cenj

Dilfer Interview on Midday 180

13 hours ago, big2033 said:

No you're misinterpreting.

Alex Smith can go to pro bowls. He's accurate. That doesn't mean shit.

What's wrong with him he's identified as pretty much un-fixable that will keep him from being a 'star' QB. We have at best Andy Dalton or at average Ryan Tannehill. Which I'm sure Dilfer will compliment as well but that's not what the No. 2 overall pick is for.

When was Alex Smith ever clutch? Serious question. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

11 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I thought what Dilfer said made sense and understood perfectly what he meant. Mariota isn't a good passer, has poor mechanics and can't read defenses from sideline to sideline and react. He even said there aren't many QBs who can do that well. It's obvious this stuff is closer to correct than not. 

However, Dilfer believes if a coach can implement a scheme that involved more running, play action a simple passing game you can do well. Agreed. 

I agree with one big caveat, I don't believe Mariota can stay healthy being used like this. He won't protect himself and when the team falls behind he gets sacked way too much. Even if MM put together a solid 2019 and stayed healthy what are the odds he could do it year after year? He hasn't done it yet, hasn't came close. 

Dilfer also didn't really address the fact a decision has to be made on his contract. 

What we know, which some people won't admit is the idea he can be some type of Aaron Rodgers passer or run a NE type spread the field passing offense is a total pipe dream. He can't do that and that's what he was drafted #2 to do. 

It's up to Vrabel to figure out how to win with him and it's on Robinson to have a capable back-up QB. If Gabbert is kept and flops again that's on Robinson. 

You don’t find it a bit strange his best games of the year were in the spread? 

OILERMAN   
11 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

You don’t find it a bit strange his best games of the year were in the spread? 

This argument is over. 

Mariota has played better under center and with a huddle this year and last, his best stretch was the 8 games in 2016 using playaction and from power sets. Henry's numbers from under center with heavy sets bury his other(shotgun) numbers. 

Arthur Smith is talking about 2 and 3 TE sets, they are building the offense around Henry and the running game. 

Smith is the 3rd offensive coach in a row to believe this is how to handle Mariota and the offense. 

Forget about Mariota as a Heisman winning #2 draft pick running and gunning from spreads and no huddle.

He's a mobile care taker. 

OILERMAN   
1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Pretty strange the best games of his career came in the spread. 

Then you have to believe multiple coaches don't know what they are doing with MM

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Then you have to believe multiple coaches don't know what they are doing with MM

False. Whis left Mett out to dry. I walked out of the Giants game. Mularkey was a good coach who didn’t know how to be HC and institute an offense. His OC hadn’t called plays since Bo Jackson. Our best wins with Marcus came when he was in the spread, including with Mularkey. 

Nash   

Not to throw cold water on this fire, but I suspect Locke will be gone by pick #19, after that is there a legit franchise qb??.. not this year, but maybe 2020.. if we go 8-8 or 9-7 again, then we are caught in a bad place for getting a qb.. too good to be in the top 15 where the franchise qb's might be found...but not good enough to seriously make it to the SB..

abc2330   
45 minutes ago, Nash said:

Not to throw cold water on this fire, but I suspect Locke will be gone by pick #19, after that is there a legit franchise qb??.. not this year, but maybe 2020.. if we go 8-8 or 9-7 again, then we are caught in a bad place for getting a qb.. too good to be in the top 15 where the franchise qb's might be found...but not good enough to seriously make it to the SB..

He's got a much higher ceiling than   Mariota as a passer.  Definitely some Mahomes to his game, though he wasn't as productive in college so it's difficult to make that comparison, due to being in the SEC.  Like Mahomes, I definitely think he needs time to be polished before he begins adopting bad habits.  

japan   
16 hours ago, cenj said:

Good lord you're obnoxious.

I'm literally posting what Dilfer said because I listened to the interview. Nothing I said was my opinion. Nothing. I'm merely relaying information Trent Dilfer said. If you want to criticize him for saying he'll be misinterpreted, go ahead, but those are his words not mine.

I've defended Mariota and I'm the one who posted the goddamn criticism. 

Has big2033 always been this obnoxious?  I have associated him with the more knowledgable and even keeled tgo since the 2017 season, but he seems to fly off the handle now drilling the same pro-Mularky/Robiskie lines in almost every thread.

japan   
14 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I thought what Dilfer said made sense and understood perfectly what he meant. Mariota isn't a good passer, has poor mechanics and can't read defenses from sideline to sideline and react. He even said there aren't many QBs who can do that well. It's obvious this stuff is closer to correct than not. 

However, Dilfer believes if a coach can implement a scheme that involved more running, play action a simple passing game you can do well. Agreed. 

I agree with one big caveat, I don't believe Mariota can stay healthy being used like this. He won't protect himself and when the team falls behind he gets sacked way too much. Even if MM put together a solid 2019 and stayed healthy what are the odds he could do it year after year? He hasn't done it yet, hasn't came close. 

Dilfer also didn't really address the fact a decision has to be made on his contract. 

What we know, which some people won't admit is the idea he can be some type of Aaron Rodgers passer or run a NE type spread the field passing offense is a total pipe dream. He can't do that and that's what he was drafted #2 to do. 

It's up to Vrabel to figure out how to win with him and it's on Robinson to have a capable back-up QB. If Gabbert is kept and flops again that's on Robinson. 

He kind of does here...

big2033   
5 minutes ago, japan said:

Has big2033 always been this obnoxious?  I have associated him with the more knowledgable and even keeled tgo since the 2017 season, but he seems to fly off the handle now drilling the same pro-Mularky/Robiskie lines in almost every thread.

I'm not pro Mularkey. It only looks that way because unfortunately we have to do the same shit with Mariota instead of moving past it.

I'm tired of exotic smashmouth like the next person. But we're stuck.

big2033   
3 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

False. Whis left Mett out to dry. I walked out of the Giants game. Mularkey was a good coach who didn’t know how to be HC and institute an offense. His OC hadn’t called plays since Bo Jackson. Our best wins with Marcus came when he was in the spread, including with Mularkey. 

I think you need to re-evaluate what he did in these moments. Was he truly cycling through reads in the spread or was he simply making quick throws to his first read?

Most of the time he was able to work the spread in hurry up moments. Catching teams off guard. 

The question is does it work when teams can plan for it like a big part of our offense? 

This spread you keep going to was in moments, not in full games.

Edited by big2033