Dilfer Interview on Midday 180

cenj

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

It’s obvious you have a vendetta out on Mariota, but everyone on offense was kinda out of sync. Obviously Marcus has Blame on his shoulders, but to say he was the problem is just as bad as the extremists defending him. 

No vendetta, just my opinion after four years.

The offense this year was a disaster.  Losing walker and Mathews was a harder blow than most realize I think.  

However, my opinion doesn’t change.  Just don’t think he’s going to be able to do what’s necessary to prove he’s the guy after 2019.  And by that I mean, I expect to see about the same struggles and frustrating QB play we’ve seen the previous two seasons.  Hopefully I’m wrong.  

Edited by C_Train

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it was about his core all along, eh?

Good lord you're obnoxious.   I'm literally posting what Dilfer said because I listened to the interview. Nothing I said was my opinion. Nothing. I'm merely relaying information Trent Dilfer

He's always been that way.

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I don't see a lot of one-read QBs finding much success regardless. Guys can only get so open for so long. If the QB is confused or moved off his spot it won't matter.

Bad QB play with average playmakers equals bad offense.

Bad QB play with above average playmakers still equals bad offense.

I don't see how adding more WRs will make us a better right now. I see Mariota as the only way ... and then we build from there.

Another WR should put us over the top not make our QB average.

Ok but again, it seems like we're just debating theory and philosophy and what should be here. 

They're not moving on from Mariota this year. And it's a pipe dream to think Mariota drastically improves this year. 

So the question is, living with those two realities that are basically set in stone, what moves can be made to improve the offense this year. 

Edited by tgo

8 minutes ago, tgo said:

Ok but again, it seems like we're just debating theory and philosophy and what should be here. 

They're not moving on from Mariota this year. And it's a pipe dream to think Mariota drastically improves this year. 

So the question is, living with those two realities that are basically set in stone, what moves can be made to improve the offense this year. 

Invest in the Oline. Obviously we need wideouts, always will. But to act like we're seriously lacking there is overkill.

Our high-end resources can be better spent on defense and the oline. Until our QB is capable of passing 30-plus times consistently without injury we're wasting our resources.

If our QB is here for one more year, no need to invest more 1st round capitol on weapons when the issue with those weapons is the QB itself.

If we keep throwing money and high picks at it, we'll keep wondering why "we can't pick WRs"

Meanwhile Steve McNair made it work with Drew Bennett and Derek Mason.

Edited by big2033

I don't think it's necessary to invest much in the OL. I'd look to improve one interior position, but I wouldn't spend a 1-3 round pick there. Coaching was a bigger issue it seems.

I think we need help at WR, but again, it doesn't mean we need another 1st or 2nd rounder. Corey Davis is the #1. We need a #2 and better depth. Go out and sign a consistent handed veteran in FA who isn't 35 and runs a 4.8 40. Bam, you got the top two set and everyone else slides into a more appropriate role. Sign another FA depth player to be a #4 type and ensure we can withstand at least some injury.

I would draft another RB who is more rounded, somewhere in the 3-5 range. TE may be a need if Walker falls of a cliff. 

I think the bigger issue for Mariota is health -- both his own and that of everyone else. If he's healthy and we don't have 1/3 of our key offensive players go down, there's enough to gauge where he is as a QB. More weapons would be better, but I'd invest everything in defense.

3 hours ago, big2033 said:

I don't see a lot of one-read QBs finding much success regardless. Guys can only get so open for so long. If the QB is confused or moved off his spot it won't matter.

Bad QB play with average playmakers equals bad offense.

Bad QB play with above average playmakers still equals bad offense.

I don't see how adding more WRs will make us a better right now. I see Mariota as the only way ... and then we build from there.

Another WR should put us over the top not make our QB average. More blockers maybe.

I came on here again after like two weeks and you're still making the same argument almost word for word lol. I may disagree with you but I actually respect your persistence on this. I was way too tired to argue about this topic anymore and admitted defeat. 

9 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

I came on here again after like two weeks and you're still making the same argument almost word for word lol. I may disagree with you but I actually respect your persistence on this. I was way too tired to argue about this topic anymore and admitted defeat. 

One Trick Pony.

That's all he's got so he's runnin' with it.

I know, it's lame, but whatcha gonna do?

1 hour ago, cenj said:

If he's healthy and we don't have 1/3 of our key offensive players go down, there's enough to gauge where he is as a QB. 

You may not know but the coaches and Robinson know, they don't need to see more

4 hours ago, big2033 said:

Invest in the Oline. Obviously we need wideouts, always will. But to act like we're seriously lacking there is overkill.

Our high-end resources can be better spent on defense and the oline. Until our QB is capable of passing 30-plus times consistently without injury we're wasting our resources.

If our QB is here for one more year, no need to invest more 1st round capitol on weapons when the issue with those weapons is the QB itself.

If we keep throwing money and high picks at it, we'll keep wondering why "we can't pick WRs"

Meanwhile Steve McNair made it work with Drew Bennett and Derek Mason.

I started telling them in preseason. 

10 hours ago, abc2330 said:

He has a 66 percent catch rate and 3.2 yards of separation per Target.  He can get open, and at basically any level of the field,  which is the single most important thing.  The inability to do so is the reason most receivers don't make it. 

Focus and hands improve with more experience.  It's great that we are keeping the same verbiage in the system so there will be less for our young players to learn and to consume their focus during games.  You see in practice he looks composed and natural at the point of catch, while he looks uncomfortable and timid during games.  That will go away over time.  

i think the problem was he either did nothing at all, fucked up, or made a big play. 

if he's so good deep.. he needs to be running those more often or getting open more often deep. 

10 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Taylor was pretty good at getting open, he just had stone hands. 

He had a 66% catch rate.  People are clamoring over John Brown and his 9 drops and 40% catch rate.  Titans fans just get too emotionally invested and are too hard on some players, while assuming that a guy who made a play for another team that one time is better.

Edited by abc2330