Jump to content
tgo

Lengthy Jon Robinson Interview Article

Recommended Posts

tgo   
Just now, titanskick8851 said:

True. Maybe going after a players such as Cameron Fleming/LaAdrian Waddle would be potential options and playing them at OG. They both mainly play OT, but would move along the line when NE had injuries. The biggest question mark being how would those two fair in a zone blocking scheme (if it stays the same) as I believe NE has been more of a power blocking team.


Jake Fisher could be an interesting option as well. 

Yeah I think that's kind of the thing with players from New England, they've played mainly in a power blocking scheme - although Cameron Fleming has been in the ZBS with Dallas. 

 

Guards I have my eye on are: 

 

Rodger Saffold (Probably too pricey)

Kelechi Osemele (Maybe too pricey--Downing/Moore connection)

Ramon Foster (From Tennessee, affordable, probably re-signs with Steelers)

Jamon Brown (We put in a waiver claim on him)

Ben Garland (Cheap-Keith Carter Connection)

Tony Bergstrom (versatile journeyman ZBS guy)

Eric Kush (Robinson connection, ZBS guy)

Andy Levtire (Carter connection, maybe too old and injury prone, may not want to come back to TN)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tgo said:

Nothing at all really. 

 

He said there are several different avenues they could pursue going forward and that they'll find the one that's best for Marcus and best for the team and take that avenue. 

I read his response as VERY noncommittal to Mariota. It sounded to me like Mariota either has another down year and they move on from him or he has a good year and they re-sign/franchise him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BudAdams   
8 minutes ago, terradawg said:

I read his response as VERY noncommittal to Mariota. It sounded to me like Mariota either has another down year and they move on from him or he has a good year and they re-sign/franchise him.

How could it be anything else???  Mariota hasn't earned a second contract given his up and down play and durability issues.  Hence, 2019 is a huge season for the Titans and Mariota.  If MM plays well, they'll tag him or extend him.  If it's a repeat of 2017/2018, it's a much different outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tgo said:

Yeah I think that's kind of the thing with players from New England, they've played mainly in a power blocking scheme - although Cameron Fleming has been in the ZBS with Dallas. 

 

Guards I have my eye on are: 

 

Rodger Saffold (Probably too pricey)

Kelechi Osemele (Maybe too pricey--Downing/Moore connection)

Ramon Foster (From Tennessee, affordable, probably re-signs with Steelers)

Jamon Brown (We put in a waiver claim on him)

Ben Garland (Cheap-Keith Carter Connection)

Tony Bergstrom (versatile journeyman ZBS guy)

Eric Kush (Robinson connection, ZBS guy)

Andy Levtire (Carter connection, maybe too old and injury prone, may not want to come back to TN)

 

 

What happened with Jamon Brown with the Rams?

He was thought to have some potential and he fell off so much that they cut him mid year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   
5 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

How could it be anything else???  Mariota hasn't earned a second contract given his up and down play and durability issues.  Hence, 2019 is a huge season for the Titans and Mariota.  If MM plays well, they'll tag him or extend him.  If it's a repeat of 2017/2018, it's a much different outcome.

Yea, even if Mariota somehow stays healthy and has a decent year they have to be thinking of the risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
7 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

What happened with Jamon Brown with the Rams?

He was thought to have some potential and he fell off so much that they cut him mid year?

I think basically he got injured and lost his starting job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

What happened with Jamon Brown with the Rams?

He was thought to have some potential and he fell off so much that they cut him mid year?

With how horrific Blythe was yesterday the Rams could of used Brown in the SB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   

The issue is whatever the opinion is on Mariota he's the Titans QB and the bigger issue is it's almost impossible to upgrade the position more so because of the scarcity of the position not because of how good Mariota is. 

 

How can Robinson and Vrabel win with this set up. 

 

Goff is absolutely a lot like Mariota, he needs a running game, playaction and defined reads to succeed. If either guy has to drop back and make multiple reads they completely fall apart. 

 

The Rams made it to the SB with Goff with an absolutely loaded roster that included the best defensive and offensive players in the league. McVay did a great job scheming and working around Goff's limitations but honestly teams were already starting to figure out how to expose Goff and the scheme. 

 

Robinson's only option is to build the roster and Vrabel and Smith have to figure out what they can do best offensively to work around Mariota. That likely includes a smash mouth running game, RPOs and designed QB runs, screens and playaction. Henry will have to continue playing like he did late last year. 

 

BTW, I actually think Belichick did the same thing with a declining Brady. He did a great job working around Brady's limitations and became a smash mouth running team that threw a lot of shorter passes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thrill   
2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

BTW, I actually think Belichick did the same thing with a declining Brady. He did a great job working around Brady's limitations and became a smash mouth running team that threw a lot of shorter passes. 

I didn’t realize until Jim nance said it but Brady wasn’t top 10 in any major qb category this year. I think in most categories he was like 11-14. Which basically says he’s becoming closer to average in his old age. But belichick is amazing and able to work with it using tons of quick screens and rb dumpoffs. 

Edited by Thrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abc2330   
2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The issue is whatever the opinion is on Mariota he's the Titans QB and the bigger issue is it's almost impossible to upgrade the position more so because of the scarcity of the position not because of how good Mariota is. 

 

How can Robinson and Vrabel win with this set up. 

 

Goff is absolutely a lot like Mariota, he needs a running game, playaction and defined reads to succeed. If either guy has to drop back and make multiple reads they completely fall apart. 

 

The Rams made it to the SB with Goff with an absolutely loaded roster that included the best defensive and offensive players in the league. McVay did a great job scheming and working around Goff's limitations but honestly teams were already starting to figure out how to expose Goff and the scheme. 

 

Robinson's only option is to build the roster and Vrabel and Smith have to figure out what they can do best offensively to work around Mariota. That likely includes a smash mouth running game, RPOs and designed QB runs, screens and playaction. Henry will have to continue playing like he did late last year. 

 

BTW, I actually think Belichick did the same thing with a declining Brady. He did a great job working around Brady's limitations and became a smash mouth running team that threw a lot of shorter passes. 

RPOs would be a game changer for Mariota.  But that's exactly what put us in QB hell this year.  Subjecting him to hits has bit us in the ass each year.  But I guess you have to do what he's best at, and cut ties after this year if he can't handle it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
21 hours ago, BudAdams said:

I think the reality is that Mariota is a lot like Goff.  They can be effective but you need to do some scheming to do it.  Hell. the same applies to Russell Wilson to an extent.

 

This team is going to be built on complementary football and it's a proven formula.  If they can have a consistent run game and use play action to take shots down the field and in the red zone, the offense can go from poor-mediocre to good. 

The same applied to Wilson, but he grew out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GOAT9   

If they fix the OL, they will be surprised at how much more effective the offense is, even without adding players at the other positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Omar said:

MM needs himself a Julian Edelman...A slot WR he can count on. The return of Delanie will also help. 

I woudln't count on Walker that much. He's 34 coming off a bad injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abc2330   
34 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

If they fix the OL, they will be surprised at how much more effective the offense is, even without adding players at the other positions. 

You can't protect a QB who freaks out and runs into D linemen when his first read isn't open.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...