Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Denali

Does 0.9999... equal 1?

Recommended Posts

klaatu-   

I'm not a mathematician but for all intents and purposes in our dimension it is true. People have been arguing about this on the internet since its inception.

 

x= 0.999...

10x = 9.999...

10x = 9 + 0.999...

10x = 9 + x

9x = 9

x = 1

 

also

 

1/9 = 0.111...

2/9 = 0.222...

3/9 = 0.333...

4/9 = 0.444...

5/9 = 0.555...

6/9 = 0.666...

7/9 = 0.777...

8/9 = 0.888...

9/9 = 0.999... = 1 

 

1 minus 0.999... = 0.000... An infinite string of zeros

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by klaatu-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, klaatu- said:

I'm not a mathematician but for all intents and purposes in our dimension it is true. People have been arguing about this on the internet since its inception.

 

x= 0.999...

x^∞ < 1^∞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klaatu-   
1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

x^∞ < 1^∞

 isn't a real number. The difference between .999... and 1 is infinitesimal, so small it can't be measured even at the subatomic level. If the difference can't be measured then there is no difference. One apple minus an atom is still one apple. 

 

 

Edited by klaatu-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it depends how far you go. theres an order of magnitude where it ceases to matter if numbers we are calculating end at 1 or .9999....999. 

 

small or big enough theres no need to calculate further once you reach the extents of the universe or down to the smallest particle movement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reo   
7 hours ago, klaatu- said:

 

x= 0.999...

10x = 9.999...

10x = 9 + 0.999...

10x = 9 + x

9x = 9

x = 1

 

Some problems with that mathematically but alright. 

 

7 hours ago, klaatu- said:

9/9 = 0.999... = 1 

That's a no.

 

9/9 != .999

 

That's not true ever.

 

9/9 = 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   

10x = 9.999...

10x = 9 + 0.999...

10x = 9 + x

9x = 9

x = 1

 

I this new math or new algebra?  This us not a valid equation at all. 

 

Now here is a question.  Is .11% a significant %?  Because that is how much Trump wants to spend on a wall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, klaatu- said:

 isn't a real number. The difference between .999... and 1 is infinitesimal, so small it can't be measured even at the subatomic level. If the difference can't be measured then there is no difference. One apple minus an atom is still one apple. 

 

 

And yet you could graph x^y and see it visually.

 

If x=1 it would be flat and the value always equal 1.

 

If x=.9999.... then the value would continue approach 0 the higher y gets.

 

Thus 1 > .99999999...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klaatu-   
7 hours ago, Starkiller said:

And yet you could graph x^y and see it visually.

 

If x=1 it would be flat and the value always equal 1.

 

If x=.9999.... then the value would continue approach 0 the higher y gets.

 

Thus 1 > .99999999...

 

That makes sense. The world I grewed up in is gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...