Arthur Smith: Likes 2018 system, team will use same language.

big2033

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually think Smith will be much better about fitting the scheme to the personnel and not being so tied to the system he wants to run. He'll be far less inflexible than LaFleur was about the system

Albert Breer wrote a really interesting article on the Patriots calling two defenses on every play, they showed one alignment before the communication was shutoff between McVay/Goff and then switched

Two words:   Exotic Smashmouth 

He mentioned that as long as everyone is healthy, “12” and “13” personnel will be big parts of the gameplan because of the mismatches they can create with the tight ends on the roster.

Smith talked about how playing “physical” doesn’t just mean in the run game, that it applies to pass protection, how you finish plays with the ball in your hands, if you’re running with your teammates downfield, and added that the “passing game will evolve to fit our players’ skillsets.”

Mickey Ryan pointed out the advantage Smith has taking over this position with a roster he’s already familiar with. Smith expanded on that point:

“Certainly, it’s a much faster transition. When Matt got here last year, or if I’d gotten a job somewhere else, you have to spend the first couple months getting to know the players, getting to know how the building operates, certainly the roster, what their skillsets are. So now, I’ve been with these guys for a long time. It definitely helps. It helps because you know who they are, what they need to improve on, and how we want to plan to go forward.”

Edited by Huston

11 hours ago, Huston said:

While he has no play-calling experience, he is not unfamiliar with presenting to the entire offense, last year he presented red zone offense for LaFleur, who was very complimentary of all his work. [Unlocked]

The first way Smith hopes to help maximize Marcus Mariota is by not asking him to change a lot.

“He’s already changed enough,” Smith said. “So, when he comes in here, he’ll know exactly how we’re reading plays, he’ll know exactly how we’re calling plays. It just allows him to take another step… I think as the whole offensive improves in Year 2, it will help the quarterback.”

He also believes play-calling can help keep the QB healthy.

You make sure you keep changing the launch points for him, that helps, he said. “The way the game is going, you’re able to run the ball or you’re able to move people off the line of scrimmage, it opens up a lot of things for him. So yeah, there’s certain areas of play-calling that go into it, and understand what your matchups may be week-to-week.

“Whether they’re inside or outside, the percentage these guys are going to blitz you in certain situations. That all factors into it. But, play-calling definitely can help. It’s not the end-all be-all, but there definitely will be a conscious effort to keep him healthy.”

Thats last point was the best part of the article to me, I though Lafluer could have done a better job of this last year.

I've got to say that my worst fears in the MLF/McVay offensive tree were realized in the Superbowl. Running to help the pass is great but passing seems extra hard when the run isn't there in that scheme.  BB shut down the run and the screens and suddenly that offense looked stodgy, predictable, dare I say gimmicky?  Not trickery, but gimmicky, it feels like a one trick pony.

I'm interested to see what tweaks Smith brings. I do think his being here for all the bullshit and changes is a good thing, his firsthand knowledge will inform him well.

3 hours ago, japan said:

Smith following Vravel’s lead in trashing the Mularkey/Robiskie 2017 rushing strategy. 

They ran the ball more on 1st down last year than either Mularkey year and that includes after the bye when Mariota was healthy. Including wildcat stuff.

Smith is clearly going with more of a Mularkey type offense, 2 and 3 TEs, power running with playaction. 

They have to protect and manage Mariota, it's clear 

20 minutes ago, newschool said:

BB shut down the run and the screens and suddenly that offense looked stodgy, predictable, dare I say gimmicky?  Not trickery, but gimmicky, it feels like a one trick pony.

This was because of poor play by Goff not bad schemes. Cook was wide open for a TD and there were other open plays

12 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This was because of poor play by Goff not bad schemes. Cook was wide open for a TD and there were other open plays

I do think a better quarterback could have done more. I don't think they had guys running wide open like they usually do on seemingly every play. There's a reason they didn't put up their customary 35 plus points.

The schemes weren't bad, but they were outschemed. Without the threat of the run the offense became one dimensional quickly. 

Edited by newschool

2 minutes ago, newschool said:

I do think a better quarterback could have done more. I don't think they had guys running wide open like they usually do on seemingly every play. There's a reason they didn't put up their customary 35 plus points.

Bill Belichick has shut down the greatest offenses of all time since he was the DC of the Giants. His genius plus Goff's horrid play equaled 3 points. 

41 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Albert Breer wrote a really interesting article on the Patriots calling two defenses on every play, they showed one alignment before the communication was shutoff between McVay/Goff and then switched alignments before the ball was snapped, Goff had absolutely no idea what was going on.

While in the short term McVay basically telling Goff what to do helped the offense be efficient, but you have to wonder if it has stunted his long term growth.

Yea BB def used that against the Rams. I don't think Goff is capable to reading and executing the offense at this point. 

51 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Albert Breer wrote a really interesting article on the Patriots calling two defenses on every play, they showed one alignment before the communication was shutoff between McVay/Goff and then switched alignments before the ball was snapped, Goff had absolutely no idea what was going on.

While in the short term McVay basically telling Goff what to do helped the offense be efficient, but you have to wonder if it has stunted his long term growth.

Not that switching alignment is anything new, but the way they implemented it was systematic and perfect. Sunday showed BB had way more to do with those SBs than Brady.