Amy Klobuchar

freakingeek

8 hours ago, reo said:

She's running to the center bc Republicans are so far successfully painting others as far left. I'm leery of her but I'll keep an open mind.

Still like Harris the most so far and I'll vote in the primaries but in the end I'll support anyone against Trump. 

There's a long way to go and so much more information to be processed. I won't make my mind up until after the primary.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like her. As for her temperament, they wouldn't be saying any of this if she were male. As a woman, I call hogwash!

Who farted?   Nevermind, that's just Jake entering the thread

I have to say, it's very early and a long campaign to go, but from what I've heard and read about her, if I had to vote today, she would my choice. She has the temperment for the job. She's focused, d

What some call center/moderate, I call realistic.

Now, you don't want another Obama. Obama always took the progressive option totally off the table.

But I don't see Klobachar as doing that. We are not going to get free 4 year college for all, and I'm not even sure it's good policy, even if we could afford it. She's for the public option, but not Medicare for all. The public option is what should have been in Obamacare. And if it works and is efficient, it will lead to medicare for all anyway, or something very much like it. There are alot of things we can do environmentally without running on the full Green New Deal. Forget policy, it was just good politics to distance herself from the Green New Deal because the rollout was a disaster.

1 hour ago, Legaltitan said:

Now, you don't want another Obama. Obama always took the progressive option totally off the table.

But I don't see Klobachar as doing that. We are not going to get free 4 year college for all, and I'm not even sure it's good policy, even if we could afford it. She's for the public option, but not Medicare for all. The public option is what should have been in Obamacare. And if it works and is efficient, it will lead to medicare for all anyway, or something very much like it. There are alot of things we can do environmentally without running on the full Green New Deal. Forget policy, it was just good politics to distance herself from the Green New Deal because the rollout was a disaster.

Its early but she's the strongest candidate of the group in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

I particularly liked that she pushed 2 year colleges and trade schools, something that has been needed for awhile. I’m liking Klobuchar more and more. 

4 hours ago, oldschool said:

Its early but she's the strongest candidate of the group in my opinion. 

That’s ridiculous. 

She’s polling at less than 2%. 

She won’t even sniff winning the primary. 

Anyway, I won’t vote for her - period. There is zero reason to. She has no advantages whatsoever over candidates like Biden or O’Rourke or Booker who are more moderate than the Sanders/Warren types. 

But you guys knock yourself out. 

Edited by tgo

5 hours ago, tgo said:

That’s ridiculous. 

Anyway, I won’t vote for her - period. There is zero reason to. She has no advantages whatsoever over candidates like Biden or O’Rourke or Booker who are more moderate than the Sanders/Warren types. 

She has midwest appeal which is huge. Polling numbers at this point dont mean a thing.

9 hours ago, tgo said:

That’s ridiculous. 

whoah there why the hostility?

I absolutely think she brings something unique to the table that other candidates don't. She doesn't have the gaffes or age or grabbiness of Biden, she has a lot more experience than O'Rourke, who I really like but who hasn't even announced yet, and she is a totally different candidate than Booker. Sorry, have to really disagree with you. In a crowded field she has created a clear lane for herself. We'll see where it goes.

And it is absolutely foolhardy at this point to say no one will sniff at winning the primary. It is way to early, the field much to crowded, and we only have to look at recent history to know that isn't true. Bill Clinton had no chance. Obama had no chance. Trump had no chance. 

38 minutes ago, ctm said:

She also appears to be targeting rural voters.  That gives her a pathway to perform well in Iowa where she will need to do very well.  It's probably her only shot.

She absolutely needs to perform well in Iowa, and most likely needs to win Iowa. But in a crowded field I would argue there is still a path even with a strong second place in Iowa. 

But yeah, the narrative will be if she can't win Iowa, then where can she win, so for all practical purposes she probably has to win there. 

6 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

whoah there why the hostility?

I absolutely think she brings something unique to the table that other candidates don't. She doesn't have the gaffes or age or grabbiness of Biden, she has a lot more experience than O'Rourke, who I really like but who hasn't even announced yet, and she is a totally different candidate than Booker. Sorry, have to really disagree with you. In a crowded field she has created a clear lane for herself. We'll see where it goes.

And it is absolutely foolhardy at this point to say no one will sniff at winning the primary. It is way to early, the field much to crowded, and we only have to look at recent history to know that isn't true. Bill Clinton had no chance. Obama had no chance. Trump had no chance. 

Just want to respond to one aspect of your post here - Obama had a ton of early support and people were eyeing him for president long before he announced. I supported him immediately once we entered the race. 

Anyway, I guess we'll see if Klobuchar wins the primary lol. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Obama had a ton of early support and people were eyeing him for president long before he announced. I supported him immediately once we entered the race. 

Sure he did, and I was the same way.  But he wasn't supposed to win. If you had asked a lot of people they would have had him as having the third best chance, after Hillary and John Edwards. Certainly most assumed Hillary would win. He's not a perfect parallel, but nothing in politics ever is.

The reason why it is silly to handicap it this early is because there is no clear frontrunner, and certainly no establishment favorite. The two polling the highest, which I assume is Biden and Bernie, also have the most name recognition. But if you think a dude pushing 80 is going to run away with the nomination, I think that's foolhardy.

With Nate Silver and with oddsmakers, Trump's chances at this time point were a rounding error.

I would definitely put Klobuchar's odds higher than Booker, and probably Warren, too. I think she is bumping up against the top tier just in terms of raw odds.

As far as quality of candidate, I believe she is one of the top. Just trying to look at it objectively. She has a nice speaking style, she is intelligent without sounding elitist, she has a command of the issues, she has midwestern charm, a bit of an it factor, and she is polished.

Setting aside policy, just looking at what she brings to the table as a candidate for office, she has the goods. I would rank her and Kamala as the top in this regard of those who have announced. Beto would be similar if/when he announces. Of course Biden is in this top group as well, and I think you almost have to put Bernie in there.

So of those we have talked about who have a chance and a realistic path, I would say it's: Biden, Bernie, Harris, Klobachar and Beto. In no particular order. I think it will be tough for anyone outside that group, but stranger things have happened. We haven't even gotten to scandal season. And I really want to see Bullock catch a little fire and get in the conversation.

3 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

I would definitely put Klobuchar's odds higher than Booker, and probably Warren, too. I think she is bumping up against the top tier just in terms of raw odds.

As far as quality of candidate, I believe she is one of the top. Just trying to look at it objectively. She has a nice speaking style, she is intelligent without sounding elitist, she has a command of the issues, she has midwestern charm, a bit of an it factor, and she is polished.

Setting aside policy, just looking at what she brings to the table as a candidate for office, she has the goods. I would rank her and Kamala as the top in this regard of those who have announced. Beto would be similar if/when he announces. Of course Biden is in this top group as well, and I think you almost have to put Bernie in there.

So of those we have talked about who have a chance and a realistic path, I would say it's: Biden, Bernie, Harris, Klobachar and Beto. In no particular order. I think it will be tough for anyone outside that group, but stranger things have happened. We haven't even gotten to scandal season. And I really want to see Bullock catch a little fire and get in the conversation.

Well said. I like Booker's tenacity but if you talk to people from Jersey, he had a lot of failures as a local politician. This idea he's untouchable is foolishness. I think Harris is a better candidate at this point and I'd put her and Klobuchar at the top.

@tgo, are you still hung up on the staff abuse story that cleary went nowhere? There is a reason the major outlets didn't run it.