Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Dean Pees Previews 2019 Defense

tgo   

Pees on the radio basically saying a lot of times what he's calling quote - "isn't condusive to them pass rushing" - referring to the defensive line. 

He doesn't sound to me like he cares much about having more pass rush on the DL, which is what Face and I have talked about based on his past. 

He also said his system is one of the hardest to learn, and is hard for young players to adapt to because they do so much up front and in coverage. 

Edited by tgo

Soxcat   

The Mariota situation might be a lost cause.  I see the same stuff being said this off-season as last about this is his year, he has to do it now, blah blah blah.  First of all if he could just make it through 16 games or at least be there when we need him most I'd be way more comfortable with his situation.  But even then his play leaves something to be desired.  He isn't total dog crap but is he really good enough to take us all the way?  On top of that he might literally get lucky and be fools gold.  As in stay healthy for a chance, get a big contract and then continue to be inconsistent and injured.

The Mahomes scenario is something to look at.  They had Smith, who actually played some of the best ball of his career, but Reid simply wasn't confident he was the guy.   They were aggressive getting Mahomes.  He didn't fall into their lap.  They paid big to move up and get him.  Now I'm not sure there is a guy like that we would have any shot at but if there was I'd be all for making the move.  What would be worse than another humdrum year of Mariota and injury would be the prospects after.  Maybe in the 2020 draft we make a move to get a QB.  I really think they need to consider their options sooner than later.   

OILERMAN   
7 hours ago, ctm said:

The only thing added to the offense in 2018 was a rotational RB.

A healthy Corey Davis who had an offseason was added, Sharpe also returned 

6 hours ago, Soxcat said:

The Mariota situation might be a lost cause.  I see the same stuff being said this off-season as last about this is his year, he has to do it now, blah blah blah.  First of all if he could just make it through 16 games or at least be there when we need him most I'd be way more comfortable with his situation.  But even then his play leaves something to be desired.  He isn't total dog crap but is he really good enough to take us all the way?  On top of that he might literally get lucky and be fools gold.  As in stay healthy for a chance, get a big contract and then continue to be inconsistent and injured.

The Mahomes scenario is something to look at.  They had Smith, who actually played some of the best ball of his career, but Reid simply wasn't confident he was the guy.   They were aggressive getting Mahomes.  He didn't fall into their lap.  They paid big to move up and get him.  Now I'm not sure there is a guy like that we would have any shot at but if there was I'd be all for making the move.  What would be worse than another humdrum year of Mariota and injury would be the prospects after.  Maybe in the 2020 draft we make a move to get a QB.  I really think they need to consider their options sooner than later.   

In this lackluster QB class, who would you like to counter Mariota?

Huston   
7 hours ago, tgo said:

The defense is going to be consistently good to great with everyone one year in already.

OzTitan   

There is not really a Mahomes like option to go after but let's be real, this team wouldn't take it if there was. Not trying to be defeatist but there is no appetite for a move like that in this team.

11 hours ago, ctm said:

The only thing added to the offense in 2018 was a rotational RB.

Unless you want to count a 7th round Qb who is no longer with the team, the entire draft was defense.  The titans had one expensive free agent...a CB with a rotational DL thrown in for good measure.

Lewis ended up a bottom five back in the league for his snaps based on analytics. He was terrible. He adds a dimension and should used like Sproles. 

OILERMAN   
7 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

In this lackluster QB class, who would you like to counter Mariota?

There isn't a better option 

Huston   
4 hours ago, tgo said:

Every thread matures into a Mariota thread. Without fail!

Its always the usual suspects.

Omar   

I am just waiting for MM to be brought up in a political thread..

Anyway..bitch, whine and complain about MM, ask them to suggest a better option that would be an upgrade..crickets. 

Soxcat   

Just because there isn't an easy better option doesn't mean MM isn't an issue.  I do apologize for bringing this up in a defensive thread.