KingTitan8

Titans in on AB (Update: Traded to Raiders for 3rd & 5th)

abenjami   

I don't blame the Titans for not making this happen.  It never really made sense to me that they would be seriously interested from the beginning.

The draft pick compensation is fine.  Giving up a 3rd and a 5th for a guy like AB is a steal actually, even at age 31.  The problem is the money.  He's a 31 year old malcontent WR and we don't even know if our QB is a long-term answer or not.   No thanks to the scenario in a year from now where we are looking to reboot at QB and find ourselves stuck with a 32 year old guy we still owe $40M to.

IMO, it wouldn't be a stretch to say the fact we didn't make this deal happen is an indictment of the front office's opinion of MM.

OILERMAN   
1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Just to add onto this the offense wasn’t conservative until the last four or five games. 

This was true after the bye when MM was healthy too 

AvgJoe   

I think we all can agree that LaFleur did not do a good job last year and I don’t think Mariota struggling was the major reason for that. The guy overthought everything way too damn much. My biggest complaint was how long it would take for him to go away from things that were not working, such as running the ball up the middle almost every m’fing first down. The biggest comment I’ve taken away on Arthur Smith is Delanie (I believe) saying any time Smith would recommend something for the offense, it worked.

I think adding a Hockenson, Smith, or Fant might be more important than any other position. TE’s taking away a good coverage LB or Safety consistently opens the offense up. 

Edited by AvgJoe

21 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Mariota was only healthy for a game and a half immediately after the bye. 

The closest thing to the offense the team wanted to run was from the eagles game through the 1st half of the pats game.  That’s when mariota was heathier.

also.. it’s during that time vrabel said he wants to run more. 

BudAdams   
1 hour ago, heyitsmeallen said:

what I get from this is that his talk of not caring about the $ and only wanting a real team and owner that care about him, were all BS. 

Plenty of us said that from the get go.  The fact the Raiders enabled this sets a horrible precedent for long term contracts.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Then the Steelers would have gotten a 2nd

Actually considering the circumstances I think the Raiders essentially got him at a discount. The Steelers got exploited by AB and the Raiders. 

9 minutes ago, luvyablue256 said:

Im referring to free agent signings

Well he made Lewis a top 10 back. He was higher before some guys got extensions. He also made butler a top 10 corner. Like I said, only ex pats get overpaid by him. 

BudAdams   

The contract demands caused everyone but the Raiders to drop out.  Trading the existing contract he signed in 2017 would have likely seen more teams interested and a higher return for the Steelers.

This situation, however, is very likely IMO to change the landscape of contracts to avoid situations like this with every player who gets a year or two into a long deal where the market price goes up.  I think the long-term deals with massive signing bonuses is over.  Teams will react to this with much smaller term deals (which they inevitably become).  You'll see more teams use mechanisms with guaranteed salaries and smaller signing bonuses - which the players won't like from the payout standpoint.  You get the SB money upfront but the salaries are paid weekly during the season. 

On a side note, teams playing WR's 20 M per year are suckers.  Same for RB's.  The problem is that too many cheaper players can produce in those positions at a reasonable, winning level.  Dominant DL, OT, QB.  Those are the spots most difficult to find elite players.