just want to tune the out of all the bullshit on the weekends a little. Idk why is that such a difficult thing to accomodate for some people.

Are you questioning the existence of the incels organizing in an attempt to hurt CM’s box office?

2 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

So because, possibly, 40 or 50k ppl felt a certain way, that's cause to call out an entire group?

She also went on to say Ill make sure my tour doesnt consist of a lot of white males.

What if they are actual fans? She's going to punish true fans because of 0.001% of the population, if that, leaving negative feedback?

Who the hell does she think makes comics so big and gives her the opportunity to make 5 million by doing a comic based film?

We all know what would happen if she picked a different race and said that.

I understand ppl wanting to fight for those they feel are still treated or judged unfairly, but when did it become ok to vilify and entire group because you have a problem with 3% of that group?

They werent false reviews. They were previews. Comments that came about before the movie even happened. Ppl saw the trailer, criticized it. That's why you may have seen them talking about the "need to see" rating being low. 

But again, that didnt happen for WW. So how all of a sudden, a year after WW, all of these sexists came out of nowhere to bash this movies trailer and not WWs?

Maybe it was ppl pissed off about previous things she said that they felt targeted them, so it waa payback more than it was an "attack on a female lead in a comic based movie". And it was more personal and directly about Brie, not the Movie or her being the lead. 

1- calling out an entire group:

Isnt this normal political behavior?  I recall you sharing many videos of some individual and painting the group with the brush. Maybe you’ve changed since then, though. 

2- what if...

So?  Are all journalists granted instant access to everything if they are a fan or not?  I imagine there are a limited number of press passes at events. Perhaps Marvel invites some specifically before opening up the remaining passes to the general pool. 

3- false reviews

50k+ negative reviews appeared the moment the movie was released on Thursday. They were fake and part of the whining incels. 

4- sexists

The personal vendetta vs Larson doesn’t mean it isn’t also sexists. Hell, @NashvilleNinja posted details that pissed off this delicate group and he hasn’t even seen the movie. The part of changing some character to female is so insignificant that it is amazing that it was brought up at all.  Either way, being mad at the actress isn’t mutually exclusive from sexist beliefs. (Yes, that leaves room to be mad at her and not be sexist. )

42 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

1- calling out an entire group:

Isnt this normal political behavior?  

So anything that pertains to sexism or racism is also political? I feel the media turned it into a political issue. What about what she had to say was politically driven? It was about discrimination. Doesnt always equate to politics. 

I recall you sharing many videos of some individual and painting the group with the brush. Maybe you’ve changed since then, though. 

You're right. But I thought the Dems and left were better than that and against ir. They seem to relish it when it comes from their camp. Plus, I also strongly believe my generalizations come from a much larger % of that group doing what they're doing. When 50% of homicides come from a group that makes up 17% of the population, it's easier to group ppl together compared to 2% of the population doing said act. 

2- what if...

So?  Are all journalists granted instant access to everything if they are a fan or not?  

Journalists? We're talking about paying fans....yes. fans who have money and pay for their service or entertainment usually don't get rejected due to the color of their skin or because they have a dick instead of a vagina. And when that does happen, it's a big deal 90% of the time. Obviously, not as much in this case because in current time, it's not frowned upon to discriminate against whites. Especially white males. But at least CNN and WaPo is about to learn their lesson. 

I imagine there are a limited number of press passes at events. Perhaps Marvel invites some specifically before opening up the remaining passes to the general pool. 

Again, I dont think we are talking simply about the press. Maybe I'm mistaken. 

3- false reviews

50k+ negative reviews appeared the moment the movie was released on Thursday. They were fake and part of the whining incels. 

That's what Rotten Tomatoes said because of the backlash about them. 

The film site had supposedly tweaked its system to fight the targeted work of trolls by nixing scores from users who, for example, haven’t even seen a particular movie yet

1. How exactly do they know who has and has not seen it? 2. How can you prove that first question and how can you prove which ones were giving an honest opinion and which were actually just sexist trolls? 3. How do you know it was because of sexism and not retaliation based on something she said at a earlier time as I stated previously? 4. Do they just say "oh, that's pretty negative, it has to be a sexist troll"? 

