Trade War - how is that working out?

Legaltitan

As someone who likes most of Trumps policies, I can say I do not agree with this one. 

While I think he is doing it to get Mexicos attention or Congressional attention, the enforcement is some arbitrary rules he has set. He might do the 5% tariff just so he can save face on this, but I would wager he wont enforce anything after that.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Per numbers released today, the deficit is up 77% this quarter, while the trade deficit is the highest it's ever been.   I think we can reasonably interpret that as meaning several things: T

The trade deficit and the federal budget deficit are both increasing.  That's exactly the opposite of what Trump said he would do.   No amount of spin changes that.

We'll likely have a Democratic President in 2020, and at some point both those numbers could go down. Then they'll claim that Trump was right, and it was just a lagging indicator. The irony will be lo

4 hours ago, 'Nator said:

Serious question. 

Do we have the dumbest leader? Where does Trump rank?

When you factor in the intelligence and the fact he's got the temperament of an 8 year old he's so unfit for office it's plain as day. 

26 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

When you factor in the intelligence and the fact he's got the temperament of an 8 year old he's so unfit for office it's plain as day. 

….add in lazy and borderline illiterate. 

He makes no effort to educate himself on the issues and then does the opposite and refuses his briefings.

45 minutes ago, pamo9 said:

Yeah, but dumbass thinks Mexico should turn them away at their southern border somehow

For decades since the UN was founded after World War II, the international convention on refugees is that they must be allowed passage to the destination they choose, without interference by any other country.  Fyi

10 minutes ago, pamo9 said:

For decades since the UN was founded after World War II, the international convention on refugees is that they must be allowed passage to the destination they choose, without interference by any other country.  Fyi

UN! Globalism! New World Order!

I'm no expert on this stuff and I think Trump trying to just brute force this isn't the right tact but China absolutely has to be dealt with. The IP violations and espionage risk simply can't be tolerated. I don't think this is the right way but I'll take this over nothing. 

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I'm no expert on this stuff and I think Trump trying to just brute force this isn't the right tact but China absolutely has to be dealt with. The IP violations and espionage risk simply can't be tolerated. I don't think this is the right way but I'll take this over nothing. 

China has plenty of trade issues, but tariffs are a stupid and ineffective way to try and fix the problem.  

Around two-thirds of U.S. imports from Mexico, which totaled $371.9 billion last year, were “related-party” trade, meaning companies bringing in parts and products as part of their supply chain, according to data compiled by Deutsche Bank. The U.S. imported $124 billion in auto products from Mexico in 2018, which includes new and used passenger vehicles; medium, heavy and other trucks; and auto parts, according to the International Trade Administration.

Some auto parts cross the border as many as eight or nine times before becoming finished products, potentially opening up auto giants including GM, Ford and Fiat Chrysler to tariffs exponentially higher than the headline number.

“The most important and the second most important and the third most important part of this is cars, car parts, trucks and buses,” said Torsten Slok, chief economist at Deutsche Bank Securities. “This has everything to do with the auto industry, which is by far the biggest beneficiary of our relationship with Mexico and where you will see the most pain if this goes through.”

On any given day, more than $452 million worth of auto parts are traded in either direction across the U.S.-Mexico border, said Ann Wilson, senior vice president of the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association.

The companies also celebrated earlier this month when Trump agreed to lift steel and aluminum tariffs on Mexico and Canada, which raised their production costs. They now face a new and perhaps graver threat. Deutsche Bank estimated the Mexico tariffs could raise the cost of vehicles sold in the U.S. by about $1,300.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/31/trumps-trade-tariffs-mexico-1495449

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

The TPP was the way to deal with China.... too bad the idiot in chief has an Obama complex.

They don’t understand things like the TPP, NAFTA, Iran deal and even the ACA are starting frameworks to bring everyone to the table.

They are ever green agreements that will need tweaking and even multiple versions. Instead the approach is to blow everything up and if Obama did it, it’s automatically discarded.

I guess they they should have told him TPP is the Trump Pacific Plan