tgo

Guard Situation

tgo   

Assuming Spain departs in free agency, we have a massive hole at left guard. 

I could be wrong on this in the end- but per current reports it sounds like Kelechi Osemele and Ron Leary are both likely to return to their teams this year. 

So that leaves the top guards as Saffold and Foster. 

Roethlisberger has lobbied the Steelers to keep Foster, and he wants to return, so I bet that ends up happening. Saffold will want top guard money, which I don't see us dishing out at this point. 

I think the Vikings will pursue Carpenter heavily and I think the Seahawks will retain Sweezy. Shawn Lauvao is constantly injured. Andy Levitre is often injured as well, and I don't think Robinson will go after an old injured guy that he traded away. 

The best options at guard that fit the zone scheme and make sense beyond those guys, to me are: 

Jamon Brown (more of a RG, has only played there in the NFL, Titans tried to claim him in-season)

Zane Beadles (Keith Carter connection)

Mike Person (Keith Carter connection)

Jeff Allen (Vrabel connection)

There are several other guys that are versatile zone players, but they are replacement level players in my book (Garland, Bergstrom, Kush, Devey, Compton, Easton, etc). 

Mike Iupati and A.J. Cann should both be available but both are power scheme players and Cann is a right guard only. John Miller from Buffalo is a huge zone guy but is mainly a right guard as well. 

So I think it's quite likely that we downgrade on Spain if we don't retain him. And furthermore, if we did sign one of these guys, it would be a stop gap solution - so it makes a lot of sense to draft an interior linemen fairly early this year with Jones having 1 year left and Spain's deal expiring, and with Kline being a middling player who can easily be cut next offseason. 

Edited by tgo

Soxcat   

Watching some highlights of last year it sure seemed like anytime we ran the ball over left OG with Spain and Lewan we had a better chance of having success.  At times Spain looked like a road grader. 

tgo   
20 minutes ago, MemphisTitan said:

Kline is the biggest problem. I don’t understand why people are so hard on Spain but ignore how terrible Kline is. Jones is also horrible 

Kline most likely isn't going anywhere this year given what Robinson has said about him recently and the structure of his contract. 

Vrabel and Robinson also have a lengthy history and very good relationship with Jones. I doubt he'll be released before his contract expires next offseason. 

We must keep Spain! The Preds playoffs won't be the same if I can't see him standing shirtless, pounding cheap beer.  His and Lewan's presence at games signify the unofficial start of Smashville playoffs. Viewing that giant ebony gentleman pour a surplus of shitty beer into his mouth, watching it cascade down his fluffy bosom, and seeing it race towards the pitch-dark void that is his innie belly button is oddly comforting...

abc2330   

I wonder about the trade value of Kelly.  He was very good last year.  Do you take a 4th for him?  A backup is valuable, but so is a pick in a deep draft class.

Just now, abc2330 said:

I wonder about the trade value of Kelly.  He was very good last year.  Do you take a 4th for him?  A backup is valuable, but so is a pick in a deep draft class.

I think he is worth way more than a 4th. He is a borderline starting OT.

Kyle021   
1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Maybe Ben Jones will be moved to LG?

My thoughts. I think we go after Paradis/Morse and move Jones to LG and retain Pamphile and draft someone in round 3-4