4- sexists

The personal vendetta vs Larson doesn’t mean it isn’t also sexists.

I agree, but as you said below, it doesnt automatically mean it is. But they automatically perceived it that way.....because....and this is where it kicks into politics....because the left feels that gives them ammo. Anytime there is anything close to being negative, dems and leftists figure a way to make it political and make the entire group victims.....

Hell, @NashvilleNinja posted details that pissed off this delicate group and he hasn’t even seen the movie. The part of changing some character to female is so insignificant that it is amazing that it was brought up at all.  Either way, being mad at the actress isn’t mutually exclusive from sexist beliefs. (Yes, that leaves room to be mad at her and not be sexist. )

Edited by JakePA_Titan

On 3/10/2019 at 4:48 PM, NashvilleNinja said:

I know there are women-hating groups of anonymous keyboard warriors out there ready to strike anything female down, like there are groups for anything, but this isn't that. I could care less whether the lead in a film is male or female as long as they do a good job with it. There have been plenty of great female leads in action movies over the years. Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton, Gal Gadot, Charlize Theron, Uma Thurman, Kate Beckinsale, etc. I don't remember any of them going off on feminist tangents to promote their films the way Larson did. I got the vibe from her like she thought she was the first true female lead to ever grace the screen. I doubt she actually thinks that, but that's the vibe I got.

And yeah, the movie Alita Battle Angel has gotten a lot of buzz from sci-fi geeks but I don't understand how that's a problem. If people liked the movie they liked the movie. It hasn't gotten as much love from the so-called "expert critics" as it has from the audience, but critics sometimes don't know their own asshole from a hole in the ground. And/or they're paid shills for the studios who pump one movie over another simply because that was the source of their greatest perks.

Idk about that... the first I heard about all the white man-hating feminist propaganda was from 30 something black dudes on YouTube. 😕

I mean, she was the one who brought that stuff up during the press tour for the movie. And brought it up and brought it up and brought it up. And I'm looking at reviews of the movie itself and the feminist stuff is apparently baked right in. From the symbolic blasting of the True Lies Schwarzenegger cut out (biggest action film star of the time) but the leaving of Jamie Lee Curtis cutout alone, the emasculating of Nick Fury's character in the movie compared to all the other Marvel movies his character has been in, the bitch ass way Fury lost his eye, the turning of Mar-Vell into a woman when the character was male in the comics, the woman-dominated soundtrack of the movie, etc.

Is all that fake?

Sounds like someone has been trying to trigger you exactly how you've been triggered. 

25 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

3- false reviews

There were not 50k negative reviews Thursday night. There were between 10k-20k. And it held anywhere from a 35% to 40% "liked it" score. There are currently, at least in my web browser that I just refreshed and took a screenshot of, 55,924 user reviews holding a 59% liked it rating.

lwqUo9N.jpg

Not everyone is a boogeyman incel hating on your movie crush. Maybe a good portion of people just didn't like the movie for no other reason than they thought it was underwhelming for a movie that is supposed to tie directly onto Endgame and really the overall MCU universe.

25 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

4- sexists

The personal vendetta vs Larson doesn’t mean it isn’t also sexists. Hell, @NashvilleNinja posted details that pissed off this delicate group and he hasn’t even seen the movie. The part of changing some character to female is so insignificant that it is amazing that it was brought up at all.  Either way, being mad at the actress isn’t mutually exclusive from sexist beliefs. (Yes, that leaves room to be mad at her and not be sexist. )

I'm not a fan of Brie Larson's acting to begin with, but that doesn't mean I have a personal vendetta against her. The only thing I've seen her in that I halfway liked her in was Scott Pilgrim but I'm thinking, in hindsight, that role was just an exaggerated version of who she really is.

