Jump to content
big2033

Arthur Smith: Likes 2018 system, team will use same language.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The retard Mularkey went 9-7, the genius Vrabel went 9-7. Amazing

The retard had the team with the fewest starters on the injury report every week out of all the teams in the NFL.

Vrabel had the team with the most injuries, or damned close to it.

 

The two seasons aren't comparable for anything more than their final record.

Well, except for the other retards who are still crowing about Mularkey's prowess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huston   
41 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

The retard had the team with the fewest starters on the injury report every week out of all the teams in the NFL.

Vrabel had the team with the most injuries, or damned close to it.

 

The two seasons aren't comparable for anything more than their final record.

Well, except for the other retards who are still crowing about Mularkey's prowess.

And the wins against the Eagles Cowboys and even the Pats were just blind luck too in his eyes lol he has more excuse for Mularkey then the so called Marcus homers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huston   
4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'm completely on board with Smith's ideas on what the offense should look like. Aside from the late season flukey broken leg Mariota was barely hit in 2016 and the offense was very good running a playaction based passing game off of a power running game. 

 

If Henry can pick up where he left off the Titans could have a dominant running game and get big plays from Davis and the TEs.

 

Mariota can play adequate if they can run and use playaction. Control the clock and rest the defense. 

Never mind lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   

Bottom line, we're playing to our strengths. And just like previous staffs have noticed, it's the run game.

 

From that starting point our passing game has to grow or we'll continue to lean on it until we can't anymore.

Edited by big2033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nine   

The way I read it, Smith's comments essentially underscore what some (including myself) thought when he was hired:   the system and terminology will remain largely intact....but he'll also draw from the other coaches and systems he's worked in.

 

And perhaps just as important....Smith understands where those systems fell short and what didn't work, and he's intent on avoiding those same mistakes.

 

But for all the discussion about the system......at this point, it's nothing more than meaningless fluff.  Every offensive philosophy works in theory and every system looks great on paper.   Success (or failure) lies in the implementation and execution.   

 

The Mularkey/Robiskie playbook was fine...but Robiskie's playcalling left people scratching their heads and the execution was often lacking.   LaFleur's system was great...but his playcalling was occasionally suspect and poor execution was an ongoing problem.

 

Smith already has a couple big advantages:  he already knows the personnel inside out and has most of his starters returning....and likewise, the players already know the system and terminology.     Rather than starting from scratch, Smith can focus more on fine-tuning and adjustments, while the players can focus on honing their execution and improving their consistency.   The team is a whole is way ahead of where they were at this time last year.

 

Whether Smith will be an effective playcaller remains to be seen;   there's zero baseline to even form an opinion.  But his comments clearly imply that past coaches sometimes prioritized scheme over personnel and refused to make adjustments when their initial gameplan failed.  Hopefully Smith will be a bit more flexible and willing to recognize when things aren't going as planned and adjust accordingly.

 

I'm neither excited nor discouraged with Smith.  I'm just looking forward to next season, when we get to see what he brings to the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huston   
9 minutes ago, nine said:

The way I read it, Smith's comments essentially underscore what some (including myself) thought when he was hired:   the system and terminology will remain largely intact....but he'll also draw from the other coaches and systems he's worked in.

 

And perhaps just as important....Smith understands where those systems fell short and what didn't work, and he's intent on avoiding those same mistakes.

 

But for all the discussion about the system......at this point, it's nothing more than meaningless fluff.  Every offensive philosophy works in theory and every system looks great on paper.   Success (or failure) lies in the implementation and execution.   

 

The Mularkey/Robiskie playbook was fine...but Robiskie's playcalling left people scratching their heads and the execution was often lacking.   LaFleur's system was great...but his playcalling was occasionally suspect and poor execution was an ongoing problem.

 

Smith already has a couple big advantages:  he already knows the personnel inside out and has most of his starters returning....and likewise, the players already know the system and terminology.     Rather than starting from scratch, Smith can focus more on fine-tuning and adjustments, while the players can focus on honing their execution and improving their consistency.   The team is a whole is way ahead of where they were at this time last year.

