Titanskick 8851 Mock Off-Season V. 2.0 - Post Senior Bowl/Super Bowl/Pre-Combine

titanskick8851

McLaurin would be a massive departure for JRob from his wide receiver selections to date.

Sharpe (averaged 98 receptions/yr over last two years of CFB), Davis (avg 93 rec) and Taylor(avg 92 rec) were 3 of the most prolific WRs in college football over the last decade. McLaurin averages just over 30 receptions (less than 3/game).  That would be a significant departure in draft strategy for JRob.

If prior form is a factor, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us target Andy Isabella.

14 hours ago, titanskick8851 said:

Fair enough. What is it about Lindstrom that you don't like or don't think he can provide? Do you really think he wouldn't be capable of starting at RG? Don't forget that as of now we have a hole at LG as well with Spain headed towards free agency. So technically speaking we have a large hole to fill there.

He's not good enough day 1 to beat our current rotation out of jobs. Even if I'm wrong about that, how much better will he really be? Can't we get an equal or better guard in FA? WTF would you draft a RG in the middle of the first? He ain't Nelson. 

That first pick needs to make an impact year 1. He needs to make us proud by year 2. I'd rather splurge on a WR or TE there than pick a guard like CL, and I don't even want that. I'd prefer we got a guard in FA and picked a raw guy in mid/late rounds who's a nasty head stomping mauler that we can develop. 

3 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

He's not good enough day 1 to beat our current rotation out of jobs. Even if I'm wrong about that, how much better will he really be? Can't we get an equal or better guard in FA? WTF would you draft a RG in the middle of the first? He ain't Nelson. 

That first pick needs to make an impact year 1. He needs to make us proud by year 2. I'd rather splurge on a WR or TE there than pick a guard like CL, and I don't even want that. I'd prefer we got a guard in FA and picked a raw guy in mid/late rounds who's a nasty head stomping mauler that we can develop. 

I don't understand why you don't think he would break into the lineup. #1 because if he was drafted in the 1st, they basically would already line him up at one of the Guard spots just as they lined Conklin up as starting RT right away when he was drafted. Secondly, everyone has said how poor our interior OL is, if drafted in the 1st or 2nd for that matter I would trust our scouts over you in regards to if they believe he can start immediately. They wouldn't draft him there obviously if they didn't think he could.

With regards to impact in year 1, what is more impactful than a 16-game starter as a rookie at OG that is playing every snap (assuming he plays well of course)? I 100% agree with you at TE. If Hockenson is available than you jump on it, but realistically there is a good chance he is gone before 19. You suggest WR, but we know how it takes awhile for WR to adjust to the league and be successful. Most WR don't make huge 1st year impacts. So if that is what you are basing it off of then you are completely off on that. In my view, assuming we sign a starting OLB and WR in free agency our 1st pick will come down to OLB (Burns/Sweat), TE (Hockenson), or OL (Lindstrom/Bradbury/Ford). Maybe if someone like Devin White or Ed Oliver miraculously drop to 19 we pick one of them instead as they are clearly better talents, but if we are being realistic that is the three most likely positions where we can get an impactful player in his 1st year. The IDL depth is so good that we can good player in the 2nd-4th round at that position. I also think the WR depth is good and the fall off from say AJ Brown/Hollywood Brown/Kelvin Harmon to Terry McLaurin/Andy Isabella/Anthony Johnson.

I believe tgo or someone mentioned it last week in another thread that we have a ton of money that will be put into the OL (Lewan-2nd Contract, Jones - FA, Kline - 2nd Contract, Conklin-Nearing 5th year option, Kelly-In need of extension), thus it is not too likely we make a big money addition to the OL in the form of Paradis or Morse. 

Edited by titanskick8851

9 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

I don't understand why you don't think he would break into the lineup. #1 because if he was drafted in the 1st, they basically would already line him up at one of the Guard spots just as they lined Conklin up as starting RT right away when he was drafted. Secondly, everyone has said how poor our interior OL is, if drafted in the 1st or 2nd for that matter I would trust our scouts over you in regards to if they believe he can start immediately. They wouldn't draft him there obviously if they didn't think he could.

With regards to impact in year 1, what is more impactful than a 16-game starter as a rookie at OG that is playing every snap (assuming he plays well of course)? I 100% agree with you at TE. If Hockenson is available than you jump on it, but realistically there is a good chance he is gone before 19. You suggest WR, but we know how it takes awhile for WR to adjust to the league and be successful. Most WR don't make huge 1st year impacts. So if that is what you are basing it off of then you are completely off on that. In my view, assuming we sign a starting OLB and WR in free agency our 1st pick will come down to OLB (Burns/Sweat), TE (Hockenson), or OL (Lindstrom/Bradbury/Ford). Maybe if someone like Devin White or Ed Oliver miraculously drop to 19 we pick one of them instead as they are clearly better talents, but if we are being realistic that is the three most likely positions where we can get an impactful player in his 1st year. The IDL depth is so good that we can good player in the 2nd-4th round at that position. I also think the WR depth is good and the fall off from say AJ Brown/Hollywood Brown to Terry McLaurin/Andy Isabella/

I believe tgo or someone mentioned it last week in another thread that we have a ton of money that will be put into the OL (Lewan-2nd Contract, Jones - FA, Kline - 2nd Contract, Conklin-Nearing 5th year option, Kelly-In need of extension), thus it is not too likely we make a big money addition to the OL in the form of Paradis or Morse. 

There are YT vids of Hock running dline's dick straight into the dirt, in addition to great hands and routes. It's like we would get an olineman and a receiver in 1 pick. 

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

Lions reddit is all over Hockenson. Dont get your hopes up.

Assuming the Jags fill their QB need in FA the Jags taking Hockenson would make a tonne of sense as well, they aren't exactly stacked at TE and they want to run the ball and play defense, Hockenson would be a perfect fit for them.

Would suck if hock ended up a jag.  Hes who im hoping we get-just trying to not get my hopes up this far away from draft time.  Isit true that  the other top TE is also from Iowa?  I was reading that its hock and this noah fant kid as the 1 and 2 options at the position.  

2 minutes ago, VanCityTitan said:

Would suck if hock ended up a jag.  Hes who im hoping we get-just trying to not get my hopes up this far away from draft time.  Isit true that  the other top TE is also from Iowa?  I was reading that its hock and this noah fant kid as the 1 and 2 options at the position.  

Yep Noah Fant is also from Iowa, Fant is more a receiving TE who is a freak athlete.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, Soxcat said:

Basically we had two 1st round picks last year in Evans and Landry (yes he slipped but really 1st round grade) and neither had a huge impact year 1.  A WR is likely to be even less impact.  A TE maybe more than a WR (OJ Howard was pedestrian his rookie season but on his way close to 1000 yards before getting injured).

Now I do think we shouldn't be even sniffing an OG that early unless they can start from day one over Kline or someone like Spain.  But even so with Spain and Kline being close to average NFL OGs it wouldn't be surprising if a 1st round OG wasn't much better his first season.  DeCastro is a stud now but not so much his rookie season.

The whole concept of expecting guys to get drafted and instantly make a huge difference is skewed.  Some guys do come in and have great 1st seasons.  But most do not.  Some positions are more conducive to good starts.  Some are not.  Now with that said I think a real good TE can make a difference in year one if they can block as well as catch. 

Landry certainly had an impact. Nearly all of his stats came in 2nd half after recovering from injury. Evans did well in his last few games. 

Hock will be a day 1 starter. I wouldn't expect big numbers early, but I'm sure he would be a red zone threat and blocking asset day 1.