Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Dean Pees Previews 2019 Defense

Soxcat   

Interesting.  Richardson is slightly under 300 pounds and more similar to Casey than Vince Wilfork.  So now an argument is made for him?  Not that I disagree on a guy like Richardson. 

2 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Interesting.  Richardson is slightly under 300 pounds and more similar to Casey than Vince Wilfork.  So now an argument is made for him?  Not that I disagree on a guy like Richardson. 

I have hard time seeing what position Richardson would play thats not Casey's spot. 

Soxcat   
20 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I have hard time seeing what position Richardson would play thats not Casey's spot. 

I guess we can forget the 60% of the time we are in a 4 man front? 

I already pointed out that except for Casey we had a roster filled with 320 pounds guys.  Granted, a few of those guys aren't playing like they are 320 pounds.  But we have a pretty decent lineup for 3-4 play and obviously could use a squatty 2 gap guy at NT who would play maybe 40% of the time.  An individual like that would offer little for pass rush.  A guy like Suh, while not dominating, is still a good combination of run stuffing and passing rushing.  He can take up blockers. 

But I hate to say it.....  we are going back to the insane stupidity I heard when Donald was in the draft.  We literally had nit wits saying we wouldn't want him because we already have Casey.  No, Richardson isn't Donald but it is the same squirrely thinking.  Yea, we don't want a guy who can beat a guy one on one and pressure the QB.  We already have one of those.........  The money plays on defense are 3rd down and the end of each half.  The downs where we need a stop.  Yea, put in a guy more comparable to Casey and Casey with Landry on the outside hopefully with someone else who can get pressure on the edge.  Guess what?  We get a rush with 4 guys.  That is how you beat the best teams and these high powered offenses.  Also, when you do decide to send a guy like Evans or Byard after the QB it can often be a free run.  Ask Brady what that was like when he got beat by the Giants.... twice.

Now Richardson has never really lived up to the draft spot and hype.  He is no Fletcher Cox by a long shot.  Certainly Jones and Johnson have not lived up to what we want either. 

reo   
34 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I guess we can forget the 60% of the time we are in a 4 man front? 

I already pointed out that except for Casey we had a roster filled with 320 pounds guys.  Granted, a few of those guys aren't playing like they are 320 pounds.  But we have a pretty decent lineup for 3-4 play and obviously could use a squatty 2 gap guy at NT who would play maybe 40% of the time.  An individual like that would offer little for pass rush.  A guy like Suh, while not dominating, is still a good combination of run stuffing and passing rushing.  He can take up blockers. 

But I hate to say it.....  we are going back to the insane stupidity I heard when Donald was in the draft.  We literally had nit wits saying we wouldn't want him because we already have Casey.  No, Richardson isn't Donald but it is the same squirrely thinking.  Yea, we don't want a guy who can beat a guy one on one and pressure the QB.  We already have one of those.........  The money plays on defense are 3rd down and the end of each half.  The downs where we need a stop.  Yea, put in a guy more comparable to Casey and Casey with Landry on the outside hopefully with someone else who can get pressure on the edge.  Guess what?  We get a rush with 4 guys.  That is how you beat the best teams and these high powered offenses.  Also, when you do decide to send a guy like Evans or Byard after the QB it can often be a free run.  Ask Brady what that was like when he got beat by the Giants.... twice.

Now Richardson has never really lived up to the draft spot and hype.  He is no Fletcher Cox by a long shot.  Certainly Jones and Johnson have not lived up to what we want either. 

I'm not sure you get how this defense works at all.

japan   
On 2/9/2019 at 8:31 AM, JoelinBellevue said:

Our TEs produced very well. Smith will be back, and they must be happy with Stocker blocking because they released Fowler. We have Firsker and the other guy. Other places need attention worse. What I meant was the people we drafted last year were supposed to be ready this year. Now we have to go through with another OC. I can hear the excuses already.  We really need a speed back instead of Lewis, and a guard for sure. 

Smith won't be much of a factor this coming season.  He blew his knee out in practically the last game.

Huston   
5 hours ago, Soxcat said:

You do understand that 60% or more of the time this defense runs a four man front.  Yes or no?

They want their big nose tackle and will not be talked out of it.

reo   
9 hours ago, Soxcat said:

You do understand that 60% or more of the time this defense runs a four man front.  Yes or no?

You do realize that doesn't matter, right?

reo   
3 hours ago, Huston said:

They want their big nose tackle and will not be talked out of it.

Its not really about what we want. It's about how Pees' defense operates.

5 hours ago, japan said:

Smith won't be much of a factor this coming season.  He blew his knee out in practically the last game.

It was a MCL vs a ACL, thought the recovery time was shorter. 

Soxcat   
10 hours ago, reo said:

Its not really about what we want. It's about how Pees' defense operates.

OK OK, now go back into the corner and play with your GI Joe.  Step back and let the men discuss football.