Sign in to follow this  
Btowner

Any Bob Marley fans?

Btowner   

This week would have been Bob Marley's 74th birthday. I've spent the last couple of days listening to his various albums and it's amazing how in today's political environment, the lyrics are still relevant. Everyone likes the catchy One Love, but some snippets of his more political songs.

Revolution

It takes a revolution (revolution) to make a solution
(Doo-doo-doo-doo)
Too much confusion (aaa-aaah), so much frustration, eh!
I don't want to live in the park (live in the park)
Can't trust no shadows after dark (shadows after dark), yeah-eh!
So, my friend, I wish that you could see
Like a bird in the tree, the prisoners must be free, yeah! (Free)

Never make a politician grant you a favor
(Doo-doo-doo-doo)
They will always want to control you forever, eh!
(Forever, forever)

Top Ranking

They don't want to see us unite
All they want us to do is keep on fussing and fighting
They don't want to see us live together
All they want us to do is keep on killing one another

War

Until the philosophy
Which hold one race superior and another
Inferior
Is finally
And permanently
Discredited
And abandoned
Everywhere is war
Me say war

That until there no longer
First class and second class citizens of any nation
Until the color of a man's skin
Is of no more significance than the color of his eyes
Me say war

Rolltide   

I listened to Reggae almost exclusively for a few years in the 90s and smoked a lot of weed of course. Peter Tosh was my favorite but I had 8 Marley albums plus the 2 Wailer albums "Catch a fire" and "Burnin". 

Best Reggae album ever in my opinion is "2 sevens clash" by Culture from 1977. On July 7th 1977 the entire country practically closed down because they thought something horrible was going to happen. 

Not a big fan of Bob's kids. Ziggy and the melody makers are ok. 

Favorite Bob albums Uprising-Exodus-Survival-Natty dread. Confrontation a collection of unreleased or local releases came out posthumously in 83 is fantastic. 

Babylon by bus is the 2nd best reggae live album. Burning spear live in Paris is the best. 

Edited by Rolltide

Btowner   
1 minute ago, Rolltide said:

I listened to Reggae almost exclusively for a few years in the 90s and smoked a lot of weed of course. Peter Tosh was my favorite but I had 8 Marley albums plus the 2 Wailer albums "Catch a fire" and "Burnin". 

Best Reggae album ever in my opinion is "2 sevens clash" by Culture from 1977. On July 7th 1977 the entire country practically closed down because they thought something horrible was going to happen. 

Not a big fan of Bob's kids. Ziggy and the melody makers are ok. 

Favorite Bob albums Uprising-Exodus-Survival-Natty dread. Confrontation a collection of unreleased or local releases came out posthumously in 83 is fantastic. 

Babylon by bus is the 2nd best reggae live album. Burning spear live in Paris is the best. 

The Peter Tosh Legalize It album was great!  Besides Stephen Marley, who sounds very much like Bob, I'm not a fan of the kids. Too much of that dance hall reggae style. 

Rolltide   

First reggae album I bought was Peter Tosh "Wanted dead or alive". I listened to that over and over. Same with "Mama Africa" and 'Legalize it". His worst album was his last, "No nuclear war" and it was unfortunate he died when he did. Best voice in reggae music in my opinion. The man was a bit of a prick but he could write a song and sing it. His version of Chuck Berry's Johnnie B Goode(From Mama Africa) was excellent. 

Rolltide   

3 teenage friends living in the slum of Trench town in Kingston Jamaica formed a vocal group called the Wailers that would be the top group on the island. Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, Bunny Livingston. 

Chris Blackwell of Island records a native of Jamaica believed that if you took that vocal and song writing talent, added a harder rock edge to it you would have a sound that would be successful in the UK and USA. He was right. He gave those 3 guys $8000 to produce an album and people thought he was out of his mind. The album would be called "Catch a fire". The signature chicken scratch rhythm guitar that Bob plays here was popularized by a guy named Lee Perry. With the excellent Barrett brothers on bottom they filled out the sound in the studio. The haunting guitar solo for Concrete jungle was played by a country sessions guy. 

No band, no band harmonized better than these 3 guys. 

Both Catch a fire and the next album Burnin would be very successful. "Stir it up" would be a hit for Johnny Nash and "I shot the sheriff" would be a huge hit for Eric Clapton. Chris Blackwell had big plans with world tours but other 2 guys balked so a he formed the band around Bob, called them Bob Marley and the Wailers and they became an international sensation. 

Rolltide   

No woman no cry was a song about Bob's experience of moving from the country to Kingston and trying to survive in Trench town. A guy who helped him out was called Vincent Ford who had card games until late in the night and would let bob sleep on the card table after everybody dispersed. he helped Bob and others with simple food like cornmeal porridge which he mentions in the song. 

Bob wrote the song but gave the songwriting credit to Vincent Ford.  

Edited by Rolltide

Rolltide   
13 hours ago, titanruss said:

@Rolltide has such an identity crisis. no wonder he's into dudes with fake tits. makes perfect sense in that confused mind of his. 

What the fuck are you talking about?

Moron!