Arthur Smith: Likes 2018 system, team will use same language.

big2033

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually think Smith will be much better about fitting the scheme to the personnel and not being so tied to the system he wants to run. He'll be far less inflexible than LaFleur was about the system

Albert Breer wrote a really interesting article on the Patriots calling two defenses on every play, they showed one alignment before the communication was shutoff between McVay/Goff and then switched

Two words:   Exotic Smashmouth 

Arthur Smith has definitely already got the knack of a JRob guy-- he's great at giving vague statements.

"we want to be a tough physical football team with tough players"

"Goal of the offense is to score more points than the other team"

"We want to put our guys in the best system possible to succeed"

"We're going to have a nice combination of run and pass"

"We're going to take what the defense"

Cue Titans fans drooling about how awesome this guy is... 

I hope he turns into something great, he has just as good as of a shot as any candidate proposed by this board for the OC job. 

**JUST AS A CLARIFICATION- these are not actual quotes but an exaggeration; I felt he was a bit vague.

Edited by Tnasty
clarifying

Using the same playcalling verbiage is smart. No reason to change everything when most of the coaches and players will be back.

As for Smith, the real question isn’t the language of the playbook but how he will call the plays. You could use the same playcalls and still switch from a run and shoot to an exotic smashmouth. The playbook doesn’t have to change for the offense to change.

I do assume then that they will stick to zone blocking rather than switch back to power blocking. But I guess that’s no guarantee.

Just now, tgo said:

Please tell me that one of these reporters asked whether he plans to run a zone blocking scheme or a power blocking scheme. 

Haven't been able to listen yet. 

Paul did -- fairly vague answer but appears so

While he has no play-calling experience, he is not unfamiliar with presenting to the entire offense, last year he presented red zone offense for LaFleur, who was very complimentary of all his work. [Unlocked]

The first way Smith hopes to help maximize Marcus Mariota is by not asking him to change a lot.

“He’s already changed enough,” Smith said. “So, when he comes in here, he’ll know exactly how we’re reading plays, he’ll know exactly how we’re calling plays. It just allows him to take another step… I think as the whole offensive improves in Year 2, it will help the quarterback.”

He also believes play-calling can help keep the QB healthy.

You make sure you keep changing the launch points for him, that helps, he said. “The way the game is going, you’re able to run the ball or you’re able to move people off the line of scrimmage, it opens up a lot of things for him. So yeah, there’s certain areas of play-calling that go into it, and understand what your matchups may be week-to-week.

“Whether they’re inside or outside, the percentage these guys are going to blitz you in certain situations. That all factors into it. But, play-calling definitely can help. It’s not the end-all be-all, but there definitely will be a conscious effort to keep him healthy.”

Thats last point was the best part of the article to me, I though Lafluer could have done a better job of this last year.

I find it mind boggling that people walked away from this press conference saying "oh they're going to just run the exact same offense."

What he said was that he likes the same base system (West Coast, presumably vs. Coryell, etc.) and will keep the same language. 

But the offense will obviously change. To say that "nothing will change" on offense is not accurate, based on everything Smith indicated. 

Edited by tgo