PK: Titans Should Spend Big on Backup QB

Jonboy

16 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Did people really expect any backup to win 3/3 for us?  We won a couple of games with Gabbert.  If you expected Taylor, Keenum, etc. to go toe to toe with Luck given our injuries on both sides of the ball, you have lost your Damn mind.

It’s not about expecting backup QB to carry the offense and win games;  you just need a functional QB who can run the offense and avoid making the critical mistakes that lose games.  

In 2017, Cassell no longer qualified as “functional”.  His arm had deteriorated to the point where he couldn’t throw it 5-10 yards with any manner of consistency. 

In 2018, Gabbert was functional and even good when asked to make only 15-20 throws...but that was his ceiling.  When asked to do more, the results were disastrous.

In the season finale and the season on the line, the Titans trailed 24-17 in Q4 and were driving for a potential game-tying touchdown until Gabbert’s horrible INT ended the team’s hopes.  

It’s not about asking a backup to carry the team and put up dominant performances. They just need an “okay” QB...someone who will function within the offense, make a play here and there, and avoid critical mistakes so the defense and running game have a chance to win it.  

“Okay” works fine for a backup QB.   “Sucks” doesn’t. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

?    

It makes sense because mariota is injury prone and another bad year and the Titans won’t keep him and their QB balance sheet will be free in 2020

5th year is a no brainer.  He either proves worthy of an extension, or we will get a high comp pick the following year.  Better than getting into a Bortles/Osweiller contract situation.  

Posted Images

On 2/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Tomachek said:

I'd rather draft a guy than spend big on a back-up.  Worst case is Mariota gets hurt again, rookie QB tanks and we get an early pick in 2020 to draft the QB of the future.

I have my eyes of Stidham and Rypien

With Mariotas injury history, we don't need a rookie trainee back up QB. We need someone capable of taking over and winning games. 

7 hours ago, freakingeek said:

With Mariotas injury history, we don't need a rookie trainee back up QB. We need someone capable of taking over and winning games. 

Why? If Mariota gets hurt again, he's likely done. So we pay overpay for a back-up that maybe wins us a game or two and keeps us out of position to draft a new Quarterback.

The more I think about this, with the current makeup of the roster, Gabbert is fine.  Upgrade if possible but only if you can take care of some of the other priorities and they project having enough money to spend on a luxury like backup QB. 

8 hours ago, Tomachek said:

Why? If Mariota gets hurt again, he's likely done. So we pay overpay for a back-up that maybe wins us a game or two and keeps us out of position to draft a new Quarterback.

What if he gets hurt 3 games in? There's no reason not to believe we won't be in playoff contention next year. Mariota gets hurt and we don't have a back up that can step in, be competitve and win, our season is over. I've never been in the crowd that wants to tank for future draft status.

Edited by freakingeek

7 hours ago, Justafan said:

The more I think about this, with the current makeup of the roster, Gabbert is fine.  Upgrade if possible but only if you can take care of some of the other priorities and they project having enough money to spend on a luxury like backup QB. 

The Eagles wouldn't have a SB ring if they didn't have Foles last year. On the other hand I dn't believe in sacrificing the future to have two starting caliber QBs on the same roster. Mariota's injury history is why I say we need someone better than Gabbert on the bench.

3 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Tyrod Taylor was paid $15 mil a year with the Browns but that was because they anticipated him being the starter when he got there.  What if we could sign him to a deal half of that to be Mariota's back up?  I'd do it in a second if we can sign him for two years.  At worst he stays and backs up Mariota as Mariota finally has a great year and signs a long term contract.  Or he becomes the starter when Mariota isn't retained while we start looking for the long term replacement.  Either way he is a guy we can feel some level of confidence in if Mariota goes down.

There's no way they can afford to pay a backup QB 7-8 mil. 

You could sign Za'Darius Smith or Golden Tate for close (ish) to that. 

Just now, Soxcat said:

How I really feel is I wish we could move on from Mariota now and draft Kyle Murray.

Unfortunately that isn't happening.

I just think basically, you may be better off losing more games if Mariota goes down for any stretch of time because at that point it will be time to move on most likely. 

Having said that, I could see them switching out Gabbert for a 3-4M a year guy (Fitz made 3.5M last year, by comparison). 

I just don't really get the benefit of the 5th yr option with a guy like Mariota.

If you think he is your guy...which you should know by now then extend him now to a deal that would be much better for the team as opposed to waiting till he's nearing FA after possibly a good year uping his value.

If you don't think he is the guy than cut him with no loss and go get a guy like Keenum for 3 yrs for maybe a little more than what you are paying Mariota for 1 year.

I feel like if you gonna pay 21 mill to Marcus this year....the only reason you do that is because you think he is the future of this franchise and that's not a bad $$ to pay your franchise QB for a year.  If that 's the case then just extend him now...go big or go home!

9 hours ago, bizzyeddie said:

I feel like if you gonna pay 21 mill to Marcus this year....the only reason you do that is because you think he is the future of this franchise and that's not a bad $$ to pay your franchise QB for a year.  If that 's the case then just extend him now...go big or go home!

Pay him 21 mill and give him one last chance. You still have to have a starting QB and who would you sign if you cut MM loose?