What is your favorite international food?

heyitsmeallen

You hit me with the Pho.  I love Vietnamese.  There's a place in West Nashville called Kien Giang that has authentic everything.  It's freaking special.  My wife likes it so well, she learned to make Pho.  Takes damn near two days to do it right.  Gotta bake and boil beef bones for crazy amounts of time.   So worth it.

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

You hit me with the Pho.  I love Vietnamese.  There's a place in West Nashville called Kien Giang that has authentic everything.  It's freaking special.  My wife likes it so well, she learned to make Pho.  Takes damn near two days to do it right.  Gotta bake and boil beef bones for crazy amounts of time.   So worth it.

Pho is the shit. It’s crazy to me the prep it takes but I love it. I’ve tried a bunch of different types. 

2 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Just got back from 2 weeks in Vietnam. Pho is great. Also their Banh Mi is a pretty incredible sandwich when done well. 

I love banh mi too! Those sandwiches are so good. They seem lighter on the stomach than American sandwiches. I think it’s the roll 

lechon kawali is pretty dank too. they slow boil and then fry pork belly to perfection. in the Philippines they just eat the meat and dip it in this hot vinegar citrus dip. tasty as hell. 

theres a spanish and portugese version of lechon as well (i think it was more closely related to rotisserie pork)... but those are a little better on sandwiches from what i've tried. 

• 2 weeks later...

Italian, German, French.  Though there are a few really good pie shops in London Bridge Station.  Or were, haven't been there in quite some time.  But one in particular had awesome mashed peas.  And their pies were even better.

Italian, German, French.  Though there are a few really good pie shops in London Bridge Station.  Or were, haven't been there in quite some time.  But one in particular had awesome mashed peas.  And their pies were even better.

I kid, I kid...to a certain extent.  Obviously in NYC there's never going to be a shortage of Italian restaurants of some form or other (pizza to modern gustatorial splendor), French has its enclaves, but German food is really difficult to find, and one of my favorites.

Now, to answer the question in true form...

Greek/Middle Eastern/Turkish/Israeli

Thai

Mexican

You guys into Asian foods should check out these sites and visit Queens...

http://chopsticksandmarrow.com/

There's also a guy named Jeff Orlick that used to do culinary tours of Queens, but it seems he's defunct...

https://newyork.seriouseats.com/2012/04/jeff-orlick-midnight-tour-food-crawl-queens-roosevelt-avenue-street-food-elmhurst-corona-slideshow.html

https://www.bing.com/search?q=jeff+orlick+queens&qs=n&form=QBLH&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=jeff+orlick+queen&sc=1-17&sk=&cvid=FD0C39815E2241779E407C4FC80AE693

If you ever come to Queens for this purpose, hit up Joe.  He's the real deal.

15 hours ago, OzTitan said:

Jerk chicken.

Solid choice!  There's nothing like stopping by a falling down bar in Jamaica and having some Jerk that was cooked on an old piece of roofing tin suspended over a fire from 3 different kinds and sizes of chain hung by a frame made of an old rusty swing set!  Scotch Bonnet peppers for the win!

Archived