cenj

Dilfer Interview on Midday 180

big2033   
11 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

jUsT lOoK aT aLl ThIs ExPeRtIn'.

Trent Dilly Dilly says some things and all of the sudden chum is in the water. Mariota is a liability, yet Dilly Dilly is quoted as saying he'd have no reservation about going to battle with Marcus as his QB and thinking he'd be a pro bowl earnin mutha fucka. But that's just PR spin to placate the homers, right? He ain't that real nigga until he starts gettin on them mechanics.

AiN't ThAt RiGhT, eXpErTs?

WTF are you on?

13 minutes ago, big2033 said:

WTF are you on?

*Meth

*Crack

*Weed

*Heroin

*LSD

*PCP

*Psilocybin

*Mescaline

*Molly

Oh, and,...

*CBD oil for the pain.

Any other silly questions?

*Bongo prescribed it.

abc2330   
40 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

jUsT lOoK aT aLl ThIs ExPeRtIn'.

Trent Dilly Dilly says some things and all of the sudden chum is in the water. Mariota is a liability, yet Dilly Dilly is quoted as saying he'd have no reservation about going to battle with Marcus as his QB and thinking he'd be a pro bowl earnin mutha fucka. But that's just PR spin to placate the homers, right? He ain't that real nigga until he starts gettin on them mechanics.

AiN't ThAt RiGhT, eXpErTs?

And you don't see that as playing to the crowd?  Do you really see Mariota being productive enough to get in over Luck? Watson? Mayfield?  Not to mention the young QBs now and in the future with potential.  You'd have to make the same claim fora bunch of QBs who are underwhelming, because his stats are far from a legit pro bowl player.

OILERMAN   

I thought what Dilfer said made sense and understood perfectly what he meant. Mariota isn't a good passer, has poor mechanics and can't read defenses from sideline to sideline and react. He even said there aren't many QBs who can do that well. It's obvious this stuff is closer to correct than not. 

However, Dilfer believes if a coach can implement a scheme that involved more running, play action a simple passing game you can do well. Agreed. 

I agree with one big caveat, I don't believe Mariota can stay healthy being used like this. He won't protect himself and when the team falls behind he gets sacked way too much. Even if MM put together a solid 2019 and stayed healthy what are the odds he could do it year after year? He hasn't done it yet, hasn't came close. 

Dilfer also didn't really address the fact a decision has to be made on his contract. 

What we know, which some people won't admit is the idea he can be some type of Aaron Rodgers passer or run a NE type spread the field passing offense is a total pipe dream. He can't do that and that's what he was drafted #2 to do. 

It's up to Vrabel to figure out how to win with him and it's on Robinson to have a capable back-up QB. If Gabbert is kept and flops again that's on Robinson. 

Nash   

So the shot put motion we some times see is due to the arm lagging behind the core turn..MLF 's correction was to broaden his base during the throw...I guess we are all hoping that correction finally clicks this off-season...

3 hours ago, abc2330 said:

And you don't see that as playing to the crowd?  Do you really see Mariota being productive enough to get in over Luck? Watson? Mayfield?  Not to mention the young QBs now and in the future with potential.  You'd have to make the same claim fora bunch of QBs who are underwhelming, because his stats are far from a legit pro bowl player.

It doesn't matter what Dilfer's motives were in what he said. Cherry pickers gonna cherry pick.

In the end all this talk is meaningless. It doesn't matter what I say, you say, the "experts" say, or anyone else says.

reo   

MM was #6 in the league in pass %. Seems like an odd critique. 

My main problem with MM has been being too conservative and taking sacks instead of chances too many times.

Personally I've chalked that mostly down to him not trusting his WRs but we'll see.

I also think he probably checks to a run more often than I'd prefer but I don't have much to back that up. Just a guess.

Edited by reo

9 minutes ago, reo said:

MM was #6 in the league in pass %. Seems like an odd critique. 

My main problem with MM has been being too conservative and taking sacks instead of chances too many times.

Personally I've chalked that mostly down to him not trusting his WRs but we'll see.

I also think he probably checks to a run more often than I'd prefer but I don't have much to back that up. Just a guess.

He should have a higher % because the field is cut in half with play action, bootlegs and quick pass plays. Its not like its spread out, dropping back and him scanning the field and making the correct read. 

reo   
13 minutes ago, headhunter said:

He should have a higher % because the field is cut in half with play action, bootlegs and quick pass plays. Its not like its spread out, dropping back and him scanning the field and making the correct read. 

Come on now. Isn't he something like 68%? 

And most of his reads seem to have been presnap. That's why the ball comes out quickly and why he's good on his first read. It depends on if he read the defense right. It's not like they're running a dumbed down offense for him.

Edited by reo

Just now, reo said:

Come on now. Isn't he something like 68%? 

And most of his reads have been presnap. That's why the ball comes out quickly and why he's good on his first read. It depends on if he read the defense right. It's not like they're running a dumber down offense for him.

Its a pretty simple offense. Not calling Mariota stupid its just supposed to he easier to learn and execute

reo   
1 minute ago, headhunter said:

Its a pretty simple offense. Not calling Mariota stupid its just supposed to he easier to learn and execute

Is it? I haven't seem anyone sayin its simple.  Seems like he comes to the line with a run and pass. Reads the defense and checks to what he wants to run. Just bc it ends up being run heavy with play action doesn't make it simple.

3 minutes ago, reo said:

Is it? I haven't seem anyone sayin its simple.  Seems like he comes to the line with a run and pass. Reads the defense and checks to what he wants to run. Just bc it ends up being run heavy with play action doesn't make it simple.

Then what makes it difficut?

reo   
2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Then what makes it difficut?

From what I've seen he's a bit too risk averse. Doesn't trust his WRs and doesn't like pulling the trigger on iffy passes so he takes too many sacks.

To me the one line summary of that situation is that Mariota could be an NFL starter level QB in the right system (he's not Brady/Rodgers/Brees) and if he stayed healthy. IMO his injury tendency probably prevents him from being that guy for us. I think we'll be QB shopping after this season.

But hey, he had a better stint than Locker and VY!

OILERMAN   

On a side note it was pretty funny when Dilfer broke into talking about Romo. He clearly had disdain for the amount of praise Romo has gotten and wanted to point out Romo didn't know what he was talking about concerning the Pats defense