Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Dean Pees Previews 2019 Defense

Well, in all fairness Mariota does need to stop the Colts from trampling the Titans to the tune of 800+ yards of offense per season.

LOL.

"That's my Quarterback Free Safety Linebacker Defensive End Nose Tackle Cornerback?"  ---  EXPERT ANALYSIS

reo   
On 2/6/2019 at 12:58 PM, tgo said:

Pees on the radio basically saying a lot of times what he's calling quote - "isn't condusive to them pass rushing" - referring to the defensive line. 

He doesn't sound to me like he cares much about having more pass rush on the DL, which is what Face and I have talked about based on his past. 

He also said his system is one of the hardest to learn, and is hard for young players to adapt to because they do so much up front and in coverage. 

I've been saying this for a while as well. It's why I want a dominant NT for this defense, not a penatrating DL.

Face   
On 2/6/2019 at 1:58 PM, tgo said:

Pees on the radio basically saying a lot of times what he's calling quote - "isn't condusive to them pass rushing" - referring to the defensive line. 

He doesn't sound to me like he cares much about having more pass rush on the DL, which is what Face and I have talked about based on his past. 

He also said his system is one of the hardest to learn, and is hard for young players to adapt to because they do so much up front and in coverage. 

Yeah I still dont think the guy randomly threw out that this was the smallest DL he's ever coached if he didn't want to get bigger.

The answer he gave this time, that he'd like to add size as long as they were fast as well, basically just sounds like coachspeak. Coaches always speak in generalities. But it's pretty obvious based on Pees history, as well as the Patriots history, and Pees own words...:along with the DL the Ravens drafted & signed,  that he prefers huge DL who can occupy & get push against multiple blockers.

The Ravens resigned Brandon Williams, their 340 lb NT, when they also had a borderline pro bowler in 2nd year Michael Pierce, a 6'0 330 pounder. There was some skepticism when they did so because apparently they weren't aware that the forward thinking teams don't value NT's, especially 2 of them. They must've felt lucky when they somehow managed to keep destroying offenses.

tgo   
18 minutes ago, Face said:

Yeah I still dont think the guy randomly threw out that this was the smallest DL he's ever coached if he didn't want to get bigger.

The answer he gave this time, that he'd like to add size as long as they were fast as well, basically just sounds like coachspeak. Coaches always speak in generalities. But it's pretty obvious based on Pees history, as well as the Patriots history, and Pees own words...:along with the DL the Ravens drafted & signed,  that he prefers huge DL who can occupy & get push against multiple blockers.

The Ravens resigned Brandon Williams, their 340 lb NT, when they also had a borderline pro bowler in 2nd year Michael Pierce, a 6'0 330 pounder. There was some skepticism when they did so because apparently they weren't aware that the forward thinking teams don't value NT's, especially 2 of them. They must've felt lucky when they somehow managed to keep destroying offenses.

This is why I'm basically dismissing any of these small pass rushing DTs that can't two gap. We already have Casey, and they're not going to get any smaller on the DL. 

They could target a player like Suh who offers legit pass rush but is also dominant against the run. 

Outside of that, they will likely be targeting DL that can really two gap. 

Edited by tgo

Soxcat   

I'd go after another Casey in the draft and not hesitate if the right guy was there.  We haven't even come up with a decent replacement for Klug.  I wouldn't be that excited about a 2 gap guy unless he could also rush the passer when asked to.  Suh is viable because he can do both.  Yea, we need a beast to two gap about half the defensive snaps.  We also need guys who can get after the QB the other half.

tgo   
Just now, Soxcat said:

I'd go after another Casey in the draft and not hesitate if the right guy was there.  We haven't even come up with a decent replacement for Klug.  I wouldn't be that excited about a 2 gap guy unless he could also rush the passer when asked to.  Suh is viable because he can do both.  Yea, we need a beast to two gap about half the defensive snaps.  We also need guys who can get after the QB the other half.

That's because they didn't want a replacement for Klug. 

They released Klug in part because he doesn't fit what they're trying to do. 

Soxcat   

Look what they have "tried" to do.  We already have Jones (extended him) and Johnson.  So there are two guys 6'4, 320 pounds.  Logan was 6'2 close to 320 pounds.  Kilgo is 6'3 320 pounds.  Not saying we couldn't use a stud in that size but who doesn't?  But to say we need a HOF stud who is massive and is more than a stationary statue to make this defense work is absurd.  On top of that while we do have issues stopping the run (less so when Evans actually started playing better than pedestrian) we have a real issue with a lack of pressure inside. 

Now what we really need is a guy like Fletcher Cox.  6'4, 300 total stud.  Can do it all.  I don't care if he plays the 5 in the base great but I'm more interested in how he plays DT in a four man front.  If we actually had a 280 pound guy who plays more like Casey, who can actually get to the QB, we not only have depth for Casey in the base (not to mention Casey is not a spring chicken) but someone who can play in passing situations who can effect the QB. 

As for the draft I'd be fine with Dexter Lawrence if he lasts until our pick.  Darn good value at #19 and maybe can do it all.  But I certainly wouldn't pass on a guy like Wilkins just because he isn't some 2 gap beast either. If we had Wilkins AND Casey inside we have two guys that can disrupt the QB and that IMO is the most important element. 

reo   

Too many posters on here are stuck in the same old wide 9 mindset where it's the DL trying to penetrate and disrupt while the LBs just cover, tackle and clean up. In Pees' system, it's the LBs that make the plays and disrupt. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:44 AM, Soxcat said:

We actually lost players on offense to injury and Matthews quitting.  Not only did we draft three guys on defense but Finch came in as a FA and looks promising.

The offense really needs most of the attention this draft.  OL, WR and TE not to mention we may consider taking a shot at another QB at some point and hope we get lucky. 

Our TEs produced very well. Smith will be back, and they must be happy with Stocker blocking because they released Fowler. We have Firsker and the other guy. Other places need attention worse. What I meant was the people we drafted last year were supposed to be ready this year. Now we have to go through with another OC. I can hear the excuses already.  We really need a speed back instead of Lewis, and a guard for sure. 

Huston   

"The Tennessee Titans were far from the most effective team in stopping the run last season, finishing the year as 18th in the league in the category.

With the free agency period beginning in mid-March, and the 2019 NFL Draft approaching in April, there are a number of ways the Titans work through their woes.

One option the team should look into is current Vikings defensive tackle, Sheldon Richardson.

Richardson would fit nicely in defensive coordinator Dean Pees’ 3-4 scheme, and has proven more than effective against opposing rushers.

He’s also been successful in getting to the quarterback, recording 4.5 sacks for the Vikings in 2018. He appeared in all 16 games for the team, also recording 49 tackles.

Between Richardson’s strength, quickness and high motor, the Titans’ pass rush would instantly be boosted within the inside.

Pair him up with veteran defensive end Jurrell Casey, and the Titans should be dangerous against both the run and the pass next season.

Over the course of 89 games, Richardson totals 335 tackles, 23.5 sacks, one safety, seven passes defensed and one interception.

Regardless of how they choose to do it, the Titans must bring improvement to the defensive front and bring Casey some help before the 2019 season begins."

Richardson would be an interesting pickup, and certainly would fill a big need...

However, I think he has had a questionable attitude in the past, so he may not be a JRob guy...