 

Whether Smith will be an effective playcaller remains to be seen;   there's zero baseline to even form an opinion.  But his comments clearly imply that past coaches sometimes prioritized scheme over personnel and refused to make adjustments when their initial gameplan failed.  Hopefully Smith will be a bit more flexible and willing to recognize when things aren't going as planned and adjust accordingly.

 

I'm neither excited nor discouraged with Smith.  I'm just looking forward to next season, when we get to see what he brings to the table.

Agree 100% we dont know what he plans to actually run out of same system at this point but just that he plans on making quicker adjustments and better utilizing all the players on the roster more so  then last year. The fact that they aren't starting from scratch in a system that showed promise last year is a positive in itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BudAdams   

The playbooks for almost every NFL team are similar - teams copy from one another all the time.  It's the terminology and actual situational play calling that can differ.  Add in the execution element and they all factor in.  It takes everything in sync to work. 

 

I don't expect a big diversion from being a running team because I think the FO and coaches know the skill set of the players.  I did like hearing the focus on red zone as that went from being great in 2016 to bad in 2017/2018.  That's the low hanging fruit for the offense (passing game in particular) to make a huge leap in 2019.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The playbooks for almost every NFL team are similar - teams copy from one another all the time.  It's the terminology and actual situational play calling that can differ.  Add in the execution element and they all factor in.  It takes everything in sync to work. 

 

I don't expect a big diversion from being a running team because I think the FO and coaches know the skill set of the players.  I did like hearing the focus on red zone as that went from being great in 2016 to bad in 2017/2018.  That's the low hanging fruit for the offense (passing game in particular) to make a huge leap in 2019.

 

 

The problem is, what we did with the redzone in 2016 was, IMO, an anomaly. We literally ran the ball until we were in the redzone and used Mariota's quick passing ability on a short field to grab TDs.

 

With teams gearing to stop our run in 2017 forward ... we have to stretch the field and do a better job scoring outside of the redzone or it won't happen. Big plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huston   

The so called West coast offense is based of running the ball regardless of personnel or the QB first, everything else in the passing game is built from those looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BudAdams   
3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The problem is, what we did with the redzone in 2016 was, IMO, an anomaly. We literally ran the ball until we were in the redzone and used Mariota's quick passing ability on a short field to grab TDs.

 

With teams gearing to stop our run in 2017 forward ... we have to stretch the field and do a better job scoring outside of the redzone or it won't happen. Big plays.

I absolutely think they need to have more explosive pass plays outside the red zone but at the same time red zone TD efficiency has to be a lot better if they want to elevate the offense from 27th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   

Yea, we were 14th last year at 40% on 3rd down.  Only 21st the year before at 36.5%.  I see the massive difference.  Thanks for pointing that out. 

Edited by Soxcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huston   

The Athletic: You all promoted tight ends coach Arthur Smith to take over the offensive coordinator position vacated by Matt LaFleur. Was he someone whom, all along, you were comfortable taking on that added responsibility?

Robinson: I’ve always admired Arthur. I got to know him when I got here and he was on staff. When we made the (coaching) change last year, he was one of the coaches that I recommended to Mike (Vrabel). I don’t know that Mike really knew Arthur that well, but he was a guy that I thought did a good job with his position group. I thought he was really involved in every facet of offensive football, whether it was run-blocking or pass-blocking, route concepts. He’s a smart guy. He’s extremely dedicated to being a good football coach. He’s easy to talk to. He’s a good evaluator. I had a good rapport with him. I thought he was really, really respected by the players, which is a huge gauge.

We did our due diligence. But at the end of the day, we felt like it was really important for all 11 of those guys (on offense) — much is made about Marcus (Mariota), which that’s extremely important for continuity, but it’s all 11 on offense to have that same base and that same foundation. There’s some new things that we’ll put in, I’m sure, just like every other team. And there’s some things that we’ll take out and some things will carry over. But he’s a really smart guy and a good football coach, and I’m glad he’s our coordinator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...