Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MIKE75

Opinion Change We Need To Focus On Improving Offense

Recommended Posts

MIKE75   

With all the rules and such the offense in todays NFL has the advantage.

 

Not saying ignore our defense just saying we need to improve offensively.

 

We aren't gonna win enough games trying to beat teams with a good defense. Doesn't work like it once did. We need to get weapons on offense and try to improve in that regard.

 

I think if we fix the interior offensive line,get a young stud RB to pair with Henry and last but definitely not least we need to sign a WR an experienced one in free agency. Would not make sense to keep bringing in young WR's we have enough already and not enough experience.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kyle021   

I’m beginning to think they address WR and OLB in FA as well as a blocking TE. Maybe they like Pruitt for that. I don’t know. 

 

I am going to venture and say we see a tandem like 

 

Brown and Humphries at WR. 

Flowers/Preston Smith at OLB

Paulsen at TE to serve as the blocking TE

Malcom Brown - DT

 

hit the draft and...

 

1) Marquise Brown - WR

2) Jeffrey Simmons - DE/DT (I think he drops r/t character and no combine invite)

3) Jalen Jelks - OLB

4) TJ McCoy - OG/OC

5) Rodney Anderson - RB

 

that adds

 

RB - Henry, Lewis, Anderson

 

WR - Davis, Brown, Humphries, Taylor, Sharpe, Jennings

 

TE - Walker, Smith, Paulson, Firkser 

 

OT - Lewan, Conklin, Kelly, Pamphile

OG - Kline, Spain, McCoy, Levin, Pamphile

C - Jones, McCoy, Levin

 

 

DL - Casey, Simmons, Jones, Johnson, Brown

 

OLB - Flowers, Landry, Jelks, Finch, Correa

ILB - Woodyard, Evans, Brown, Bates

CB - Butler, Jackson, Ryan, Sims, Kalu

S - Byard, Vaccaro, Cruikshank, Trawick

 

KR - Jennings

PR - Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GOAT9   
13 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

With all the rules and such the offense in todays NFL has the advantage.

 

Not saying ignore our defense just saying we need to improve offensively.

 

We aren't gonna win enough games trying to beat teams with a good defense. Doesn't work like it once did. We need to get weapons on offense and try to improve in that regard.

 

I think if we fix the interior offensive line,get a young stud RB to pair with Henry and last but definitely not least we need to sign a WR an experienced one in free agency. Would not make sense to keep bringing in young WR's we have enough already and not enough experience.

 

 

Did you not watch the Super Bowl? 

 

But yes, we at least need to address the Guard position. We also need to address the DL and Edge. I would rather we get a stud TE in case Walker doesn't recover fully. If he does then we could run 2 TE sets which would help the run and pass game. I am okay with sticking with the WRs we have now. They are young and should improve, and I don't see any WR in FA that would help us that much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kyle021   
3 hours ago, GOAT9 said:

Did you not watch the Super Bowl? 

 

But yes, we at least need to address the Guard position. We also need to address the DL and Edge. I would rather we get a stud TE in case Walker doesn't recover fully. If he does then we could run 2 TE sets which would help the run and pass game. I am okay with sticking with the WRs we have now. They are young and should improve, and I don't see any WR in FA that would help us that much. 

What to do with Smith?

 

Flex in the slot like Hernandez?

 

Walker on the line or split in the slot with Hock in-line? Or Walker in-line with Hock in the slot?

 

a 3 TE set of Walker on one side and Hockenson the other with Smith in the slot and Davis and Taylor bounced to the same side would be dirty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GOAT9   
9 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

What to do with Smith?

 

Flex in the slot like Hernandez?

 

Walker on the line or split in the slot with Hock in-line? Or Walker in-line with Hock in the slot?

 

a 3 TE set of Walker on one side and Hockenson the other with Smith in the slot and Davis and Taylor bounced to the same side would be dirty

Isnt Smith recovering from a season ending injury as well? We can still use him but I don't think he is ever going to be an impact type of player. Im all for Hockenson. The videos I saw of him were impressive. If Walker can come back healthy, and if Davis and Taylor can continue to improve with experience, then I think adding Hockenson would be a lethal combination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tnasty   
21 hours ago, Number9 said:

I have accepted the Titans are in it for the money. They will do some things, but their goal #1 is sell tickets. 

Our lackluster offseasons are key evidence of this. Everyone expecting big moves in FA will be sorely disappointed (again).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
23 hours ago, Number9 said:

I have accepted the Titans are in it for the money. They will do some things, but their goal #1 is sell tickets. 

 

1 hour ago, Tnasty said:

Our lackluster offseasons are key evidence of this. Everyone expecting big moves in FA will be sorely disappointed (again).

Bullshit. QB solves this problem.

 

The Patriots rarely spend shit and keep winning titles.

 

If I was a GM, I wouldn't throw a ton of money at anything unless i absolutely knew the team was set where it mattered.

 

It isn't so why stack your team like the Jaguars? Where has that gotten them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
31 minutes ago, big2033 said:

 

Bullshit. QB solves this problem.

 

The Patriots rarely spend shit and keep winning titles.

 

If I was a GM, I wouldn't throw a ton of money at anything unless i absolutely knew the team was set where it mattered.

 

It isn't so why stack your team like the Jaguars? Where has that gotten them?

The Patriots are the worst example you could make.  You say QB solves this problem.  Drew Bledsoe was the QB and they sat him down.  They continue to draft and develop QBs who get teams all over the league.  The Titans don't do that.  Also, the Patriots are just one team that was in the Super Bowl.  Look at what the Rams have done.  

