Trade War - how is that working out?

Legaltitan

16 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Even if this "trade deal" goes through, it won't make up for all the money already lost.  All of this instability and they won't even break even.  Trump supporters have no idea what a win is other than what fox news tells them.  

It hasn't been that long ago that Trump posters were raving about what a great deal he made with North Korea.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Per numbers released today, the deficit is up 77% this quarter, while the trade deficit is the highest it's ever been.   I think we can reasonably interpret that as meaning several things: T

The trade deficit and the federal budget deficit are both increasing.  That's exactly the opposite of what Trump said he would do.   No amount of spin changes that.

We'll likely have a Democratic President in 2020, and at some point both those numbers could go down. Then they'll claim that Trump was right, and it was just a lagging indicator. The irony will be lo

18 hours ago, ctm said:

It hasn't been that long ago that Trump posters were raving about what a great deal he made with North Korea.

I'll wait for the details instead of a tweet. Last time Trump tweeted about China buying billion of dollars of agriculture goods, there was a misinterpretation of the amount of goods the Chinese actually agreed to buy.  The phrase "many, many" seems like a lot to 4th graders, but it does not mean billions.

By the way, what is the status on the new NAFTA deal?

Edited by Btowner

57 minutes ago, Btowner said:

I'll wait for the details instead of a tweet. Last time Trump tweeted about China buying billion of dollars of agriculture goods, there was a misinterpretation of the amount of goods the Chinese actually agreed to buy.  The phrase "many, many" seems like a lot to 4th graders, but it does not mean billions.

By the way, what is the status on the new NAFTA deal?

The article I read this AM said that the agreement with China that Trump was tweeting about said that any new tariffs would be frozen and China would agree to buy some agriculture products.  Nothing about the existing tariffs  already in place and timeline to do so or theft of intellectual property, etc.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/11/wall-street-has-doubts-after-partial-trade-deal.html

The agreement with Mexico and Canada is in the House for consideration.

Edited by ctm

A former GOP county chairman and Ohio farmer said Monday he wouldn't vote for President Trump again even if the president walked on water.

Chris Gibbs, the former chairman of the Shelby County Republican Party, told CNBC that he feels "dubious" about the Trump administration's announced agricultural buys from China amounting to $40 billion to $50 billion amid the heated trade war between Washington and Beijing that experts say has hit farmers particularly hard.

"He could come up with this $50 billion, he could walk across my pond and not get wet, and I’m still not going to vote for him because, you know, at the end of the day my name is Chris Gibbs, it’s not Judas, and I’m not going to sell my political moorings for 30 pieces of silver," Gibbs said.

The soybean and corn farmer voted for Trump in 2016 but said he's "out" when it comes to supporting Trump this time around. The president announced Friday that China and the U.S. had agreed on a "phase one deal," in which China would commit to purchasing billions of dollars in agricultural products. 

“I don’t believe it until [the crops are] on the boat. This is deja vu all over again,” Gibbs said, referring to the president's previous announcements that Mexico and the European Union would purchase large amounts of agriculture products. “He’s done that before. Somebody has to speak truth to power a little bit,” Gibbs said. “And I hate to be a downer on this all the time, but somebody has to be practical.”

Who didn't see this

The Fantastically Profitable Mystery of the Trump Chaos Trades

The president’s talk can move markets—and it’s made some futures traders billions. Did they know what he was going to say before he said it?

But these wins were peanuts compared to the money made by a trader, or group of traders, who bought 420,000 September e-minis in the last 30 minutes of trading on June 28. That was some 40% of the day’s trading volume in September e-minis—making it a trade that could not easily be ignored. By then, President Trump was already in Osaka, Japan—14 hours ahead of Chicago—and on his way to a roughly hour-long meeting with China’s President Xi Jinping as part of the G20 summit. On Saturday in Osaka, after the market had closed in Chicago, Trump emerged from his meeting with Xi and announced that the intermittent trade talks were “back on track.” The following week was a good one in the stock market, thanks to the Trump announcement. On Thursday, June 27, the S&P 500 index stood at about 2915; a week or so later, it was just below 3000, a gain of 84 points, or $4,200 per e-mini contract. Whoever bought the 420,000 e-minis on June 28 had made a handsome profit of nearly $1.8 billion.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, TennesseeTuxedo said:

This deal encourages United States manufacturing and regional economic growth by requiring that 75 percent of auto content be made in North America.

I'm not really offended by this, however, pre-Trump conservatives would have considered this an encroachment of the free market by government.  

I'm guessing it's time to put parenthesis around the word conservative now.  

23 minutes ago, Rogue said:

I'm not really offended by this, however, pre-Trump conservatives would have considered this an encroachment of the free market by government.  

I'm guessing it's time to put parenthesis around the word conservative now.  

Just substitute disciple

29 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

???

I'm really not offended over this....however...

???

Lmao

This is what hate looks like. "I dont have a problem with this but I'm still going to throw shade...."

I guess you must want to put parenthesis around liberal now too since they are currently the ones fearing and opposing change and new opinions. 

Because lord knows, if an opinion comes up that isnt theirs, it's either racist, sexist, or pure idiocy. 

The left is dying because they can't get away from all that hate they harbor. It controls them. 

You do understand that being okay with an issue and showing hypocrisy over the same issue are two different things, right Simple J?  Maybe?  Well, probably not.  

37 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

You found a way to turn a positive into a back handed compliment. 

You're a crybaby bitch. But go ahead and call me simple if it makes you feel better about your hateful self. What yall run to everytime. ???

Like I said, probably not.  You do you, Simple J.  

46 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

You bought every BS claim made by the Democrats. 

It's funny you can call someone simple. 

How's collusion going for you in 2020?

If it looks like a duck......

• 2 weeks later...