Jonboy

Chiefs Releasing Justin Houston (Update: Now Official)

4 hours ago, reo said:

I'm still more interested in Barr but I wouldn't mind if they signed Houston instead.

30 yr old OLBs aren't the future though. We'd still need to draft one. Sign Barr and we don't. 

Any chance we sign both Barr and Houston or would that cost too much? I know Landry is probably going to be our future, but Houston for a year or two along with Barr and Landry might make for a very good rotation that stays fresh through all 4 quarters.

reo   
4 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Any chance we sign both Barr and Houston or would that cost too much? I know Landry is probably going to be our future, but Houston for a year or two along with Barr and Landry might make for a very good rotation that stays fresh through all 4 quarters.

I wouldn't mind it but I'd think it'd be unlikely. 

If they sign Houston I'd say there's a higher chance they draft one as well.

nine   

This is a pretty good year for pass rushers in free agency....and with the importance of pass rush and with Landry and Finch being dirt-cheap for a couple more years, I wouldn't be shocked if JRob looks to bring in two upper-tier guys.    There obviously isn't a $20M Khalil Mack type available....but bringing in two guys for $12M+ each would give the team pretty ridiculous talent and depth across the front seven for the foreseeable future.

Of course, such a move would obviously have significant cap ramifications for the next couple years...but pass rush is such a critical and fundamental aspect of football strategy, you have to at least consider it.   

27 minutes ago, nine said:

This is a pretty good year for pass rushers in free agency....and with the importance of pass rush and with Landry and Finch being dirt-cheap for a couple more years, I wouldn't be shocked if JRob looks to bring in two upper-tier guys.    There obviously isn't a $20M Khalil Mack type available....but bringing in two guys for $12M+ each would give the team pretty ridiculous talent and depth across the front seven for the foreseeable future.

Of course, such a move would obviously have significant cap ramifications for the next couple years...but pass rush is such a critical and fundamental aspect of football strategy, you have to at least consider it.   

I see this as an option, but less likely than getting 1 expensive OLB in FA and aiming for a cheap one in the first/second round.

reo   
2 hours ago, ChemEngr79 said:

I see this as an option, but less likely than getting 1 expensive OLB in FA and aiming for a cheap one in the first/second round.

I really don't want to go OLB in the draft again but we very well might especially if we go after Houston. If we got Barr though, we could probably push it to the mid rounds or later.

Soxcat   

OLBs that can play are expensive in FA.  If we can draft one it makes sense.  I do like Barr because of his versatility and the fact Pees likes to bring guys from all over and have other guys drop into coverage. 

tgo   
1 minute ago, Number9 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/10/report-lions-considered-the-favorites-to-land-anthony-barr/

I would sure rather see the Titans name in this article than in the AB drama, but not a word.

Because we're not interested in Barr because he's not a fit here in this defense. 

We're going to very likely sign Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith or Justin Houston. 

Edited by tgo

Number9   
5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Because we're not interested in Barr because he's not a fit here in this defense. 

We're going to very likely sign Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith or Justin Houston. 

Okay.  I thought I remember guys saying he would do better here because the Titans would use him right.  My mistake.

tgo   
1 minute ago, Number9 said:

Okay.  I thought I remember guys saying he would do better here because the Titans would use him right.  My mistake.

Yeah, why pay a player 20 million+ guaranteeed for what he *might* *possibly* do if put in a better situation when you can sign guys with extensive productive experience in the exact defense that you run.  

reo   

Yeah it's probably Z.Smith due to Pees' familiarity with him but I wish we'd look at Barr.

tgo   

It’s clearly gonna be either Z Smith or Justin Houston with PK saying we’re not interested in Preston.