tgo

Lengthy Jon Robinson Interview Article

tgo   

I think this one is behind the pay wall, but a great read for those who subscribe to The Athletic. 

Some Key Quotes: 

"Offensively, the more that we can establish the run game and protect the quarterback and get open and get guys that can catch it and run with it, the higher your chances are for success. That’s what every team is trying to do."

"I think it’s gameplan specific. I think against certain personnel groupings, we might throw the ball or hand the ball to Dion. And there’s certain personnel groupings we’ll let Derrick do a lot of the heavy lifting. It’s going to be gameplan specific."

Losing Brian Orakpo to retirement (and maybe Derrick Morgan, whose contract is up), you’re suddenly very young at that edge group. Does that become an area of focus in free agency, trying to maintain a veteran presence there?

"With any position group, you hope to strike that balance. You want that veteran presence, that solid guy to show the way."

(This is further confirmation of what most of have surmised. Well be signing a free agent OLBer.)

"I think the sack numbers get misconstrued sometimes. Sometimes it’s just about affecting the pass play. If you’re affecting the passer and they don’t complete the ball — sacks are great, but the most important thing is that the other team doesn’t get yardage."

(Further testament to what I've said about this scheme not producing big sack numbers. Probably won't happen next year either.)

A ton of good stuff in here, but didn't want to post ALL the juicy stuff. 

Edited by tgo

japan   

You should have highlighted this sentence also:

and get open and get guys that can catch it and run with it

tgo   
2 minutes ago, japan said:

You should have highlighted this sentence also:

and get open and get guys that can catch it and run with it

Well, the question was about protecting Mariota. 

When they say "establish" the run, that's what they mean. 

A lot of these teams aren't focusing on this. We will continue to do that, just as we have for the last 3 years, perhaps even moreso. 

Edited by tgo

BudAdams   

I think the reality is that Mariota is a lot like Goff.  They can be effective but you need to do some scheming to do it.  Hell. the same applies to Russell Wilson to an extent.

This team is going to be built on complementary football and it's a proven formula.  If they can have a consistent run game and use play action to take shots down the field and in the red zone, the offense can go from poor-mediocre to good. 

tgo   
8 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I think the reality is that Mariota is a lot like Goff.  They can be effective but you need to do some scheming to do it.  Hell. the same applies to Russell Wilson to an extent.

This team is going to be built on complementary football and it's a proven formula.  If they can have a consistent run game and use play action to take shots down the field and in the red zone, the offense can go from poor-mediocre to good. 

Wilson is in a different league than Mariota and Goff. 

tgo   
8 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

What did JRob say about extending Mariota?

Nothing at all really. 

He said there are several different avenues they could pursue going forward and that they'll find the one that's best for Marcus and best for the team and take that avenue. 

BudAdams   
1 minute ago, tgo said:

Wilson is in a different league than Mariota and Goff. 

I agree but he is far more efficient when they have a good run game and are able to use play action to have explosive pass plays.  In games where the run game is not effective or they throw it more than 30 times, Wilson's less effective.  It's not necessarily a knock on the player but it's contrasted with some other QB's that solely drop back and pass it 30-40 times.

abc2330   
3 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I agree but he is far more efficient when they have a good run game and are able to use play action to have explosive pass plays.  In games where the run game is not effective or they throw it more than 30 times, Wilson's less effective.  It's not necessarily a knock on the player but it's contrasted with some other QB's that solely drop back and pass it 30-40 times.

Wilson has also had garbage OLs and coaches.  I'd like to see him on a team capable of building around him.

tgo   
2 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Wilson has also had garbage OLs and coaches.  I'd like to see him on a team capable of building around him.

It's crazy how Schneider in Seattle just doesn't give two fucks about OL.

BudAdams   
22 minutes ago, tgo said:

It's crazy how Schneider in Seattle just doesn't give two fucks about OL.

Actually they invested a number of picks into the OL with mixed results - Okung, Carpenter, and Ifedi were first rounders and Britt, Glowinski, and others were early round picks. 

Their OL this year was better thanks to their trade in 2017 for Duane Brown and signings of Fluker and Sweezy.

The reality is that they basically had a handful of years where the cap was allocated to their defense with guys on big second contracts.  They tried to use young OL on first contracts to alleviate that but most struggled under Cable but also with Wilson's style of play (see below).

25 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

The change from Cable to Solari was a huge difference maker - the line was better this year.  Saying that, Wilson does create some of the pass protection problems by holding the ball or scrambling around in past years.  In 2018, he did far less of that but I saw a metric that pointed to Wilson for a good % of their sacks allowed.  You take the good with the bad there as he's clearly a top tier QB production wise.  I'd argue Seattle is building around him because his optimum play exactly matches how Carroll wants that team to play.

Edited by BudAdams