Dilfer Interview on Midday 180

cenj

Go to around the 22:00 mark and Dilfer explains what I posted a couple of weeks ago about Mariota being a Thinker®, he also points out the practiced throws I mentioned.  He calls them planned, basically same thing.  

Edited by Number9

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it was about his core all along, eh?

Good lord you're obnoxious.   I'm literally posting what Dilfer said because I listened to the interview. Nothing I said was my opinion. Nothing. I'm merely relaying information Trent Dilfer

He's always been that way.

3 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

For what it's worth, our offense has been the 19th rated offense in the 4th qtr the past couple years.

That ultimately can be viewed at as when Mariota is his clutch self, he is still simply a serviceable player statistically (not scientific obviously but it's not like Mariota just becomes elite when the game is on the line)

You can't have so many 4th quarter comebacks if you're blowing team out.

With a conservative gameplan you're going to have 4th quarter comebacks to win games.

7 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The idea Marcus needs to be in some heavy set offense is ridiculous. If that’s the case then draft Murray. 

No. I don't believe that 100%. But he has to be in an easy-read offense where he's protected and he can attack the middle of the field with his above average accuracy.

• He struggles under pressure.
  • He struggles outside the hashmarks.
  • He struggles as a passer on the move.
  • He struggles when the read isn't clearly defined.

Where does that lead us as an offense?

Edited by big2033

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

You can't have so many 4th quarter comebacks if you're blowing team out.

With a conservative gameplan you're going to have 4th quarter comebacks to win games.

I know. You also can't have too many 4th Qtr comebacks if your defense is getting blown out and the offense was playing as bad as our typically has looked.

A lot of shit goes into 4th Qtr comebacks where it's a joke of a stat. My point though was it's not like Mariota just becomes some elite player with all these comebacks, he just regresses back to the norm or slightly above but the team is already in it enough where it's a game.

19 hours ago, headhunter said:

He should have a higher % because the field is cut in half with play action, bootlegs and quick pass plays. Its not like its spread out, dropping back and him scanning the field and making the correct read. 

Do you watch modern NFL games? All offenses not run by Brady, Brees, and Rodgers do this.

I will say I see why Dilfer got fired.  He's overly authoritative.  Being authoritative was part of his profession, but he seems to take is over the line.  "They ask the same questions all day."  That doesn't mean you have to answer the same way every time.  The facts are the facts, be he could have tried to be more informative and guide his answers with a little more detail.  Yes?

12 hours ago, big2033 said:

I think you need to re-evaluate what he did in these moments. Was he truly cycling through reads in the spread or was he simply making quick throws to his first read?

Most of the time he was able to work the spread in hurry up moments. Catching teams off guard. 

The question is does it work when teams can plan for it like a big part of our offense? 

This spread you keep going to was in moments, not in full games.

I think you're making a wrong conclusion as to what happens when MM completes a quick throw. It seems like you think that's on the OC calling the right play against the perfect defense. Personally I think this means MM made the correct presnap read and correct adjustment for it. If he was just running the play that was called then they wouldn't be trying to give so much time at the line. 

Personally I think when he makes the correct presnap read and call the his first read is open and he completes it. It's when the defense tricks him and he misses the read that he struggles and then he holds the ball and takes sacks instead of taking chances and trusting his WRs.

11 minutes ago, reo said:

I think you're making a wrong conclusion as to what happens when MM completes a quick throw. It seems like you think that's on the OC calling the right play against the perfect defense. Personally I think this means MM made the correct presnap read and correct adjustment for it. If he was just running the play that was called then they wouldn't be trying to give so much time at the line. 

Personally I think when he makes the correct presnap read and call the his first read is open and he completes it. It's when the defense tricks him and he misses the read that he struggles and then he holds the ball and takes sacks instead of taking chances and trusting his WRs.

Fine.

Either way, we can't survive on a QB who is only successful when the first read is open pre-snap or post-snap.

31 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Fine.

Either way, we can't survive on a QB who is only successful when the first read is open pre-snap or post-snap.

Just needs to trust his WRs more, take more chances and continue to improve his ability to read defenses (experience).

8 hours ago, reo said:

Just needs to trust his WRs more, take more chances and continue to improve his ability to read defenses (experience).

Will this improvement happen before he needs a new contract or do you pay him hoping it happens?

25 minutes ago, siamesedinasour said:

On a mostly related topic, did I hear correctly, that Keith Bulluck will be Lipscomb's DC? 

He and Marc Marini were on the staff, maybe more former NFLers