Preds trade Hartman/Fiala for Granlund/ Simmonds

freakingeek

On paper this looks to be an immediate upgrade. Our power play sux and Mikael Granlund was leading the Wild in PP goals and Simmonds is a physical net front presence and scorer. Fiala had tremendous potential that he never lived up to and constantly needed motivating and Hartman consistently underperformed from a scoring perspective. The Preds didn't have trade away Tolvanen or any other young prospect or high draft picks to make these trades. This Preds team is frustratingly inconsistent and regularly plays down to the competition, then wins when they have to. We're in 1st place in the Central division but if they don't start getting some scoring from the 2nd and 3rd lines, we won't get past Winnipeg in the playoffs. Time is running out to start playing with a sense of urgency every night. They definitely have the talent. Now let's see the effort.

4 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

On paper this looks to be an immediate upgrade. Our power play sux and Mikael Granlund was leading the Wild in PP goals and Simmonds is a physical net front presence and scorer. Fiala had tremendous potential that he never lived up to and constantly needed motivating and Hartman consistently underperformed from a scoring perspective. The Preds didn't have trade away Tolvanen or any other young prospect or high draft picks to make these trades. This Preds team is frustratingly inconsistent and regularly plays down to the competition, then wins when they have to. We're in 1st place in the Central division but if they don't start getting some scoring from the 2nd and 3rd lines, we won't get past Winnipeg in the playoffs. Time is running out to start playing with a sense of urgency every night. They definitely have the talent. Now let's see the effort.

I agree with this assessment and see these trades as huge wins for the Predators, especially the Granlund trade. I can't really see logical support for that move on Minnesota's end, Granlund is such a big upgrade on Fiala who was becoming kind of a problem child anyways. Simmonds is definitely not playing his best hockey, but he could spark the power play and we weren't really relying on or getting a lot out of Hartman. I wanted Stone, but am glad we didn't over pay for him. 

I wanted Stone too but so did several other teams which drives the price up. I definitely agree about the Granlund trade. He’s young and would be a great addition to sign long term. Hopefully Simmonds will play motivated and playing for his next contract. Right now it’s looking like Boyle was an A-1 pickup. Had the game winner last night.

It comes off as really fucked up that a guy was traded while his fiancee is in labor. But it's like what can you do? How can you actually be mad about it? Haha

I watched quite a bit of Simmonds throughout his career. I haven't watched as much of the Preds as I would have liked but I have no doubt the move will rejuvenate Simmonds and his presence will be felt by Nashville. 

On 2/27/2019 at 4:44 PM, JakePA_Titan said:

It comes off as really fucked up that a guy was traded while his fiancee is in labor. But it's like what can you do? How can you actually be mad about it? Haha

I watched quite a bit of Simmonds throughout his career. I haven't watched as much of the Preds as I would have liked but I have no doubt the move will rejuvenate Simmonds and his presence will be felt by Nashville. 

We need some physical netfront play and I think he can provide that. Hopefully he's playing for a contract next year with someone, because doubtful it will be with the Preds. Boyle is another story and Granlund should get signed long term.

Archived