big2033

Arthur Smith: Likes 2018 system, team will use same language.

20 hours ago, japan said:

Is it just me or does reading/listening to coaches talk about their plans feel like reading an instruction manual that doesn't really tell you a damn thing about how to assemble the furniture you bought at Ikea?

My brain needs stimulation and ain't nobody gettin reasonably stimulated from these pressers.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:36 PM, tgo said:

I didn't find the answer to be that vague personally. 

He said "Zone is a great starting point for us, and there's a lot of schemes that fit Derrick and that fit Dion and that fit David Fluellen or whoever else that's going to be on the roster that we'll hand the ball to. Whether you're running zone, gaps, pin pulls, zone read, there's a certain mentality we want to play with coming off the football. We want to be physical and knock people back. But that's not necessarily saying we're only going to run gap schemes or we're only going to run zone schemes. We're going to try to give us an advantage."

It's pretty obvious to me that what some of us had speculated is going to happen--they're no longer going to just be running exclusively zone like under LaFleur. They're going to run zone and power both and will be much more multiple in the run game. 

Smith also made a point that there's several different variants of the core offense that he's going to run - LaFleur's variant of the West Coast, Loggains variant, Cignetti's variant that he coached in college. 

Basically he's saying that the fundamental system and language will be kept intact, but it will not necessarily be the Shanahan offense.

God the analysis by local writers out there of this press conference so far is so elementary lol. 

As I said before... it's basically a Frankenstein of the past offenses he's coached in here. It makes a lot of sense, but people laughed at me and I'll never let it go! :P

So I assume Mariota will be passing out of play action, with some shotgun and hurry up thrown in for good measure .. I also assume the offense will try and take advantage of specific matchups each play

I know it's all "new hire" talk at this point, but I liked his comments about planning and adjustments.  I'm interested/excited to see how Smith game plans and does in game adjustments, and hope that Vrabel really pushes this with him (which I think he will).  

On 2/6/2019 at 6:33 AM, OILERMAN said:

Mulakrey's two years he had the best record vs winning teams and playoff teams. The Eagles were decimated and nothing special and Dallas? LOL. The Pats themselves lost to some mediocre teams, it was their worst team in a long time. 

Acting like Vrabel did the impossible by beating those teams is hyperbole. 

I'd rather have Vrabel than Mularkey everything being equal. 

The retard Mularkey went 9-7, the genius Vrabel went 9-7. Amazing

ha ha ha.  Never change Oman...

Edited by japan

18 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Is that a permanent characteristic?  I'm not sure how you build around that.

Yeah ... IMO we're in the part of a QB's career where everyone is no longer speaking about stardom. Now everyone is being nice and looking at the positives that you could "win" games with.

But the bar is being set pretty low if you pay attention to what he's saying.

You could gameplan around Alex Smith too. Doesn't make it a great idea or worth it.

The talk on Mariota is now "I like him," you can "win with him" he's a "good piece" or now "give him planned throws."

I mean look at this:

"I love him & I would build offense around him. I would run him more. You cant put players in position that their mechanics cant allow them to do. With Mariota, the ball is out of sequence in delivery, he ends up rushing the throw...Let him be who he is."

It's a positive indictment lol.

Edited by big2033

On 2/6/2019 at 4:19 PM, OILERMAN said:

They ran the ball more on 1st down last year than either Mularkey year and that includes after the bye when Mariota was healthy. Including wildcat stuff.

Smith is clearly going with more of a Mularkey type offense, 2 and 3 TEs, power running with playaction. 

They have to protect and manage Mariota, it's clear 

Because the qbs hand was non-functional. 

What dont one you get? The offense we saw last year was not the offense they wanted to implement in the previous offseason. 

23 hours ago, titanruss said:

Because the qbs hand was non-functional. 

What dont one you get? The offense we saw last year was not the offense they wanted to implement in the previous offseason. 

They get farther and farther away from the truth as time goes by. In a month the nerve injury will be all but forgotten except by a few lol.

Edited by Huston