 

See your example to prove your points are the Jags and Pats.  The Eagles had Foles last year and won a SB with him.  If QB solves the problem, why weren't the Titans trying like hell to get a really good backup in 2017 and 2018.  I knew we had a playoff caliber roster in 2018, 11-5.  So they also knew it and did nothing to solve the backup problem.  Lewis was a big signing, but he was not supposed to be used the way they used him.  Again, they did not attack the problem.  We need an elite PR. they went after Suh, who else?  

 

I agree with you about most every thing.  But we will not go get the talent we should and as long as fans buy seats, they won't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 2:48 PM, Number9 said:

I have accepted the Titans are in it for the money. They will do some things, but their goal #1 is sell tickets. 

Well if that’s their goal. Raising the ticket prices 15% after a season where the team didn’t even make the playoffs, isn’t necessarily going to sell more tickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
28 minutes ago, Number9 said:

The Patriots are the worst example you could make.  You say QB solves this problem.  Drew Bledsoe was the QB and they sat him down.  They continue to draft and develop QBs who get teams all over the league.  The Titans don't do that.  Also, the Patriots are just one team that was in the Super Bowl.  Look at what the Rams have done.  

 

See your example to prove your points are the Jags and Pats.  The Eagles had Foles last year and won a SB with him.  If QB solves the problem, why weren't the Titans trying like hell to get a really good backup in 2017 and 2018.  I knew we had a playoff caliber roster in 2018, 11-5.  So they also knew it and did nothing to solve the backup problem.  Lewis was a big signing, but he was not supposed to be used the way they used him.  Again, they did not attack the problem.  We need an elite PR. they went after Suh, who else?  

 

I agree with you about most every thing.  But we will not go get the talent we should and as long as fans buy seats, they won't.  

They thought Mariota was the answer. He isn't.

 

You had two examples of backups doing well. Most of the time backups do nothing for you.

 

We've drafted Brady-level college talent at QB. Didn't work out.

 

Backups are generally a waste tbh. And Nick Foles doesn't change that. 

 

If you have to pay started money to your backup, time for a new starter. The only reason Foles survived is because he won a Super Bowl and Wentz was hurt.

 

But spending money when you're lacking at the most important position doesn't get you anywhere IMO.

 

Your team has to FIRST show that they are an elite squad. The Rams did that. The Titans have not.

 

The Rams GM, after McVay's first season, knew he had an elite team, so he built on it.

 

We have not shown that. You might believe it, but we haven't shown it.

Edited by big2033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tnasty   
51 minutes ago, big2033 said:

 

Bullshit. QB solves this problem.

 

The Patriots rarely spend shit and keep winning titles.

 

If I was a GM, I wouldn't throw a ton of money at anything unless i absolutely knew the team was set where it mattered.

 

It isn't so why stack your team like the Jaguars? Where has that gotten them?

Really going to bring in the Patriots to this conversation? They are a completely different breed than any other NFL team. They could cut half their team and still make the playoffs next year. They lost Brady for a year and went 11-5 with Matt freaking Cassel.

 

Mostly, I agree with the sentiment that a team is built through the draft. It is definitely true. However, smart FA pickups can take a team from OK or good to great. Bears and Rams are two good examples of teams that did well in FA to make a drastic jump in 2018.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
13 minutes ago, Tnasty said:

Really going to bring in the Patriots to this conversation? They are a completely different breed than any other NFL team. They could cut half their team and still make the playoffs next year. They lost Brady for a year and went 11-5 with Matt freaking Cassel.

 

Mostly, I agree with the sentiment that a team is built through the draft. It is definitely true. However, smart FA pickups can take a team from OK or good to great. Bears and Rams are two good examples of teams that did well in FA to make a drastic jump in 2018.

 

 

 

Bears traded draft picks because they believe they have their QB of the future like we did. We also were aggressive and traded picks.

 

A Titans team won 13 games with Kerry freaking Collins. One year doesn't mean much. What did Cassell do after that? 

 

Most of the time without your starter at QB you're screwed. And if your starters is not a star, you're wasting your money on FA.

 

The "Win-Now" teams tend to start spending money. Teams that feel they can make a Super Bowl run. We're not that team.

 

When we have a top 15 offense then I'd argue we need to spend money. Then again, we have to pay our QB and LT too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tnasty   
2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Bears traded draft picks because they believe they have their QB of the future like we did. We also were aggressive and traded picks.

 

A Titans team won 13 games with Kerry freaking Collins. One year doesn't mean much. What did Cassell do after that? 

 

Most of the time without your starter at QB you're screwed. And if your starters is not a star, you're wasting your money on FA.

 

The "Win-Now" teams tend to start spending money. Teams that feel they can make a Super Bowl run. We're not that team.

 

When we have a top 15 offense then I'd argue we need to spend money. Then again, we have to pay our QB and LT too. 

Can you name me a year where the Titans went out into FA and made a big splash?

 

I'll wait

 

The whole point of the post was to support the idea that Titans brass only cares about selling tickets.

 

We are ALWAYS substantially below cap. We had 1 year where we resigned all of our guys to big contracts in early 2000s. Other than that, we've been well below.

 

Edited by Tnasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
14 minutes ago, Tnasty said:

Can you name me a year where the Titans went out into FA and made a big splash?

 

I'll wait

 

No. I can tell you the Jaguars did. How'd that work out for them? 

 

Who cares about how much money we spend? Will us spending make us better than 9-7? Maybe if we spend for Aaron Rodgers.

 

Other than that it's about fit in your system. The Patriots understand that.

 

I'd want to spend money on a WR when our passing game shows it's at least capable of being average.

Edited by big2033

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...