Titans WRs: What happened to Chris Sanders?

Btowner

14 hours ago, kgsTitan said:

Yes, I was at that Jacksonville game. That was just a bizarre time to be a fan.

I was there too. Terrible seats behind the endzone in the upper deck of the Astrodome and this annoying/loud female Jags fan was nearby.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

we had josh evans come to my school and speak about his life and drug use and cleaning it up to be an NFL'r... then he got his 3rd failed Drug test suspension from the league like the next week. 

Board hands if I remember correctly. 

He wasn't a good route runner at all, a problem with a lot of the team's receivers back then. 

I remember in McNair's first start against the Jets in 1995 they mostly went with ultra-conservative 1-WR/2-TE/2-back sets.

I think Haywood started, but they also used Sanders in a lot of the 1-WR sets too. Good old boring Fisherball at its best (or worst).

Edited by Oiler FANatic

22 hours ago, Yoshimitsu said:

The biggest “What if?” WR we had, IMO, was Tyrone Calico.  He has made some huge strides from year one to two, but had his knees blown up by (was it?) Roy Williams via horsecoller tackle.  His career was ended via that tackle and he had been almost forgotten as being one of the players that caused the horsecoller tackle to become a flaggable offense.  I remember being at a preseason game and early on he was targeted in the endzone, and Calico made this super athletic catch over the CB while being able to drag his toes to stay in bounds.  

Once his career was in the can, the only other story I remember of him was when he banged that girl in the back of his car and was caught lol.  

He was down to working as a line cook  at a grille type bistro a couple of years ago last I heard.

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Yes, this blown game and the Seahawks game with the blocked FG as time expired comes to mind

Speaking of the 96 game against Seattle, I always wondered if things would be different (if they'd have worked something out with the city) if they'd just won that game and another one of the many games they blew that year (I believe they blew double digit leads at home to both the Chiefs and Dolphins and they should have beaten the 49ers at home that year too), got into the playoffs and did damage.  If you remember the Jaguars went to the championship game at 9-7.  Had the Oilers gotten in at 10-6 maybe they'd have done the same thing?

I don't know, maybe it didn't matter what the Oilers did that year and they were leaving regardless. 

8 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

I remember in McNair's first start against the Jets in 1995 they mostly went with ultra-conservative 1-WR/2-TE/2-back sets.

I think Haywood started, but they also used Sanders in a lot of the 1-WR sets too. Good old boring Fisherball at its best (or worst).

great start to an era, was there to see McNair in his first game.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, titanruss said:

Destroyed his knees. Still if some straight line speed but couldn’t cut to get open, was weak, and couldn’t high point all that well. 

This makes sense.  He was known as "Tippy Toes", as I recall, because he ran and walked on his toes, instead of landing on his heels.   I discussed this (land on toes when running/jogging, not Chris Sanders) with an orthopedic surgeon.  He said it would lead to knee problems because by landing on one's toes, the knees and other joints are taking most of the force.  When you land on you heels, your fibula and tibia take most of the force, as they should, instead. 

Edited by 9 Nines

On 2/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, smokeater said:

Board hands if I remember correctly. 

Yep. Great speed but average hands. Good guy though. I met him a couple of times through the non-profit my ex-wife use to work for, Healthcare for the homeless. He ran in a couple of fundraising marathons that I did the photography for.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:26 AM, titanruss said:

we had josh evans come to my school and speak about his life and drug use and cleaning it up to be an NFL'r... then he got his 3rd failed Drug test suspension from the league like the next week. 

Big Josh like his weed. He posted on one of the old Titans websites I used when he got suspended the 2nd or 3rd time. I can't remember if it was the old NFL.com message board or one of the others.   

On 2/27/2019 at 1:26 AM, Yoshimitsu said:

The biggest “What if?” WR we had, IMO, was Tyrone Calico.  He has made some huge strides from year one to two, but had his knees blown up by (was it?) Roy Williams via horsecoller tackle.  His career was ended via that tackle and he had been almost forgotten as being one of the players that caused the horsecoller tackle to become a flaggable offense.  I remember being at a preseason game and early on he was targeted in the endzone, and Calico made this super athletic catch over the CB while being able to drag his toes to stay in bounds.  

Once his career was in the can, the only other story I remember of him was when he banged that girl in the back of his car and was caught lol.  

Yep, it was a blatant horsecollar too and pretty much ruined his career. The replay was tough to watch. He was never the same. Huge potential, but just another guy in the long long list of Titans WR busts.