Titans in on AB (Update: Traded to Raiders for 3rd & 5th)

1 hour ago, woolfolksunclesuncle said:

AB traded by Friday? The Steelers are fucking liars....I didn't think that I could dislike them more, but here we are. I detest dirty fibbers.....

Mike Tomlin has to be on the hottest seat in the NFL right now. I have always thought he is overrated, a lot like George Seifert was in SF.

After what has gone on with Bell and AB the last two years, his ability to control the players on his team really has to be brought into question.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would actually say the Demarrco Murray trade was huge for turning around the franchise. Did his legs fall off and his ability with it? Yeah, but that first year he really helped change the leadershi

I’m Antonio Brown’s burner account. 

Posted Images

One of the things Belichick doesn't get enough credit for is handling his roster in this regard. 

When players on the Pats get where they have leverage he gets rid of them, lets them leave in FA or trades them. He's not letting someone cause a stir wanting a new deal. He's very selective with who the Pats pay. 

Seymour wants a new deal, bye, Moss/Welker wants a new deal, bye, Jamie Collins wants a new deal, bye. 

I think teams overvalue how much difference single players matter in the overall scheme.

The Steelers were fine without Bell last year and they'd be fine without Brown. 

6 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Like this dirty ho right here?

dirty mind minds GIF

Oh man....that started out sexy until it turned out to be his face :( .

4 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

Mike Tomlin has to be on the hottest seat in the NFL right now. I have always thought he is overrated, a lot like George Seifert was in SF.

After what has gone on with Bell and AB the last two years, his ability to control the players on his team really has to be brought into question.

I agree 100 percent. I think he's the most overrated coach in the league. Outside of his terrible handling of personnel,  we'll see his true coaching worth when he loses Ben.

4 minutes ago, SuperFreak90 said:

Would be totally hilarious if the Steelers don't trade AB at this point. 

It's very possible and likely always was. No one is giving into his contract demands and the Steelers aren't going to release him. 

Andrew Brandt said from the start he believed Brown would remain with the Steelers. 

I'd call him in and say we tried to trade you and no one will do it, play or sit out, it's totally up to you. If you don't play we're coming after your signing bonus 

10 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

You were thinking that there is a good chance he bombs out if he goes somewhere that doesn't have a great QB. Then I asked if you thought any GM who goes after him without having a great QB is an idiot, to which you said yes. But then I asked if you thought JRob is an idiot and this is the non-answer you come back with?

Its not a non answer. Their decision depends on how they value MM.

Judging by the criteria you set up they must think pretty highly of MM to go after Brown, but then you give yourself an out in case they went after him but didn't offer as much as others did?

I'd say it's more of a refinement of the original point due to the questions you brought up.

JRob isn't afraid to make moves he's confident in, but he's not trying to get raped by anyone regardless of who or what is being dangling on the line either. 

It's more likely they set a value on Brown depending on how likely they think it is he'll do well here. If they think it's very likely, they offer a shit ton. The higher the risk in him bombing, the lower the offer. There are multiple things that could increase that risk including but not limited to age, attitude and how they feel about MM. Without knowing what they offered if anything we can't accurately assess how they feel about that risk.

Edited by reo

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

It's very possible and likely always was. No one is giving into his contract demands and the Steelers aren't going to release him. 

Andrew Brandt said from the start he believed Brown would remain with the Steelers. 

I'd call him in and say we tried to trade you and no one will do it, play or sit out, it's totally up to you. If you don't play we're coming after your signing bonus 

It’s clear AB and Rosenhaus orchestrated this to get a new contract.  The old TO playbook

If AB is angling for a new contract, he's overplayed his hand a bit.   

I'm sure he thinks he has all the leverage....but the fact is, he's contractually bound to the Steelers for the last two years of a four-year extension, which included a $19M signing bonus.     If they decide not to trade him and he chooses to retire or simply doesn't show up, they have every right to recover half of that signing bonus.....which would be $9.5M. 

This would really put AB in a bad spot:  of that $19M signing bonus,  he probably only pocketed maybe $11-12M after taxes....and after two years, it's probably safe to assume some of that money is already spent.   He'd have to pay back most of his entire signing bonus just to buy out the last two years....and he might not be in a position to do that.

30 minutes ago, nine said:

If AB is angling for a new contract, he's overplayed his hand a bit.   

I'm sure he thinks he has all the leverage....but the fact is, he's contractually bound to the Steelers for the last two years of a four-year extension, which included a $19M signing bonus.     If they decide not to trade him and he chooses to retire or simply doesn't show up, they have every right to recover half of that signing bonus.....which would be $9.5M. 

This would really put AB in a bad spot:  of that $19M signing bonus,  he probably only pocketed maybe $11-12M after taxes....and after two years, it's probably safe to assume some of that money is already spent.   He'd have to pay back most of his entire signing bonus just to buy out the last two years....and he might not be in a position to do that.

If?  It’s absolutely clear he wants a new contract based on what teams interested are saying to reputable NFL reporters.

He wants to dictate where he goes and on what terms like he’s a free agent.  

It would serve him and Rosenhaus right to get stuck in Pittsburgh on his current deal.

There's absolutely no question that AB wants a new contract.     Who wouldn't want a free $15-20M bonus in their pocket?   

The only question is whether he has a legitimate beef with the organization or if his tantrum and the ensuing soap opera were all just a ploy to get them to re-work his deal.

It's probably a bit of both.    I'm sure he would have found a way to get over his hurt feelings if the Steelers had been willing to give him another extension....but they refused,  so he chose to burn that bridge to the ground.

I imagine the Steelers will eventually find a trade partner sometime before the draft....but it will be a lot more interesting and entertaining if they don't.