I would have preferred someone like Yvonne Strahovski for the role. As far as appearances go she looked like she would have been a much better/closer fit and I've liked her in everything I've seen her in. There were any number of actresses that could have played the role but Kevin Fiege wanted Brie for whatever reason. Which is fine... it's not like the cornerstone of Marvel movies are these thespian-like acting performances anyway. But then came the SJW world tour to promote the movie. And now come the movie reviews talking about how it was baked into the movie too and not just a part of her personal quest for _______.

So, yeah I've got a tiny bit of hesitation to see the movie. And no, it doesn't have a damn thing to do with being theckthist, which I'm not. But whatever, see it however.

1 hour ago, JakePA_Titan said:

So anything that pertains to sexism or racism is also political? I feel the media turned it into a political issue. What about what she had to say was politically driven? It was about discrimination. Doesnt always equate to politics. 

The political extremes will make anything about politics.  I'm not sure CM is a political issue moreso than a response by people being against something and the usual groups supporting each other.

Journalists? We're talking about paying fans....yes. fans who have money and pay for their service or entertainment usually don't get rejected due to the color of their skin or because they have a dick instead of a vagina. And when that does happen, it's a big deal 90% of the time. Obviously, not as much in this case because in current time, it's not frowned upon to discriminate against whites. Especially white males. But at least CNN and WaPo is about to learn their lesson. 

Again, I dont think we are talking simply about the press. Maybe I'm mistaken. 

I think Larson was talking about journalists in both instances (critics for the other movie and inviting non-white male journalists for the CM press tour).  I'm not aware of any statement about fans.  

That's what Rotten Tomatoes said because of the backlash about them. 

Hypothetically that could be true.  However, I am more confident (based on the organized anger vs CM) that tech-savy trolls tried to game the system and system (Rotten Tomatoes) changed the rules on them.  

1. How exactly do they know who has and has not seen it? 2. How can you prove that first question and how can you prove which ones were giving an honest opinion and which were actually just sexist trolls? 3. How do you know it was because of sexism and not retaliation based on something she said at a earlier time as I stated previously? 4. Do they just say "oh, that's pretty negative, it has to be a sexist troll"? 

1 - The vast number of reviews that flooded in during a short amount of time leads one to believe it was from non-viewers.

2 - That's the problem with the trolls.  Honest criticism is being washed away and disregarded because of their tantrum.

3 - It could be either or both.  I'm not arguing in favor of one alone.

4 - I believe it is more of #1 above.

I agree, but as you said below, it doesnt automatically mean it is. But they automatically perceived it that way.....because....and this is where it kicks into politics....because the left feels that gives them ammo. Anytime there is anything close to being negative, dems and leftists figure a way to make it political and make the entire group victims.....

Two sides to that coin.  Distraction politics that focuses on emotional outrage is the core to getting elected.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

There were not 50k negative reviews Thursday night. There were between 10k-20k. And it held anywhere from a 35% to 40% "liked it" score. There are currently, at least in my web browser that I just refreshed and took a screenshot of, 55,924 user reviews holding a 59% liked it rating.

https://bgr.com/2019/03/09/captain-marvel-rotten-tomatoes-troll-reviews/

Your "refreshed" screenshot is after the trolls were purged.

The film site had supposedly tweaked its system to fight the targeted work of trolls by nixing scores from users who, for example, haven’t even seen a particular movie yet. Even so, as of early Friday morning — before many cinemas were even open for the day in their local communities — the movie that tells the origin story of how Carol Danvers became a superhero had a 33% Rotten Tomatoes audience score generated from more than 58,000 reviews.

For comparison, that’s more than the current total number of Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews for Avengers: Infinity War — and, again, Captain Marvel has only been officially out for a few hours. By noon, however, it seems Rotten Tomatoes had taken some action. The total number of audience reviews at the time of this writing, mid-day Friday, has now dropped down to almost 4,300, though the audience score still stood at 36%.

Feel free to dig in, but it looks like you are getting played.

More links to 50k negative reviews for @NashvilleNinja:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/44480/update-hows-captain-marvels-audience-score-rotten-james-barrett 

But on the day of the Brie Larson-starring film's release, the page was flooded with negative fan reviews, prompting Rotten Tomatoes to reportedly purge about 50,000 comments it deemed to be the work of trolls.