Dean Pees Previews 2019 Defense

Jonboy

On 2/6/2019 at 1:58 PM, tgo said:

Pees on the radio basically saying a lot of times what he's calling quote - "isn't condusive to them pass rushing" - referring to the defensive line. 

He doesn't sound to me like he cares much about having more pass rush on the DL, which is what Face and I have talked about based on his past. 

He also said his system is one of the hardest to learn, and is hard for young players to adapt to because they do so much up front and in coverage. 

Yeah I still dont think the guy randomly threw out that this was the smallest DL he's ever coached if he didn't want to get bigger.

The answer he gave this time, that he'd like to add size as long as they were fast as well, basically just sounds like coachspeak. Coaches always speak in generalities. But it's pretty obvious based on Pees history, as well as the Patriots history, and Pees own words...:along with the DL the Ravens drafted & signed,  that he prefers huge DL who can occupy & get push against multiple blockers.

The Ravens resigned Brandon Williams, their 340 lb NT, when they also had a borderline pro bowler in 2nd year Michael Pierce, a 6'0 330 pounder. There was some skepticism when they did so because apparently they weren't aware that the forward thinking teams don't value NT's, especially 2 of them. They must've felt lucky when they somehow managed to keep destroying offenses.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We need to make sure to include that in every topic that is created.    For example, this thread should have been called "Dean Pees Previews 2019 Defense and Mariota Discussion"  

It isn't brought up because its beyond dispute that Mariota would be a far better president than what we have now.

The only thing added to the offense in 2018 was a rotational RB.   Unless you want to count a 7th round Qb who is no longer with the team, the entire draft was defense.  The titans had one e

18 minutes ago, Face said:

Yeah I still dont think the guy randomly threw out that this was the smallest DL he's ever coached if he didn't want to get bigger.

The answer he gave this time, that he'd like to add size as long as they were fast as well, basically just sounds like coachspeak. Coaches always speak in generalities. But it's pretty obvious based on Pees history, as well as the Patriots history, and Pees own words...:along with the DL the Ravens drafted & signed,  that he prefers huge DL who can occupy & get push against multiple blockers.

The Ravens resigned Brandon Williams, their 340 lb NT, when they also had a borderline pro bowler in 2nd year Michael Pierce, a 6'0 330 pounder. There was some skepticism when they did so because apparently they weren't aware that the forward thinking teams don't value NT's, especially 2 of them. They must've felt lucky when they somehow managed to keep destroying offenses.

This is why I'm basically dismissing any of these small pass rushing DTs that can't two gap. We already have Casey, and they're not going to get any smaller on the DL. 

They could target a player like Suh who offers legit pass rush but is also dominant against the run. 

Outside of that, they will likely be targeting DL that can really two gap. 

Edited by tgo

Just now, Soxcat said:

I'd go after another Casey in the draft and not hesitate if the right guy was there.  We haven't even come up with a decent replacement for Klug.  I wouldn't be that excited about a 2 gap guy unless he could also rush the passer when asked to.  Suh is viable because he can do both.  Yea, we need a beast to two gap about half the defensive snaps.  We also need guys who can get after the QB the other half.

That's because they didn't want a replacement for Klug. 

They released Klug in part because he doesn't fit what they're trying to do. 

"The Tennessee Titans were far from the most effective team in stopping the run last season, finishing the year as 18th in the league in the category.

With the free agency period beginning in mid-March, and the 2019 NFL Draft approaching in April, there are a number of ways the Titans work through their woes.

One option the team should look into is current Vikings defensive tackle, Sheldon Richardson.

Richardson would fit nicely in defensive coordinator Dean Pees’ 3-4 scheme, and has proven more than effective against opposing rushers.

He’s also been successful in getting to the quarterback, recording 4.5 sacks for the Vikings in 2018. He appeared in all 16 games for the team, also recording 49 tackles.

Between Richardson’s strength, quickness and high motor, the Titans’ pass rush would instantly be boosted within the inside.

Pair him up with veteran defensive end Jurrell Casey, and the Titans should be dangerous against both the run and the pass next season.

Over the course of 89 games, Richardson totals 335 tackles, 23.5 sacks, one safety, seven passes defensed and one interception.

Regardless of how they choose to do it, the Titans must bring improvement to the defensive front and bring Casey some help before the 2019 season begins."

2 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Interesting.  Richardson is slightly under 300 pounds and more similar to Casey than Vince Wilfork.  So now an argument is made for him?  Not that I disagree on a guy like Richardson. 

I have hard time seeing what position Richardson would play thats not Casey's spot. 

34 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I guess we can forget the 60% of the time we are in a 4 man front? 

I already pointed out that except for Casey we had a roster filled with 320 pounds guys.  Granted, a few of those guys aren't playing like they are 320 pounds.  But we have a pretty decent lineup for 3-4 play and obviously could use a squatty 2 gap guy at NT who would play maybe 40% of the time.  An individual like that would offer little for pass rush.  A guy like Suh, while not dominating, is still a good combination of run stuffing and passing rushing.  He can take up blockers. 

But I hate to say it.....  we are going back to the insane stupidity I heard when Donald was in the draft.  We literally had nit wits saying we wouldn't want him because we already have Casey.  No, Richardson isn't Donald but it is the same squirrely thinking.  Yea, we don't want a guy who can beat a guy one on one and pressure the QB.  We already have one of those.........  The money plays on defense are 3rd down and the end of each half.  The downs where we need a stop.  Yea, put in a guy more comparable to Casey and Casey with Landry on the outside hopefully with someone else who can get pressure on the edge.  Guess what?  We get a rush with 4 guys.  That is how you beat the best teams and these high powered offenses.  Also, when you do decide to send a guy like Evans or Byard after the QB it can often be a free run.  Ask Brady what that was like when he got beat by the Giants.... twice.

Now Richardson has never really lived up to the draft spot and hype.  He is no Fletcher Cox by a long shot.  Certainly Jones and Johnson have not lived up to what we want either. 

I'm not sure you get how this defense works at all.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:31 AM, JoelinBellevue said:

Our TEs produced very well. Smith will be back, and they must be happy with Stocker blocking because they released Fowler. We have Firsker and the other guy. Other places need attention worse. What I meant was the people we drafted last year were supposed to be ready this year. Now we have to go through with another OC. I can hear the excuses already.  We really need a speed back instead of Lewis, and a guard for sure. 

Smith won't be much of a factor this coming season.  He blew his knee out in practically the last game.